TSPROF K03 users?

I'm thinking of buying a TSPROF K03, and selling my KME. K03 users on here? What do you think of it?

I don't hate the KME, but I never bonded with it. I mostly don't love the ergonomics of holding it in one hand while sharpening.

I am also looking forward to the following on the K03

- Longer arm will be more convenient for larger kitchen knives, and have things get less weird when you get to the curved tip
- Longer arm will also make it easier to get the arm out of the way when flipping large knives
- Bench mounted will be ergonomic for me
- Micro adjust makes it easy to set the angle, particularly if you're using stones that aren't identical in width

Think I'll like it?

Coming from a KME, you'll absolutely love it. It's like chalk and cheese.

Make sure you get the extended angle version.

You'll need 6" stones, your KME stones won't work, keep that in mind when you upgrade.

I wouldn't mount it to a bench, rather get the heavy metal base. It's stable as can be.

As a matter of interest, Have you considered the Hapstone R2 as an alternative? It's completely on par with the K03, but significantly cheaper and you'll be able to use a bigger variety of stones with it.

Thanks!

Oohh, why do you recommend the extended angle version? It's no longer even listed on their site. I don't know if it's still being made?

I haven't looked into the Hapstone R2 but i will.

Thanks!

Oohh, why do you recommend the extended angle version? It's no longer even listed on their site. I don't know if it's still being made?

I haven't looked into the Hapstone R2 but i will.
It may be a standard option now on the K03, just confirm.

The extended angle version will give you the option of higher angle sharpening, like cleaver knives etc.

Have a look at the Hapstone R2 Standard on Gritomatic. It's a great alternative to the K03.

I have the K03 and R2, along with many other systems but my R2 keeps being one of my favorites.

Oh wow, do you actually prefer the R2 over the K03? I found the microadust on the K03 rather appealing. How is microadjustment on the R2?

Say, for example, one stone is a little thinner than another, and you want to adust it to the same angle when you switch. How well does that work on the R2?

Oh wow, do you actually prefer the R2 over the K03? I found the microadust on the K03 rather appealing. How is microadjustment on the R2?

Say, for example, one stone is a little thinner than another, and you want to adust it to the same angle when you switch. How well does that work on the R2?
You can buy a fine tuning micro adjuster (fine tuning adapter) with the R2 from Gritomatic for about $20 or thereabouts). That gives you the same, or debatably even more micro adjustability than the K03.

BTW, I just checked the TSPROF site, the extended angle versions of the K03 are the more expensive ones, not the basic version. Without the extended angle, you can only do up to 23 degrees per side with a K03. No such limits on the R2 as it comes standard.

You can buy a fine tuning micro adjuster (fine tuning adapter) with the R2 from Gritomatic for about $20 or thereabouts). That gives you the same, or debatably even more micro adjustability than the K03.

BTW, I just checked the TSPROF site, the extended angle versions of the K03 are the more expensive ones, not the basic version. Without the extended angle, you can only do up to 23 degrees per side with a K03. No such limits on the R2.
Hmm, I'm confused. TSPROF used to have a "Standard" and and "Expert". And when I contacted TSPROF support they said "The expert sharpening system has a bigger angle." But now I only see the standard K03 on their site.

The R2 is starting to look better and better though.

I have the R1 and the K03. They're both great. I've found uses for both. I like the central clamp on the R1. I got the K03 partly because there were no fillet clamps available for the R1. I think that's changed on the R2, but I'm not sure the change has been backfit onto the R1. If it has, I need those clamps.

If I could keep only one of the two systems, it would be the K03, because:

- The mechanism for adjusting angle, using gears instead of tightening something to a post, is wonderful to use
- The built-in angle indicator is a great feature
- Both have heavy bases, but the K03 base is heavier and covers more ground

I don't think you can go wrong choosing either, though.

Hmm, I'm confused. TSPROF used to have a "Standard" and and "Expert". And when I contacted TSPROF support they said "The expert sharpening system has a bigger angle." But now I only see the standard K03 on their site.

The R2 is starting to look better and better though.

