Try to Sell me an alox vic

Over time the non Alox models always end up with the covers popping off on me and then I lose then before I can snap them back in.

Reasons

b. Tougher, they won't crack or break

20170501_133852_zpstgeon1ng.jpg

QUOTE]

That picture is the best argument for alox there is!!!!

IMG_2078.jpg A
That Ti handle you have there is a set of Ti scales on what was a Cellidor knife. One big difference in construction between Alox and Cellidor is the Alox does not have liners, one of the reasons it is thinner in spite of having thicker blades and springs. The toothpick and tweezers (and straight pin and pen on plus scales) fit between the scales and the liners. No liners, no place for them to fit. Of course, they could put liners under the Alox, thus making them thicker and heavier, or they could make Alox scales for Cellidor models, but that is another can of worms.
I can't detect any liners on this knife. There is a brass spacer between the saw and the main blade.

View attachment 709418 A
I can't detect any liners on this knife. There is a brass spacer between the saw and the main blade.

What does the tweezer rest against on the inside? Does it fit entirely into a pocket machined into the scale, or is the scale two piece, or does it rest against the combo tool? I suppose one could machine a pocket into an Alox scale to hold a tweezer and another for a toothpick, but it would be way beyond the skills of anyone I know.

Positives of alox for me include the thinner profile and tougher material.

Negatives of alox is the lack of toothpick, tweezers, and corkscrew.

I always pair a classic or rambler with an alox - pioneer/cadet with classic/rambler is more comfortable than a 3 layer 91mm for me.

IMG_2082.jpg
What does the tweezer rest against on the inside? Does it fit entirely into a pocket machined into the scale, or is the scale two piece, or does it rest against the combo tool? I suppose one could machine a pocket into an Alox scale to hold a tweezer and another for a toothpick, but it would be way beyond the skills of anyone I know.
It looks like the tweezers rest 1/2 on can opener and 1/2 on the back spring (on the non scale side). I am pretty sure the the maker has a programable milling machine.

I really like the tooth pick, tweezers and often use a scissors so I carry a Classic on my key ring and that gives me all the options that I need so I am open to carry a larger knife that meets my other needs of the day, which often includes an Alox Vic.

View attachment 709575
It looks like the tweezers rest 1/2 on can opener and 1/2 on the back spring (on the non scale side). I am pretty sure the the maker has a programable milling machine.
That isn't an arrangement that I personally would find acceptable, but I think I've derailed this thread enough.

All the variations have positives and negatives. The only person who can weigh their personal plusses and minuses and decide which is right for them is the one buying it. Is having a thicker, stronger blade a plus or a minus? Some people call it a plus. I'm not one of them, since I prefer thin blades. Everything is a trade off, so which is right is a personal choice.

I really like the tooth pick, tweezers and often use a scissors so I carry a Classic on my key ring and that gives me all the options that I need so I am open to carry a larger knife that meets my other needs of the day, which often includes an Alox Vic.

This is the best solution!

The little classic on a keyring, and a larger alox SAK in a pocket covers all the bases. My classic lets me go and carry a pioneer, Wenger SI, and still have tweezers and toothpick with scissors on hand.

Reactions: HWF
Even though the Alox Pioneer's blades are thicker, the knife blade is still ground to a thin cutting edge. They cut just as well as the large blades on the cellidor models.

I will mention that the Alox Cadet's blade is the same thickness as the cellidor Recruit's. Only on the Pioneer-sized SAKs are the blades thicker.

Jim

IMG_2087.jpg I wouldn't avoid the Alox models because of the lack of toothpick and tweezers. I don't like the SAK toothpick or tweezers. I like the Uncle Bill's Sliver Gripper and the T-Pik Stringless Dental Flosser. Bill's tweezers are much more precise, and they give you much more clamping force. I skinny up the tips a little bit. The T-Pik has a much finer tip, and it can push or pull stuck food.
So now my only reason for avoiding the Alox models is the lack of a corkscrew. I have a fingernail file on my SAK Money Clip.

Over time the non Alox models always end up with the covers popping off on me and then I lose then before I can snap them back in.
I just have to ask.... just how much time are you talking about? I have carried the same SAK for years without any cracking or scales popping off.

Hickory... I'm pretty much with you. I'm pretty satisfied with cellidor (plastic) handled SAKs. But I have purchased some alox models like the Pioneer, classic, and the 90's soldier. Wife took the classic because it was "cute". She hasn't seen the limited edition Pioneer.

That said, they aren't that expensive. Buy a couple and find out for yourself.

Last edited:
This is a great question. I use and enjoy both types. I carry a celidor Champion Plus in a belt sheath almost everyday. I love the celidor, but hate how it loosens and scratches. I have two alox models, a Pioneer and Pioneer X. My Pioneer is one of my favorite knives. I feel like everyone should try a Cadet or Pioneer. They are so thin, classy, and tough. However, I neve carry the X. The extra layer kind of kills the big benefit of the alox for me. So I would say try one for sure, but stay away from more than two layers. Not that it gives you anything extra, detracts from usefulness even. But for their still relatively low cost, you owe it to yourself to try one!

Alox is another world in my opinion. VERY solid and even though you have stainless blades, the colored scales get better looking the more wear they have. Scale patina if you will. ;) They're just great knives\tools that hold their own with other traditional style knives in the looks department. These two SAKs are becoming my most carried and used knives.
image by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr

Last edited:
Why not by them in pairs

For example Recurit & famer

Or Tinker & Cadet

That way you will get to knives in one purchase.

Then later you can buy the second pair later.

Why not by them in pairs

For example Recurit & famer

Or Tinker & Cadet

That way you will get to knives in one purchase.

Then later you can buy the second pair later.

I already own the tinker and recruit, and the nail tool on the cadet is a deal breaker.
I find that if I want to file and clean my nails I also probably want to trim them so I carry a small set of clippers which have their own nail tool, and its of the better hooked variety tool.
Maybe if it was literally just an alox recruit I'd want one , but it's not.

Back