True Temper FSS

I just picked up this True Trmper FSS. Anyone have any idea of the age? It doesn’t appear to say kelly on it anywhere on it, has eye ridges, 3.5 lbs

6195E64E-13EA-45F6-8C51-5B4AEAE28207.png 5556AE72-F5BB-464F-9FFD-BFDC2DFECE5A.png
Thanks!

Sorry, it looks like Barco took over the Kelly name and Ames now uses the true temper name.

Oh, that's right.
Barco took over the Kelly name and currently produces a cruiser with Kelly woodslasher printed on them and some abomination with Kelly perfect printed on it.

It's vague to me exactly when the Federal Supply Schedule was created but it appears to be in the early 60's. The cheeks don't look flat to me. I think it was probably made at the Kelly Works in Charlseton which closed on May 28, 1982. So that gives about a 20 year period for it's possible manufacture.

http://www.gcsolutions.com/html/gsabasics.shtml

Oh, that's right.
Barco took over the Kelly name and currently produces a cruiser with Kelly woodslasher printed on them and some abomination with Kelly perfect printed on it.
The Ames TT I have seen in the hardware stores are pretty scary looking.

I don't mind a rough looking axe if the steel is decent and the price is good, but my problem with what I see from the Barco Kp Dayton is that it's just so ugly. I've heard it's well finished with decent steel it's just ugly as sin.

It's vague to me exactly when the Federal Supply Schedule was created but it appears to be in the early 60's. The cheeks don't look flat to me. I think it was probably made at the Kelly Works in Charlseton which closed on May 28, 1982. So that gives about a 20 year period for it's possible manufacture.

1949 is when the FSS was established, according to the Code of Federal Regulations:

§ 105-53.145 Federal Supply Service.
(a)Creation and authority. The Federal Supply Service (FSS), headed by the Commissioner, FSS, was established on December 11, 1949, by the Administrator of General Services to supersede the Bureau of Federal Supply of the Department of the Treasury...

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/41/105-53.145

I found several pics online with the same stamp, one double bit was claimed to be from the 60s.

The Ames True Temper axes from the USA were made at the former Woodings-Verona factory in Falls City Nebraska. Ames acquired Woodings-Verona in 1997. Ames didn't acquire True Temper until 1999. So 1999 would be the earliest possible year for Ames True Temper axes.

The Ames True Temper website doesn't show axes anymore, so it looks like they were dropped. Razor-back (owned by Ames) still supplies axes, but they are labelled "Made in China", according to a retailer I contacted.

The Ames True Temper axes from the USA were made at the former Woodings-Verona factory in Falls City Nebraska. Ames acquired Woodings-Verona in 1997. Ames didn't acquire True Temper until 1999. So 1999 would be the earliest possible year for Ames True Temper axes.

The Ames True Temper website doesn't show axes anymore, so it looks like they were dropped. Razor-back (owned by Ames) still supplies axes, but they are labelled "Made in China", according to a retailer I contacted.
I got a little worried it was one of the modern junk TT heads, but this doesn’t appear to be the case.

Don't they still make the true American line of axes ?

Back