Ultralight backpacking?

R0017812.jpg

I might have to check that shelter out. Is the bug netting attached or is it a seperate piece? 2-3 person size available?

That's a damn cute pup you have there.:D

I might have to check that shelter out. Is the bug netting attached or is it a seperate piece? 2-3 person size available?

That's a damn cute pup you have there.:D

You can get it as a plain tarp or with the bug net stitched in place, as well as a 2 person version :)

Thank you... he has his moments :rolleyes:

my gear is not ultralight but lightweight, base weight of 13 lbs, but only because i've gotten into photography and i wanted to bring a dslr on my trips. in order to do that (it's a 4 lbs camera!) i had to lighten the rest of my load.

043_007.jpg

i can go lighter but i will not sacrifice sleep comfort though - i still bring 3 inflatable pillows with my super comfy air pad :p

045_007.jpg

and i also bring 1-3 knives because i want to look back on my trips and actually see i did something else aside from just boil water in an alcohol stove.

048_035.jpg

when food, water (2-3 liters), dslr, and knives are added in, i'm around the 22-25 lbs mark for a 3-days/2-night trip:

045_042.jpg

the complete list of my base gear:

ku3700: 2.56 lbs (41 oz)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
first aid kit: 0.812 lbs (13 oz)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
platypus soft bottle: 0.0625 lbs x 3 = 0.188 lbs
evernew 900: 0.25 lbs (4 oz)
camelbak insulated bladder: 0.875 lbs (14 oz)
emberlit ul with cross bars and case: 0.437 lbs (7 oz)
katadyn water filter: 1 lb
kitchen utensils & toiletries: 0.50 lb (8 oz)
bahco laplander: 0.437 lbs (7 oz)
pd20 flashlight and spare batteries: 0.234 lbs (3.75 oz)
petzl headlamp w/ spare batteries: 0.375 lbs (6 oz)
integral designs 8'x10': 0.812 lbs (13 oz)
shelter cordage & pegs: 1 lb
brown ground tarp: 0.625 lb
osprey medium pack cover: 0.234 lbs (3.75 oz)
exped synmat ul 7: 1.50 lbs
exped pad liner: 0.687 lbs (11 oz)
exped air pillow: 0.218 lbs (3.5 oz) x 3 = 0.656 lbs

base pack weight: 13.182 lbs
with 2-days food and a liter of water: 13.182 + 2 + 2.2 = 17.382 lbs

I'm impressed your laplander got through those logs, they look like a pretty large diameter. I use a corona and try to avoid anything that large.

I'm impressed your laplander got through those logs, they look like a pretty large diameter. I use a corona and try to avoid anything that large.

Haha, I was curious about that too. I carry a Silky Gomboy and stuff that size gets a bit tedious :rolleyes:
When I go backpacking there is always water available via streams. Sometimes too many streams -.-'' I carry a Sawyer squeeze to filter but sometimes I use my homemade woodgas stove or start a small fire to boil instead.
Fire is just too fun ain't it?

and i also bring 1-3 knives because i want to look back on my trips and actually see i did something else aside from just boil water in an alcohol stove.

This! This is good. Backpacking is great fun by itself but once you add some fun toys it's enjoyment is raised exponentially!

I COULD just bring an alcohol stove and a little ti mug that boils JUST enough water for each meal in a bag but I much prefer having this monster woodgas stove and 2 huge (though still ti) pots.
Heck, last trip i brought a stick of butter and made meat pie!
I also bring flour, baking powder, powdered buttermilk, salt, sugar and other seasonings to make some delicious bannock.
On another trip I brought yeast and made actual bread :p
It's a big mashup of a foodie blade lover trying to go ultralight. One heck of an adventure.

Found a picture of the meat pie. I know it doesn't look too appetizing but trust me, it was delicious!

IMAG0062.jpg

the largest logs i cut with my stanley fatmax weeks ago and left the logs where they were well hidden...on day hikes i frequently cut and stash wood and come back there on overnighters with just the laplander and whatever belt knife i happen to take that trip...the saw is only 1.1 lbs, certainly equal or lighter than the junglas, lite machete, or the axe.

stanley_fatmax_003.jpg

stanley_fatmax_005.jpg

the 2nd layer of that fire the laplander can definitely handle it as is. i think the largest log i've cut with the laplander was 5" in diameter, it can do it but i just have to rotate either the log or the saw 4 times or so depending on the log's positioning.

I wouldnt really consider my self an "ultra-light" but "lightweight", total carry weight around 25-30 including food for three days. I am still trying to get the weight down though. I am thinking about changing up my system for this summer. Last summer my blade system included a USMC Kabar and Leatherman fuse; my buddy carried his folding saw so it was a good combo. I am working on getting a different set up for this summer. I ditched the heavy 1L nalgenes and went with some recycled 1L smart water bottles. I plan to carry a Fallkniven S1 (6.7oz) + Victorinox Camper + BAHCO Laplander. On my hip I will keep the S1 in a short Spec ops sheath with the Camper and Firesteel riding in the pocket. I might make a leather sheath for the Laplander or just ride it in my pack. For winter hiking I might switch out the S1 for a Sykco 711 (~14oz) or a Hoodlum. I'm not really sure yet. Both would be pretty light and capable systems IMO.

Curious to hear more about knife selections in this thread. I am a lightweight backpacker, not ultralight. I've been at it for over 30 years. When I started I thought nothing of carrying 60 lbs, but as I get older I keep trimming back, my knees never appreciated all that gear. Planning a 3 week hike this summer, and selecting my knife. I'm can go on about gear, but will stick to knives at the moment. A few of my considered knives that I currently own:

Gerber LST, 35 grams
Kershaw Hawk, 54 g
Benchmade 530, 51 g
Opinel #8, 48 g
Opinel #12 slim 42 g
SAK Classic, 21 g
Spyderco UK, 54 g (on order)

Curious to hear of other options in this weight range, as well as opinions.

