Troubled Times call for Cold Steel

I like metal handled knives a lot although they can be slippery in certain environments. But I really like the Code 4, especially in CTSXHP, and they are cheap on the secondary market. Different blade styles too(I own 3).
View attachment 1361990 View attachment 1361991
While they definitely don’t provide the same traction as G10, the Code 4’s metal scales struck me as surprisingly solid. Even with sweaty or fatigued hands, I didn’t feel like losing control of the knife at any time. The finger cutouts and general ergonomics of the scales really make a difference.

That being said, I see the Code 4 as more for EDC than tactical/backup fighting knife. For SHTF scenarios, I would still want the biting texture of G10, so to speak.

The Recon 1 in my opinion is a staple in the knife world.

It has a classic tactical look but cuts great.

If I could only have one Cold Steel folder that would be the one.

A handle that locks in your hand.
Great belly.
DLC that is very resistant to scratches.
Tri-ad lock.
Grippy G10
No liners to rust.
One hand deployment.
No painful jimping.
Tight clip (they provide two clips; one for each side.
Premium steel.
A thumb stud that can be switched around for lefties.
Very sharp factory grind.
Great fit and finish.
All for under a hundred bucks.

Great belly.
Tri-ad lock.
Grippy G10
No liners to rust.
One hand deployment.
No painful jimping.
Premium steel.
Great fit and finish.
Truth. It’s followed very closely by its brothers the Lawman and the AK-47.

Truth. It’s followed very closely by its brothers the Lawman and the AK-47.

Yeah, they are nice too.

I have three Lawmans (had another but son lost it), but haven’t grabbed an AK-47 yet.

I prefer the older G10 handles on the Lawman. The new model seems too thin for its intended use.

Has the AK-47 also thinned up in the newer versions?

While they definitely don’t provide the same traction as G10, the Code 4’s metal scales struck me as surprisingly solid. Even with sweaty or fatigued hands, I didn’t feel like losing control of the knife at any time. The finger cutouts and general ergonomics of the scales really make a difference.

That being said, I see the Code 4 as more for EDC than tactical/backup fighting knife. For SHTF scenarios, I would still want the biting texture of G10, so to speak.

Agreed, the Code 4's are only when I need a "utility" type knife. I prefer longer blades like my XL Voyager or aluminum 6" TiLite for EDC and carry a small pocket knife too. 5"-9" fixed blades are my hands down favorite but not always practical for an EDC.

Yeah, they are nice too.

I have three Lawmans (had another but son lost it), but haven’t grabbed an AK-47 yet.

I prefer the older G10 handles on the Lawman. The new model seems too thin for its intended use.

I can’t really compare if the AK-47 thinned up since I only have experience with one unit. I’ll check my 47’s width real quick after lunch.

Going by feel, my 47 feels about as thick as my Recon 1.

Nice.

The AUS8a Lawman has a thick and rough G10. The newer ones in CTS XHP and S35vn have a much slimmer and smoother G10.

Yeah, they are nice too.

Apologies for the bad lighting. Garage is a bit of a mess right now so I had to snap this indoors. Recon 1 (S35VN model) on the left and 47 on the right (XHP model). Both have practically the same width: about 1.3 cm.

hTRPP2t.jpg

qZN9VvC.jpg

db9LQEF.jpg

IMO, the scales feel great in hand. Not too thick or thin.

Apologies for the bad lighting. Garage is a bit of a mess right now so I had to snap this indoors. Recon 1 (S35VN model) on the left and 47 on the right (XHP model). Both have practically the same width: about 1.3 cm.

hTRPP2t.jpg

qZN9VvC.jpg

db9LQEF.jpg

IMO, the scales feel great in hand. Not too thick or thin.

Thanks for the pics. I am glad the AK-47 has the same robustness as the Recon 1.

Oh, is the S35VN Lawman thinner than the Recon 1?
Much thinner. Ever since they moved from aus8 to cts xhp in 2015 they started using much thinner g10 scale. It screws with the tolerance a bit also. The older thicker scale never have flex, the new one often does, slightly. Any warping becomes more apparent in thinner g10

Great belly.
Tri-ad lock.
Grippy G10
No liners to rust.
One hand deployment.
No painful jimping.
Premium steel.
Great fit and finish.
Agree. It is a great all around knife.
My other two favorites in no order, are the American Lawman and the Ultimate Hunter.
Great values.

I've always been meh about cold steel cause I honestly thought it was more like novelty weapons and cheap crap. Now that I'm getting into knives I'm itching to try one out big time. Any suggestions on a folder that has around a 4 inch blade? I'm not really picky about scales, and the steel itself isn't a big issue to me as well.
Black Talon 2. Duh.

Back