True Temper FSS

Don't they still make the true American line of axes ?
Evidently not. Last year, I was told at a local hardware store that the "True American" line was being phased out. All the "True American" shovels are now gone from that store, but some "True American" axes are still there as unsold stock. As mentioned earlier, the Ames True Temper website no longer lists them.

Evidently not. Last year, I was told at a local hardware store that the "True American" line was being phased out. All the "True American" shovels are now gone from that store, but some "True American" axes are still there as unsold stock. As mentioned earlier, the Ames True Temper website no longer lists them.
That sucks.

Yeah, it would be the end of another iconic axe brand. No more True Temper axes being made in the USA, and apparently they are not being made anywhere.
Well then I guess there are only a few left now.
Council tools, Snow & Nealley, Barco, some Vaughan hatchets, and some estwing stuff.

Oh no. A FSS stamped True Temper will not be junk. No where close.
Good to hear. I bid on several double bits but was always out bid by a fair amount. (I didn’t want to go over $20 including shipping). I figured it would be the same story with this one but I was the only bidder. This made me start to think it may be low quality.

Last edited:
Good to hear. I bid on several double bits but was always out bid by a fair amount. (I didn’t want to go over $20 including shipping). I figured it would be the same story with this one but I was the only bidder. This made me start to think it may be low quality.
User quality has little bearing on price in today’s used axe market. And it seems in most cases the more you pay the less you get. I would have thought that the FSS stamp would have kicked the price of that one up a little though.

https://imgur.com/a/1kpxC

It arrived. And looks good. Not flat cheeks like I thought it might have. I am gonna leave it pretty much like it is, just a little bit on the wire wheel and a vinager bath. There is a small H stamped on the back side (first pic). I think I will make a 32-34 inch ash handle, unless I can find a hickory one at a hardware store that’s useable...no luck yet.

Last edited:
it looks pretty good. if you're going for a longer handle, keep in mind you're sacrificing a portion of your chopping power every time you move the balance back, more and more energy will transfer to your hands. in theory anyway

it looks pretty good. if you're going for a longer handle, keep in mind you're sacrificing a portion of your chopping power every time you move the balance back, more and more energy will transfer to your hands. in theory anyway[/QUOTE

I was glad to find zero evidence of any grinding on the head. It’s 3.5 lbs. what would you think the “standard” handle length should be. I was thinking 30”-36”.

I was glad to find zero evidence of any grinding on the head. It’s 3.5 lbs. what would you think the “standard” handle length should be. I was thinking 30”-36”.

A double is typically hung on a 36" haft. I wouldn't go any shorter than 32".

But deciding handle length depends on the axe's intended use. They were originally marketed as felling axes. The 36" haft gave them both more power and more reach. In old timey logging photos you will often see them with 40", 42" or even up to 48" lengths.

For splitting work I still like the 36" haft for its added power. For bucking the haft length will depend on your own stature and the size of material being bucked. Also depends on whether you're bucking from atop the log (fastest but not always safe) or from the ground. Atop the log with a short of haft you're bent over further causing poor balance and constricting the diaphragm making it harder to breath. This gets worse the larger the log you're standing on.

Trail work or clearing is a lot different than bucking in a logging competition. Frequently it will be unsafe to stand atop the log.

I'm 6' tall and prefer a 32" to 34" haft for bucking. I'm typically bucking a log 8"-16" in diameter. For logs greater than 16" I'll try to cut them with a saw. If you're going to buck a large (24" or greater) log from atop than you'd like a longer haft, probably a 36".

Back