Ultimate Survival Knife - The Blackbird

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a second, I thought we were going to see a modern version of the original Ontario PSK - I was excited about that as I have awesome memories as a kid with that knife. I was really dissapointed to see (as previously suggested) a knife like so many others out there at the moment.

My money stays with Gossman and similar makers.

The sheaths, while expensive, are extremely well made and I was also dissapointed to see that there would be no HLW sheath with the offering. I wont be in line for any.

Still, I hope Paul has success with the project.

I thought THIS was the ultimate survival knife ?

hkh2020add2.jpg

By pitdog2010 at 2010-11-19

As silly as that looks... it might not be that bad. As long as it chops well, that is.

I didn't watch all the way through but I'm sure the custom leather sheath is not far behind. I'm guessing the total will be about $500-600 for both knife and leather sheath.

his Ka-Bar sheath is $139, and with the option to add all the pockets it's $110 more so $250 for the sheath + $190 for the knife with the nylon sheath gives us $440 if you get it "fully loaded"

that's assuming there's no price break for getting it without the nylon sheath and that you get all the goodies with it. otherwise it would be $330 (estimated).

he did mention something about working on a leather sheath for it... dunno, i'm not gonna sit thru that again.

Last edited:
His sheaths look top notch. Though, like mentioned above, the knife doesn't seem all that amazing. Took three years to make too? Pretty cool for him that he was able to achieve something like that, though the end result is a knife on the market that isn't that different than a bunch of other knives and costs mucho dinero.

As for the not coming with a Hedgehog sheath, it takes alot to produce leather on a manufacturer basis. I would hate to slap my name on a production leather sheath if I were a leather bender. No doubt he will come up with a sheath for his knife.

it doesn't have to come WITH it, but it doesn't even appear to be an option at this point. but perhaps that will change on black friday.

as for "making it on a production basis" there are only 100 of these knives going for sale on black friday, with 200 following that later. i've made some leather sheaths before.. nothing as nice as what he offers, but the hardest part was figuring out the design. he's experienced and he can probably make one of his sheaths in about two hours. probably less.

if half of the first 100 customers bought his basic sheath at $139 each, that'd be $6950 in sales, just from those 50 basic sheaths... not counting any that got the extra pouches. kinda seems like he'd want to have them listed to order on the site at that time instead of trying to make a retrun sale.

Last edited:
I tip my hat to the guy for avoiding any temptation to create some ridiculous (imho) monstrosity(imho) like the one pictured above, and those of similar ilk - multi-facet gadget inspired... (?) i ran out of trash talk already(?)

Of coarse any smart design would inevitably be a rehash of a been done before simple, straightforward, functionally proven form as Jim Bowie discovered when he re-invented the seax.

That's how simple minded i am. A knife should be a knife. If that isn't multifunctional enough for you then you probably aint doing it right. imho

Looks pretty darn good to me although for my taste there are some changes I'd make.

1] I like the simplicity of the design. Apart from the Kephart thing the shape isn't a million miles away from the Bunderswehrmesser, offerings from Carl Eickhorn, and rather similar to a WW2 Kampfmesser I have seen. Nice and simple and to the point. Very military in appearance but mercifully devoid of the usual over-egging the pudding that usually accompanies such knives.

2] Improvements on this design would be welcome. Even noticed the way the bottom of a Laconico plunge is canted back toward the hand? Very nice touch, puts more blade under you thumb. Boker do this on some of there jobs and the F1 we're probably all familiar with has it too. Not only does the ground vertical plunge miss a trick there but could also have been incorporated into a solution for something else. Generic “I hate all choils, and nirvana is a knife just ground all the way to the handle” merchants should skip this bit: Despite grinding up to the handle there is a dirty great lump estranging the hand from the blade. It might look all dandy in the ham-fisted autoerotic grip but the moment you move you grip from ninety degrees to it there's a cloddy mound in the way. Whilst the function to protect the fingers is great there's just no way it needs to be that thick.

cap00001.jpg

cap000011.jpg

See already how much useless thickness is between his index finger and the blade. Try gripping that for fine work and your hand is going to be moved even further back.
cap000013.jpg

That is completely unnecessary with a a material such as Micarta. It makes a certain amount of sense to sacrifice that on reenactment pieces, done simply without bolsters, because the handle material is nowhere near as strong as Miacarta and a little sliver of wood there would be quite vulnerable. Leaving it chunky is a solution.

eg1120192701.jpg

eg1120192734.jpg

But it is not a solution that is necessary here given the material strength of Micarta. I feel a trick was missed here and they didn't play to the enormous advantages of the material by slimming down that bulk.

