Trashing BladeForums.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joe,

I recall our e-mail exchange after I lost access to KFC. I would love to see you establish a "function and form" forum here. It would fill the gap between Dexter's Review Forum and Darrel's Maker's Forum. You'd cover the "why's", Dex the impressions and use reviews, and Darrel the "how's".

As for the KFC stuff, I found it intellectually lazy (although they get pluses for their very creative expressions) as there are Busse INFI knives out there albiet not the lesser modified INFI. So there is a basis for comparison.

I also agree with Spark. Don't stoop to the level of personal attacks. Any reasonable and prudent person can easily see through all the smoke and mirrors.

-=[Bob]=-

Snick, I love you man, but I think you may be out of line about thad. As I understand it, he has been there and done that. And maybe the piscrepancy between your memory and his description is due to the fact that you are separate people.

Joe, Knife Design and Function is wanted over here, that is primarily what I post about.

------------------
Marion David Poff aka Eye, one can msg me at mdpoff@hotmail.com If I fail to check back with this thread and you want some info, email me.

Check out my review of the Kasper AFCK, thougths on the AFCK and interview of Bob Kasper. http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/kasperafck.html

http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Meadows/1770/index.html

Joe I`d love to see a Design and test forum here on BF! There were some great discussions there before KF when down the tubes. As for trashing BF and the MD issue,I invited Kevin (admittedly tongue in cheek) to stop preaching to the choir and to come here and enlighten us. He refused saying that "Preaching to the choir is always preferable to preaching to the "deaf and dumb"." Take that as you will. I`d think someone who bills himself as the leader of the "Church of tactical truth" would be willing to preach anywhere and everywhere. LOL!
smile.gif
Marcus

I've found the best way to deal egomaniacs is not to deal with egomaniacs. Let them say what they wish and have their own choir...that seems to be where they are the most comfortable.

Didn't Spark make both BladeForums and KnifeForums?

------------------

Robert Joseph Ansbro

If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.-Stanley Kubrick, 1928-1999

http://www.Cinematopia.Com

I am the moderator on the forum "The Balcony" located at Cinematopia, please come support this brand new site

[This message has been edited by Mercury (edited 11 August 1999).]

If all the "experienced" folks and "experts" agreed on everything, it would just bore the bejesus out of me. I learn an awful lot from the exchanges of opinion and experiences I read here on the forums. I take most everything I read with a grain of salt and a sense of humor.

There's good information on both forums, even though I spend more time here.

Sometimes these opinion exchanges end in a push (agree to disagree) and sometimes they are resolved otherwise, but often they reveal some good information. Just because people see things differently doesn't make one right and another wrong. Life's too short to always be right, if you know what I mean.

If it works for you, it's ok by me.

I come here for the ambience (or ambiance if you prefer).
wink.gif

The free knives are nice too!
smile.gif

What the hell is this?

I enjoy both forums and there is no reason to get into rivalries about studpid stuff. People are fighting just for the sake of fighting. Even if there are disagreements, there is no reason to trash someone about it. I have posted things which I have regreted about this subject and made comments as well but why doesn't everyone just drop it?

Rehashing the bladeforums is this or knifeforums is this or McClung said this or whatever has nothing to do with knives. If fact, it detracts from so many of the great educational as well as humorous posts that are on here.

Jason

Mercury, yes, I made both sites, though I "left" the other site back in October of last year and started this site.

Guys, I have a lot of colloquialisms I like to live by, and several apply here to this thread.

"Practise what you preach"
"The proof is in the pudding"
"In the end, everyone get's what's coming to them"
"Do onto others..."

The list goes on and on.

Don't turn this thread into a BladeForums.com ("us") versus "them" contest. It's futile, a waste of time and energy. The last thing I want to do right now is get in a knock down, drag out flamewar about whose knives are better. We all have our preferences, and we all know who we would support for whatever reasons.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

After reading all this I was ready to go into the basement and get my flack jacket! talk about something heavy. I thought I was in the firingline.com Thats where my blood pressure can get going!

Spark is right you know. I checked out those threads at KnifeForums and they seem kind of anti-climactic as far as I can see. I don't really have a favorite SITE, but my favorite people happen to be here. Spark is cool and I have already learned a lot about knives from him, James Mattis is a great guy, and Mike Turber is one on the nicest people I have yet to meet online; If the people at KnifeForums don't want to interact and learn about cutlery with as many knowledgable people as they can, then it's their loss. Kit Carson and Spyderco wouldn't be caught dead in some cave of idiots, if we know that then isn't that enough? Although there is NOTHING in my pudding but creamy goodness, the message is well said and I would suggest we don't make BladeForums like the epicenter for knife quarrels on the internet (BladeForums vs BladeAuction anyone? And I helped stir up unneeded hysteria over that little thing!). The site doesn't deserve that, neither do we.

------------------
Robert Joseph Ansbro

If it can be written, or thought, it can be filmed.-Stanley Kubrick, 1928-1999

www.Cinematopia.com

I am the moderator on the forum "The Balcony" located at Cinematopia, please come support this brand new site

Spark, I didn't know that was a personal attack, I just thought I was giving examples, but if you want I can delete that post, everybody's heard what I have to say anyway. I may be a butthead, but at least I realize it and try to keep it in check. No, I'm not saying you're calling me a butthead, I'M calling me a butthead.

Marion, do you know the gentleman in question personaly and off the internet? The fact is talk is cheap, especialy on the Web, and you shouldn't take anything anyone, including me, says without a healthy dose of skepticism.

