Ultra-light Camping...With a Junglas

Well, managed to get out to the woods for the weekend. :)
My pack weighed in at 15.2 pounds, with a Junglas and 1.5 liters of water, so it counts as ultra-light camping.
Hah! :D

My brother was not going light, and my dad came out for a couple of hours (he carried some more water and food), but hike your own hike, right?

Anyways, on to the pictures.

Someone else had used our site in the meantime:

jLEehPG.jpg

After clearing it out and getting things underway, I used the Junglas to make a spear for the Woods Spear-throwing Contest. :thumbup:
It was a contest between my brother and father; the first to hit the stump would win the prize:

NMRbWj9.jpg

URPQNCK.jpg

BNWEFGx.jpg

dXzQIxG.jpg

aYZEaIt.jpg

My brother won the prize.
I'll skip ahead in time to show you what it was he won:

toxWYyP.jpg

A Conder Bushlore with Micarta handle scales! :)

Some camp and woods shots:

iUhy1mH.jpg

38o8ywm.jpg

WqMivzo.jpg

My dad heads off on his hike out.
He didn't want to sleep out there, but got out for a bit.
And carried some of the water and food, so thanks again dad! :D

niIJmf1.jpg

The support for my brother's hammock wasn't quite tight enough the first time:

XovGzzR.jpg

Although the saw was the most handy firewood gathering tool this time out, the Junglas was better for getting pesky vines out of the way:

PoErW72.jpg

GVgY1JA.jpg

Sitting and enjoying the fire for a bit:

lLgGqeV.jpg

3pIgRwz.jpg

The Junglas did do a better job of splitting wood for a steak stick of any knife used yet; the gradual increase in thickness combined with the wide blade worked really, really nicely:

pluXdpU.jpg

2OYMzjf.jpg

Strips bark okay too:

XspCuBP.jpg

Switched to the ZT 0392PURBLKWC for working the inside of it smooth:

jNALNPT.jpg

95Ds2OX.jpg

Junglas worked well for making a sausage skewer (steak was cooking at this point):

AF3Ex1r.jpg

Mmmmmm...food...

ketFzyC.jpg

Figured it was time for something you never see...an Emerson knife being used in the woods (Emerson Mini-Commander):

6HJYeLk.jpg

EpV4jvj.jpg

Steak was cooked (and eaten), and the first two sausages were as well. Decided to cook the final three using the steak stick (they cooked, but a skewer cooks them nicer):

CbhP3Le.jpg

My brother cooks his sausages by the light of the fire:

UgBoL8R.jpg

Moar fire:

ybWE5Pc.jpg

1YMdqWV.jpg

ZT by the light of the fire:

J26HOze.jpg

I tried to sleep in the Scout hammock my brother brought extra, but I slightly exceed the height limit, and match the weight limit.
It really did not work, so I continued the fine tradition of being awake all night. :D

Morning fire:

1PpZn5Y.jpg

The woods; view is between where the hammocks go their separate ways:

VXxrqaE.jpg

Some stuff:

T2I1MBn.jpg

My brother uses the Swisschamp to tighten the saw blade prior to grabbing more wood for the fire:

VToOqDa.jpg

Last edited:
[video=youtube;OHVjs4aobqs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHVjs4aobqs[/video]

I hope you packed your doodie out. :D

Boiling water for my brother's Mountain House breakfast (I'm drying the contest spear that I spent all night making into a walking stick):

oNBUlHr.jpg

My breakfast was chili. :)

pGrV9kP.jpg

Still working on the stick decoration with the Zero Tolerance:

78vGq0F.jpg

Dying down fire pic:

QGfaj3q.jpg

More shots of the woods masterpiece! :D

yVnKExE.jpg

ob9hUDB.jpg

u1IRYri.jpg

sUfml27.jpg

ZT looking like it was used:

ioNDK33.jpg

Lock is good:

fLyG9e7.jpg

Some of the knives we brought (but not all of them ;) ):

xxZPA7h.jpg

93dJLgM.jpg

My brother is getting some water to finish off the fire.
The creek is still low (drought earlier this year), but the recent flood and heavy rains have resurrected it a bit.

C8VRN2x.jpg

And, the real, secret reason for heading out there. :D

5kLuvxd.jpg

Last edited:
Awesome! Looks like a great time out, thanks for the pics :thumbup:

Looks pretty damn good to me! Please don't speak of doodie, I am in the midst of preparing for surgery tomorrow and anyone who has had surgery knows that there is no room for doodie during the procedure. It has not been a fun evening.

That's what I call ultra-light camping! :D Looks like you had a good weekend.

Last edited:
I hope you packed your doodie out. :D

The pain pills required for the outing made sure I was not going to have to. :D

Awesome! Looks like a great time out, thanks for the pics :thumbup:

Always is a good time out there. :)

Looks pretty damn good to me! Please don't speak of doodie, I am in the midst of preparing for surgery tomorrow and anyone who has had surgery knows that there is no room for doodie during the procedure. It has not been a fun evening.

That's what I call ultra-light camping! :D Looks like you had a good weekend.

Hope your surgery goes well. :thumbup:

It was a great weekend all around.

Looks like you had some fun.

But a real man would have done it with a feather duster instead of knives...:D

But a real man would have done it with a feather duster instead of knives...:D

Could be right. :D

What would have helped is a rake; so many leaves to clear away.
If I was out there for any longer, I probably would have fashioned a rake/broom type of tool.

Could be right. :D

What would have helped is a rake; so many leaves to clear away.
If I was out there for any longer, I probably would have fashioned a rake/broom type of tool.

I use to get that terrain in VA, WVA. But in the west it's just pine needles.

Looks like you need to change your date setting on your camera.

Looks like your Condor Golok has gotten some use. The Bushlore was a good "prize". Always room for a SAK and they come in handy.

I really liked the Golok when it first came out. I have a couple; one hasn't been used. (Liked it so well I got a spare.) I have gone with the Condor El Salvador for general wacking or one of the heavier choppers consistent with your Junglas. Looks like you really like that beast!

Looks like you need to change your date setting on your camera.

Looks like your Condor Golok has gotten some use. The Bushlore was a good "prize". Always room for a SAK and they come in handy.

I really liked the Golok when it first came out. I have a couple; one hasn't been used. I have gone with the Condor El Salvador for general wacking or one of the heavier choppers consistent with your Junglas. Looks like you really like that beast!

The date on my camera goes day/month/year.
I could change it, but I like it as is. :)

The Condor Golok is pretty great.
My brother got it from me some years back, and it has gotten so much use it's ridiculous. :D

The Junglas is, for me, just about the best of the "big knife" genre of knives.
The Condor Golok out-chops it, but doesn't work as a knife very well.

Looked like fun.

Hmmm, ultra-light camping with a Junglas - you looked like you had fun ergo you must have been doing something wrong - as that shouldnt be possible to achieve.

Hope you didnt leave permanent markings of your presence on that dead tree stump with your spear.

Ohh, and get a haircut!:D

I was about to say how is that "light weight" with all those blades lol but it seems like sacrifices were made.

I use to get that terrain in VA, WVA. But in the west it's just pine needles.

I was thinking the same. 276 & Wise County Native right here.

Actually forgot to mention in my last post that the last time I went camping I took my Emerson Commander and actually used it to dig a hole in the soft mossy soil to "doodie" in.

It worked quite well. I should go write a review about it and make sure and mention that part.

Back