Ungentlemanlike - Traditional Bad Boy Knives

I don't see anything ungentelmanlike about any of those knives. Seriously, you could carry any one of those knives in my neck of the woods and raise nary an eyebrow. Someone may ask about a knife similar to those pictured but you'd get no objection to your carrying it. I've carried this Honoré Durand with no problems.

1651943227184.png

......perhaps not so much 'bad boy knives', as pathetic public perception - well, at least that's what we often experience here in UK anyway..!

"Who are you going to kill with that..?" can sometimes be the retort when pulling out a straightforward pocket knife

I don't see anything ungentelmanlike about any of those knives. Seriously, you could carry any one of those knives in my neck of the woods and raise nary an eyebrow. Someone may ask about a knife similar to those pictured but you'd get no objection to your carrying it. I've carried this Honoré Durand with no problems.

View attachment 1811940

The Laguiole is a very strange knife. It is much bigger than most spring knives usually encountered, and yet it doesn't elicit the expected negative reactions.

kESUzU5.jpg

Fwvt9gW.jpg

k5Ba0Jl.jpg

VjUTKDL.jpg

LkTKyd2.jpg

batziQp.jpg

4dFLJDh.jpg

Y0crKkG.jpg

cz6JXJU.jpg

Last edited:
Sweet, I love these sorts of knives! Will post mine in short order. The Navaja is a "traditional bad boy knife" for sure. Also, a nail-Karambit.
We used to wear an onion tied around our belt, as was the fashion at the time...

View attachment 1811940
Maybe in your neck, but some old timers in NY may still see that K55 Mercator and consider it a hoods knife, because it was very popular with gangsters in the 1960s-70s Bronx, that Mercator. Some people in Algeria may fear the Douk-Douk as it was used to inflict extreme terror before. cutting off noses and stuff.
Of course, without that history and knowledge, without being in the regionally specific area... of course these are just regular knives. I carry 'em as low-key, use-anywhere simple carbon steel knives, and actually class them in with the Opinel, MAM, Higonokami, etc, by basis of being an everyman knife invented from between 1869-1929.
Nice Laguiole!

Sweet, I love these sorts of knives! Will post mine in short order. The Navaja is a "traditional bad boy knife" for sure. Also, a nail-Karambit.
We used to wear an onion tied around our belt, as was the fashion at the time...

Maybe in your neck, but some old timers in NY may still see that K55 Mercator and consider it a hoods knife, because it was very popular with gangsters in the 1960s-70s Bronx, that Mercator. Some people in Algeria may fear the Douk-Douk as it was used to inflict extreme terror before. cutting off noses and stuff.
Of course, without that history and knowledge, without being in the regionally specific area... of course these are just regular knives. I carry 'em as low-key, use-anywhere simple carbon steel knives, and actually class them in with the Opinel, MAM, Higonokami, etc, by basis of being an everyman knife invented from between 1869-1929.
Nice Laguiole!
Looking forward to seeing what you’ve got…

Back