That's why I try to rely on documentable fact and reproducable results over annecdotal stories. That way my words can be independently verified.

Tobii3, check back about a month in the FMA forum, something about "who is santiago and what is this mexicn knife art". I don't hang there regularly, so maybe they ultimately worked that one out. The best part is that I have a manual on El Cuchillo sit'n right here on my lap... sigh...

Tuff, thanks for the compliment. I think it's more that I know weird things than that I know so much.(attempt at humilty
wink.gif
) Anyway, I'm honored that I have won your confidence.

Fight'n off them Drug Lords, huh?

[This message has been edited by Snickersnee (edited 11 August 1999).]

Snick, no need to delete the post, I just ask that everyone rein in on their anger before they post, or like my friend Rich L. puts it: Think twice, post once (with apologies to Chris Reeve
biggrin.gif
).

Nick, no, I never got paid, primarily because I decided that it wasn't worth my time fighting it out in court, the cost for that would outweigh anything I'd ever gain. Like I said before, everyone gets what's coming to them in the end. Just desserts, as it were.

Spark

------------------
Kevin Jon Schlossberg
SysOp and Administrator for BladeForums.com

Insert witty quip here

Joe - Though my time be tight these days, I must admit that I would "check in" on a BF design forum if you were moderating.
sal.

The heck with whatever is being said on KF.com; I want to throw in my support for Joe to come over here in ANY forum, call it whatever you want. Joe is one of the core people who first convinced me this knife-net stuff was worthwhile(along with Steve Harvey, Spark, Mike T, James Mattis, Dexter etc) and I'd be pleased to see him here as a regular moderator. Please ?

:
Joe:
I don't recall having been in your forum over there,but if it supports learning then I would like to see it here also.
You said it had a lot of high quality interaction and that is always good to see.
I am curious now and will check out the archives in and over the next few days.The more I learn,the less I "know."

I pretty much quit going over there when the Himalayan Imports forum was dropped.It wasn't rally that active and I understand why it was
dropped.
The whole deal is that there is a LOT of good information over there in the archives.
Some things are sometimes worth trying to save.One man a forum don't make.The forums are made up of us.

I sure don't agree with much that has went on there and especially with one maker,but that is personal.I have no idea what his knives are like.I have heard good and bad and I can't make a judgement on the knives,but I wouldn't buy anything from anyone like that anyway even if they had the best knives in the world.

There are also so many others that are easy to deal with that it is unnecessary to have to do business with those individuals we have personal issues with. As it has been said,"Vote with your wallet."

I don't go to "Sears" either,but I do like some of thier tools.
I wouldn't go to the Sears store because I swore I wouldn't as I crumpled up thier credit card and handed it to a manager.
I would probably ask someone to pick me up something if they were going though. Kind of like buying from a reputable dealer.I have yet to do that and it has been several years now.They lost a good customer.
They didn't care either.

------------------

>>>>---¥vsa---->®
The civilized man sleeps behind locked doors in the city while the naked savage sleeps (with a knife) in a open hut in the jungle.

I wanted this thread to go in a different direction but I guess by the amount of response in a short time there was some venting that needed to be done. I was hoping those attacked on their views of Busse vs. Mad Dog would defend themselves. I knew there would be some flames but not this much
frown.gif

I feel we need to defend ourselves when attacked. Literally or figuratively. I’m with Bob Irons, a grain of salt and a sense of humor.

As for Joe Talmadge the Moderator, he would be welcome to BF by me. If you stay at KFC fine, I’ll check your forums out there too. Now that I know they’re there
smile.gif

There are several BF members that post at KFC and I hope that continues. I will read and post at KFC as long as they will let me. If you read my Profile for both forums and look at the number of posts you'll see which one I like the most
smile.gif

------------------
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"
-Nordic proverb

[This message has been edited by David Williams (edited 12 August 1999).]

I sure wish Chris Reeve would move over here. Joe T and Chris are the only reason I go there, and that is only about once a week or so.
Jim

------------------
What? Another knife? Don't you have enough of those things already?
How many does one person need?
And just what are you going to do with this one that you can't do with the others?
What is the purpose of all these knives anyhow??

Joe :

I wonder if anyone would like to reconsider a Knife Design & Function forum here

Yes.

Atilla :

I only replied to this silly topic because you rightly CANNOT compare something to air

Which is not the case. INFI's performance has been well documented by experienced knife users like Ron Hood. The Basics as made from modified INFI which Busse has stated has 75% of the performance of INFI. This is a quantitative statement which allows comparasion of modified INFI to other steels based on the performace of INFI.

-Cliff

I join Spark in the hopes that the personal attacks and vitriol will stop. I have posted the same on Knifeforums, and desire NOT to engage in the "same old story" again. I cannot control what people say, as any moderator knows.

However, to the extent that opportunists on both "sides" (unfortunate that this is still perceived this way...when in truth both site share a LOT of members) try to use this as an opportunity to dredge up problems...let me say that this has just come to my attention, and I've admonished our membership to "cut it out".

For my part, I support BFC and their Administrators and policies, as well as I know that they support ours...and we both (our websites) serve our own functions. Even if they are somewhat different, and curry favor and allegiance with different people...it does no good to start flames.

To any degree that anyone here has been offended, I offer MY apologies. I'm doing my best to keep things to a "dull roar" over "there"...

Thank you.

Ty Stratford
KFC Admin

PS. The KFC moderator has now "closed" that thread so no more will be added...

[This message has been edited by Ty Stratford (edited 12 August 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back