True Temper FSS

Ive been trying to find a 34" for my Collins double. It only weighs about 4lbs (actually less). I figured 32" would be too short for the weight but 36" would be too long. Am I on the right track?

Ive been trying to find a 34" for my Collins double. It only weighs about 4lbs (actually less). I figured 32" would be too short for the weight but 36" would be too long. Am I on the right track?
I think 36 would be fine, it’s probably the most common length you get off the shelf. Depending on how the shoulder is made you may be able to modify it so you can drive the head on an extra inch or so. This should get you close to 34” over all length.

A double is typically hung on a 36" haft. I wouldn't go any shorter than 32".

But deciding handle length depends on the axe's intended use. They were originally marketed as felling axes. The 36" haft gave them both more power and more reach. In old timey logging photos you will often see them with 40", 42" or even up to 48" lengths.

For splitting work I still like the 36" haft for its added power. For bucking the haft length will depend on your own stature and the size of material being bucked. Also depends on whether you're bucking from atop the log (fastest but not always safe) or from the ground. Atop the log with a short of haft you're bent over further causing poor balance and constricting the diaphragm making it harder to breath. This gets worse the larger the log you're standing on.

Trail work or clearing is a lot different than bucking in a logging competition. Frequently it will be unsafe to stand atop the log.

I'm 6' tall and prefer a 32" to 34" haft for bucking. I'm typically bucking a log 8"-16" in diameter. For logs greater than 16" I'll try to cut them with a saw. If you're going to buck a large (24" or greater) log from atop than you'd like a longer haft, probably a 36".
If 36" is an optimum length for power why is this length not used on any competition axes? The only place one might see it is with the Basque competitors when they are bucking large diameter logs and they use axes of various lengths on the same log. Like wise the loggers in the PNW using longer handles because of the reach required.

Who said 36" is optimum? If 29" is optimum why don't we see short handles in all the old timey logging photos? Ever seen them split wood in timbersports? Different types of work, different axes.

Back