I like knives with a certain amount of flat to the handle as it pays dividends amongst the grime in that the handle squirms less easily. To my mind anything that readily promotes a knife to rotate in my hand needs avoiding. That said, it is very plain slab and it would have been a lot nicer if the slabs were wider at the top than at the bottom. It makes cutting resistant stuff nicer.

cap000012.jpg

Uniformity of the blade thickness is something I don't enjoy. For my personal use I like a bit of distal taper because I find that more pleasing to interact with. I like the having a knife tip with fine poise and frankly just prefer the aesthetics too. When I see some blade just left along its length at stock thickness I think of cheaply done homemade grinder effort regardless of how flashy the handle is. In this case I won't knock it for that though 'cos I don't think it is marketed at me. Those at whom this knife seems pitched may well benefit for the tip strength that I would find superfluous.

cap000014.jpg

cap000015.jpg

An essential feature on this kind of knife in my opinion is the handle looks to be a sensible size for use with gloves on. Nothing much to add. This looks like someone who knows had a hand in that.

Price wise it seems bang on even at the introductory price, and I'd certainly expect to pay a lot less than that once the dust settled. To compare though $180 USD is $112.608 GBP . That's about £10 more the excellent Cold Steel Master Hunter goes for here and about par with the lovely little Nimravus Cub also in 154CM. Further, it's only a bit more expensive than Ontario's TAK 1 in D2 and good deal less than an Ontario RAT 5 also in D2. And despite it being VG10 rather than 154 CM a usual suspect in the shape of the Al Mar SERE Operator commands £150 more. Subjective I know, and I've only tried Fallknivens VG10 but I don't see a justified £150 price hike over 154 CM or ATS 34. If you wind in what Rowan manufacturing asks for their TOPS or whatever in a bit of old painted 1095 and this starts to look like a bargain, even at the initial over the top price.

Lots to like with this one. TF he didn't babble some sh1te about how he thinks he's a sheep dog. Irritating as the build up was at least I could stick with it.

Last edited:
What can I add that already hasn't been stated throughout this thread? I agree that it is overpriced (although CM154 isn't cheap), it is unremarkable aesthetically, and the video is waaay too long.

For the $$ he wants (not MSRP, he's charging $189:eek:) I'm going to pass.

a little over priced if yiu ask me. you can get a cold steel recon scout for like $100 and it will do very well.

Now that I see pics of it again and can really look that handle is just aweful, looks like a 5yr old made it.

Gloves? Hell it looks like it was made to use with mittens.

THough I wholeheartedly agree with your Choice of vehicle, I know that Paul will be watching the crap out of the production to make sure there aren't any lemons. Should be a neat and functional knife

THough I wholeheartedly agree with your Choice of vehicle, I know that Paul will be watching the crap out of the production to make sure there aren't any lemons. Should be a neat and functional knife

Yeah but its 200 dollars with shipping. You can get a ESEE 6 for $125 from KSF IMO a better knife at less the price. Also the warranty is outstanding. I know if I break it in the field they will take care of me... Ontario will laugh in your face... and in a few years when its discontinued they wont even know what model your talking about...

Echo*

Tried and true shape, nothing revolutionary. Mixed feelings on the steel and price. I will say this, I think it's one of the more practical production pieces I've seen in a while. Keep the ninja and MacGyver addons to a minimum imho.

I do agree with him on the bit about the logo. I can't count on two hands how many times I've passed up a stellar piece simply because of a fugly logo (hollow font, cartoon character, ninja muscles, etc.) In fact, that's why had to pass on Lone Wolf barrels....otherwise great barrels.

Attachments

• Stainless.jpg
    Stainless.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 35
Yeah it's true big logos on blades say something about the company or designer

Nothing worse then a chick with a smoking hot body and a ugly face

Watching over production and actually making changes to production/quality are two completely different things. Been there, done that. Wish them all the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back