Cheers,
Frederick

Last edited:
Curious to hear more about knife selections in this thread. I am a lightweight backpacker, not ultralight. I've been at it for over 30 years. When I started I thought nothing of carrying 60 lbs, but as I get older I keep trimming back, my knees never appreciated all that gear. Planning a 3 week hike this summer, and selecting my knife. I'm can go on about gear, but will stick to knives at the moment. A few of my considered knives that I currently own:

Gerber LST, 35 grams
Kershaw Hawk, 54 g
Benchmade 530, 51 g
Opinel #8, 48 g
Opinel #12 slim 42 g
SAK Classic, 21 g
Spyderco UK, 54 g (on order)

Curious to hear of other options in this weight range, as well as opinions.

Cheers,
Frederick

What kind of activities will you be using your knife for?
I prefer fixed blades on backpacking trips. I have a Kellam Puuko which is very light. Scale is out of batteries right now so no exact weight.
Also Moras are popular for ultralighters. 3-5 oz depending on what model.
But I do a lot of fire and woodcrafting.

If you're just opening plastic bags and cutting some sausage and Opinel would do.
Though in a "emergency situation" a fixed blade beats a folder any day.
I just can't trust a folding knife. Too many moving parts.

Curious to hear more about knife selections in this thread.*snip:
If I know I am building a fire a mora for dirty jobs and a paring knife for food prep. Or when I am not likely to build a fire (alcohol stove or day trip) I carry a SAK spartan. Of the knives you listed I would almost go for the opinel because it is better at spreading food on bread.

Other stuff in that weight class....

Folders:
boker exskelibur 2, 54g
case mini copperlock, 57g
case small stockman, 28g
CRK - Mnandi, 43g (not really a backpacking knife)
fällkniven TK4, 50g
fällkniven U2, 42g
kabar dozier small folder, 32g
kershaw chill, 57g
Douk douk small, 38g
spyderco dragonfly 2, 34g
spyderco ladybug, 18g
svord mini peasant, 43g

Fixed
Arno Bernard - Dassie 43 g
boker fred perrin neck bowie 41 g
condor elegan 34g
Esee kandiru 40g
esee izula 57g
G. Sakai Wicky Chinu 31g
kabar becker remora 30g
mora classic number 2, 67g (mentioned for the performance to weight ratio)
svord edc hiker 49g
Most plastic handled paring knives in your kitchen

I do not know the weights of the sheaths but if it's a problem a bit of cardboard and tape allows you to roll your own UL sheaths.

Gerber LST is probably plenty for anything you actually need a knife for(edit: for backpacking). Some people carry only a Classic, but it's really not very handy.
Unless I just want a fire, and something to split wood with, I carry a Spyderco Delica(and there's a Classic on my keys).

Last edited:
I would prefer a UL pack however budget is my largest enemy. Also I'm not hiking the AT any time soon thus I can't justify it. I'll just keep the less expensive gear that weighs a bit more. Plus I like my big knife and not having to weigh out all my food like its a chemistry experiment.

I carry as little as possible. But...

Given the weather here due to mountain terrain and elevation, it'd be hard to stay comfortable without a cold-weather sleeping bag. I can skip the tent as long as it doesn't rain though.

Ultra-light gear is really expensive, especially considering the gear I already have is free to use.

My knife weighs 0.8 oz, and I rarely use even that. There just aren't many things in the natural outdoors that need cutting. It would be a different story if I was a hunter, or if winter camping (forget that!).

I lived and worked, hiking and backpacking, outdoors for many years (ten years staff at Philmont, twelve years as a professional archaeologist) and I've never encountered any cutting task outdoors that an Opinel couldn't accomplish easily. Dead wood is usually abundant; fire restrictions preclude campfires much of the year; and the best fires (easiest for cooking, easiest to no-trace when finished) are built with thin sticks that are easily broken by hand. Who wants to sit around waiting for a 5" thick log to burn to white ash before breaking camp and hitting the trail???

Seriously dude? :rolleyes:

Yes. Seriously. I can tolerate having a few extra pounds in the interest of making my trip more enjoyable. I generally carry more food than I really need because I like to eat. I generally carry a book because I like to read. I have been in the army for over a decade. Anything less than 80 pounds of gear is good with me.

Yes. Seriously. I can tolerate having a few extra pounds in the interest of making my trip more enjoyable.
Ah, you just can't tolerate having a lot less pounds in the interest of making your trip more enjoyable.:D

Ah, you just can't tolerate having a lot less pounds in the interest of making your trip more enjoyable.:D

A 30 pound pack feels negligibly different than a 40 pound pack. I would rather have 10 extra pounds of items that make my trip enjoyable. I also am not willing spend $500 to spare 5 pounds off pack.

Buck 503 (1.9 oz) My perennial favorite. God's Knife. What the big guy would choose, if He were to get into backpacking.

Heh.

IIRC, the 503 is a tick smaller than the Schrade 5OT.

Shrade 5OT by Pinnah, on Flickr

I like this style of knife and carry my 5OT frequently. Nice and thin and easy carrying and it definitely cuts above it's weight.

But for camping and backpacking I would rather have something with a longer blade (easier for food prep) and lighter. The Opinel #9 comes in at 1.6 oz and (for me) is an infinitely more versatile knife than my 5OT.

opinel-9 by Pinnah, on Flickr

Great thread, btw.

Back