Troubled Times call for Cold Steel

Things are unsettled. Hopefully none of us are ever forced to use a knife as a self defense weapon. It's a horrifying thought, but sometimes bad things happen and you need to be prepared. With that in mind, Cold Steel offers some exceptional defensive weapons, and in my opinion -- wherever you live -- you aught to carry one with you every single day (law permitting). Along with a firearm I ALWAYS carry a defensive blade. My top two recommendations:

* Plain or serrated edge Vaquero: This 5.5" weapon is perfect for both slashing and thrusting attacks, it has a wide range of grip options, it's light and easy to carry and it wont take up too much space in your pocket. If it's legal in your state buy and carry one now. I prefer the Lynn Thompson model -- his signature on the blade gives it a +3 against undead and crackheads -- but the regular model is perfect as well.

* Plain or serrated edge Black Talon II: This 4" weapon is self defense perfection. Until you hold one you simply cannot appreciate how brutal this weapon actually is. As the name suggests, it is a Talon, a steel claw, and it's employment is instinctive. It digs in and cuts with horrifying efficiency. More, it is designed to allow anyone to use it effectively and without training. It's a claw, you claw with it. If you want to buy your wife or your mother any defensive knife, buy her this one.

When compared to the Spyderco Civilian, the Cold Steel is superior in every way. It's less expensive, it has better steel, a much better blade design, a wave feature, and a stronger tip. The Cold Steel Black Talon II is surprisingly thin and light, the blade is designed to compliment the wave feature, making waving easy to accomplish. The only negative: the blade is exactly the length of the grip. This is awesome, but be careful when you close this knife or it will cut you. I own and carry the plain edge, but either is fine.

Check your local laws, then buy one or both, and CARRY THEM EVERYWHERE.

When things are dangerous, and unsettled; it always demands extreme measures. Especially, in regard to personal protection, and security. My Cold Steel 4 Max, and Scout are always a 'part' of the solution. Lynn Thompson markets his blades as hard-use implements, and martial weapons. The perfect augmentation for your primary weapon, and security philosophy.

6hegEC2h.jpg

s7VHeTDh.jpg

4Nl4ryxh.jpg

Ideally, I’d always have my Recon Tanto or Leatherneck with me, but knife laws don’t allow it. The Voyager XL, Spartan, or Recon 1 will have to do.

To our brothers and sisters in the US, stay safe and vigilant. I hope the rioting and looting stop soon.

Mini tac tanto is a good little poker if need be.

I just got one of these to play with. I love the grip design, but my initial impression is that the sheath covers up too much of the grip for my liking. It's new, so I will have to play with it a while to get more used to it.

I bought the small C-Clip thing and set it up for horizontal belt carry for now.

I just got one of these to play with. I love the grip design, but my initial impression is that the sheath covers up too much of the grip for my liking. It's new, so I will have to play with it a while to get more used to it.

I bought the small C-Clip thing and set it up for horizontal belt carry for now.
samJqrh.jpg

Yea. I agree.

View attachment 1360376

No, I'm not happy to see you...it's just an Espada in my shortso_O
BIG DI... ESPADA ENERGY

On another note. I do not advocate violence. This is just for discussion purposes.

I wanted to share more of my thoughts on blades for self-defense. The reality of it is probably far messier than any of us would be comfortable with. Take the worst kind of threat humanly possible: drugged up, intoxicated, over 200 lbs., hellbent on doing grave bodily harm to you or someone close to you. There’s also a good chance that violent encounters will involve multiple hostiles, but let’s stick with one guy for now.

In most cases, it will probably take more than one slash or thrust to incapacitate the threat. Blood loss or exsanguination usually isn’t a reliable way of stopping the bad guy since it takes up to minutes (depending on the extent of the damage) for the adult human to bleed out. In that timeframe, he can still hurt you.

That leaves psychological stoppage (he cut me up so bad so I’m gonna leave him alone now) or extensive muscle/nerve damage that makes the threat unable to harm or chase you at that point. Achieving either of those will take an awful lot of luck. To cut the enemy, you always run the risk of being cut in return. Whether that’s worth it, only you can say.

TL;DR - knife fighting sucks, fellers. It’s difficult to stop a violent human with just a knife. It’s better to stay out of shady places, deescalate, retreat.

BIG DI... ESPADA ENERGY

On another note. I do not advocate violence. This is just for discussion purposes.

I wanted to share more of my thoughts on blades for self-defense. The reality of it is probably far messier than any of us would be comfortable with. Take the worst kind of threat humanly possible: drugged up, intoxicated, over 200 lbs., hellbent on doing grave bodily harm to you or someone close to you. There’s also a good chance that violent encounters will involve multiple hostiles, but let’s stick with one guy for now.

In most cases, it will probably take more than one slash or thrust to incapacitate the threat. Blood loss or exsanguination usually isn’t a reliable way of stopping the bad guy since it takes up to minutes (depending on the extent of the damage) for the adult human to bleed out. In that timeframe, he can still hurt you.

That leaves psychological stoppage (he cut me up so bad so I’m gonna leave him alone now) or extensive muscle/nerve damage that makes the threat unable to harm or chase you at that point. Achieving either of those will take an awful lot of luck. To cut the enemy, you always run the risk of being cut in return. Whether that’s worth it, only you can say.

TL;DR - knife fighting sucks, fellers. It’s difficult to stop a violent human with just a knife. It’s better to stay out of shady places, deescalate, retreat.
I totally agree with you, but knife is here to be last line of the defense.
Pepper spray won't do much to someone who's high on stimulants.

Also, what to do when you're attacked by a woman?

One deep slash across the middle of an aggressors thigh with a serrated Black Talon II or Vaquero will usaully do the trick. The would be attacker now has the choice of using both hands to hold his flayed leg wound closed or continuing his assault against you and yours. If he chooses to continue his assault he will be doing so with difficulty walking as his life's blood flows from his injury!

One deep slash across the middle of an aggressors thigh with a serrated Black Talon II or Vaquero will usaully do the trick. The would be attacker now has the choice of using both hands to hold his flayed leg wound closed or continuing his assault against you and yours. If he chooses to continue his assault he will be doing so with difficulty walking as his life's blood flows from his injury!
That would be a good scenario but:
1. In heat of the moment you'll either freeze or switch to autopilot, and just slash any part of him you can reach or just start stabbing.
2. Thigh isn't that easy to reach, and trying to do so could be potentially dangerous for you, especially if attacker is armed, drugged up or both.

Avoiding fights overall would be most ideal solution. But we aren't always that lucky.

I totally agree with you, but knife is here to be last line of the defense.
Pepper spray won't do much to someone who's high on stimulants.

Also, what to do when you're attacked by a woman?
For me, the gender makes very little difference if there’s already a brandished weapon and an intent to do harm. If she commits the sins of a man, she should prepare for the punishment of a man.

But obviously, an unarmed aggressive Karen doesn’t warrant lethal force. Keyword is unarmed. The dynamics change drastically if she has a machete or an axe for example.

Back