The R2 has a huge selection of accessories and clamps. The most versatile clamps are the angled clamps that come with the "R2 Standard". They can be effectively used as a "central clamp" if rotated inwards, or as very wide clamps when rotated outwards. If you want to in future, you can buy lots of other clamps for it too. It also has a scissors adapter for about $25. Another advantage, is the fact that the base of the R2 is the same as the Hapstone V8 and Hapstone M3, so with only 1 part, you could completely convert it into a Magnetic M3 or V8 if you want to.

It also comes standard with a nice heavy base. You don't have to buy that extra, like the K03.

It's a lot more versatile, can use a much bigger selection of stones, and it's cheaper.

Thanks.

Do you have the standard K03? Do you find the angle restriction limiting?
I have both K03 standard and extended version and there is no point in going for the standard if you have a choice. If you sharpen a lot of knives, you'll eventually need to go higher than 23dps on some knives.

As for the angle guide on the K03, I find that to be much more of a gimmick than anything of any real use. If you are going to buy one of these systems, you will likely want to use it to it's full extent and accuracy. The angle guide/gage on the K03 will give you a ball-park idea, but it will never be accurate enough for exact sharpening, so you'll need to use an angle cube regardless.

were no fillet clamps available for the R1. I think that's changed on the R2, but I'm not sure the change has been backfit onto the R1. If it has, I need those clamps.

U UncleBoots , have a look and maybe contact Gritomatic, they have some clamp adapters to use various clamps from other brands on different sharpening systems. You should be able to use R2 clamps on your K03 with those, or even perhaps R2 clamps on your R1.

Contact them and see if they can help out.

In this video of the Hapstone R2, you can the blade moving up and down significantly as he uses it. Is this user error becasue he's pressing too hard? Is the TSPROF sturdier?

In this video of the Hapstone R2, you can the blade moving up and down significantly as he uses it. Is this user error becasue he's pressing too hard? Is the TSPROF sturdier?

Yes, it's excessive pressure. The K03 will also flex if you sharpen with too much pressure.

In reality, it's a good thing because it protects your edge from damage if you push too hard. Imagine you're finishing up your precise edge with your last stone, and you push too hard...with the extreme accuracy of these systems, you could easily damage your delicate final edge if there is NO flex in the sharpening clamps. You'll deform the very delicate edge in the spot where you press too hard.

Because of a little flex in the clamps, the knife effectively pushes away from you, and your excessive pressure then gets transferred to the area just behind the edge, thus protecting your delicate edge.

Thanks everyone.

Hapstone is having a black friday sale starting today, so I might grab a classic. Do you recommend any of their stones in particular? I have a variety of steels, including s110v, so I'm leaning toward the "Venev Centaur Series Dual Side Diamonds", but I'm open to other suggestions. I've never used anything except diamond stones on my KME. Or is the trick to skip their stones and go aftermarket? I'm finding diamond stones on amazon for $40. (link)

Boride (5) (+$70.00)
Silicon Carbide (5) (+$68.00)
Aluminum Oxide (5) (+$71.00)
Venev Centaur Series Dual Side Diamonds (3) (+$120.00)
Naniwa Chosera recommended (4+1) (+$209.00)
Shapton Pro recommended (6) (+$217.00)
Diamond Matrix (6) (+$420.00)
Metallic CBN Poltava (6) (+$450.00)

Thanks.

Do you have the standard K03? Do you find the angle restriction limiting?
I don't know what K03 I have. I got something called the "master kit." I have not run into angle restrictions so far. These days I mostly hand-sharpen, except when I want to change a bevel angle or take out chips.

Take a look at the Venev diamond stones from Gritomatic. If you’re budget minded their dual sided stones are an excellent choice, otherwise go for the single sided ones. I’ve got their narrow Ursa’s on my R2 and love them.

I just ordered a Hapstone R2 with Venev diamond stones to take advantage of their black friday sale. Can't wait.

Gosh I hope TSProf doesn't also go on sale now too and I end up with both. FML. hahaha

I just ordered a Hapstone R2 with Venev diamond stones to take advantage of their black friday sale. Can't wait.

Gosh I hope TSProf doesn't also go on sale now too and I end up with both. FML. hahaha
Excellent choice, you won't be disappointed. Did you get the fine tuning adapter also?

Back