1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Week 29 of the BladeForums.com Year of Giveaways is live! Enter to win a Ron Flaherty Folder

Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Ron Flaherty folder , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!
    Be sure to read the rules before entering, and help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread!

Entries will close at 11:59PM Saturday, July 20 ; winners will be drawn on Sunday @ 5pm on our Youtube Channel: TheRealBladeForums. Bonus prizes will be given during the livestream!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

Uncommon Handle Material - Pics

Discussion in 'Traditional Folders and Fixed Blades' started by T.L.E. Sharp, Feb 22, 2017.

1. VCM3

VCM3 Dealer / Materials Provider Dealer / Materials Provider

Oct 26, 2005
    John Lloyd ,I don't recall the name of this material
    [​IMG]

2. VCM3

Oct 26, 2005
    John Lloyd
    Stabilized cactus
    [​IMG]

3. VCM3

Oct 26, 2005
    John Lloyd , not sure, " C-Tech " maybe ?

[​IMG]

4. VCM3

Oct 26, 2005
    John Lloyd
    I think called M-3 Composite ?
    [​IMG]

5. Horsewright

Horsewright KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Oct 4, 2011
    This is in inersting thread guys. Anybody need a box of manure either horse or cow come on over. Bring your own box, I got a shovel.

6. SVTFreak

SVTFreak Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 8, 2011
    Vince, so far your stabilized cactus gets second place to dredds stabilized horse crap. Lol

7. VCM3

Oct 26, 2005
    I don't think I'd want a knife with stabilized dung,just sayin' lol

8. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    Agreed. It would have to be unstabilized before I would even consider it.

9. black mamba

black mamba Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 21, 2009
    You don't see Box Elder Burl very often, especially not on a production folder.
    [​IMG]

Apocalypse Green Alox
    [​IMG]

Nighthawk Micapearl by Painted Pony
    [​IMG]

Watersnakes Acrylic
    [​IMG]

Blue Oyster Acrylic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Eric@DLT

[email protected]

Mar 30, 2015
    Reminds me of Cosby's Coogi sweaters.

Here is my contribution. I made a few blocks that have been turned into some great looking scales. All shredded up US currency cast in resin.

[​IMG]

11. GE Jr

GE Jr Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Well, it's warm enough here today for a Root Beer Float.

[​IMG]

12. 3-1-1

3-1-1 Gold Member Gold Member

Apr 2, 2012
    If I'm not mistaken, that could be the old firehose micarta that Shadetree has done some batches of

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Will Power

Will Power

Jan 18, 2007
    Offbeat?

How about out of this world? :eek: Kryptonite :D

GEC White Owl in Kryptonite Acrylic

[​IMG]

14. irona

irona

May 24, 2016
    Whoa, red cactus? That's really, really cool!

15. VCM3

Oct 26, 2005
    Yep I think you're right :thumbup:

16. Railsplitter

Railsplitter Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 31, 2010
    I'm cheating because I don't own one of these but I like the Pine Cone handles. If these were used on pocket knives I would have to have one.

[​IMG]

17. meako

meako Gold Member Gold Member

Sep 4, 2006
    From Horse manure to US currency in one fell swoop- :p thats one of the reasons i love this place.
    The legendary Fes (legendary because he is/was a great bloke AND a kiwi) dropped off the radar a while ago. I won this one in his giveaway-Compressed pumpkin seeds
    [​IMG]
    The only instructions were don't put it in the dishwasher-thankfully I don't own one-the amount of fish and deer he butchered would have made this handle impractical for him if it doesn't like water.
    Cheers mate and hope you are well.
    Now what have we here? A glennbad rehandle using a reeally old bone handle form a steel that was my grandads, Schrade stag bone -fat chunky handles just beautiful, a 79 workhorse with mammoth ivory-the ivory has coloured and aged incredibly well since I got this-at first it was a bit bland looking-and I haven't used it either. S&M tiny toothpick with mammoth tooth/ivory and Schrade Butter and molasses celluloid that is still "alive".
    [​IMG]
    Oh and that square of micarta also came to me in a giveaway -Its made of old canvas lay flat fire hose. There was a guy on here a couple of years ago who floated the idea of an SFO GEC 73 using this as handle material. I was very interested but the costs were prohibitive and the idea sadly sank without trace although someone took the time to lay some of this up and I think it looks great.

18. John L

John L

Oct 28, 2004
    It is

19. BenjaminRush

BenjaminRush Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 17, 2015
    Great thread!

20. serratededge

serratededge

Mar 30, 2008
    I agree. I love the outta the ordinary covers. Here is a Queen work horse congress that I received with ass ugly scales. Supposed to be delrin winterbottom.
    So I had an old piece of spanish cedar from my humidor that I slapped in via loctite gel glue. Its not durable by any means but here is how it turned out...

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017