Unimpressed with M390

OP said he was shipping on 12/21/2014 he would have had an answer by now. I just sent a knife back for a bit of vertical blade play. I mailed it on 1/2/2014, BM got it on 1/6 and mailed it back out after the repair on 1/8. I got the knife back Tuesday. There has been plenty of time for BM to address it if they had in fact received the knife. Which I doubt.

People were asking a couple days after he said it would be mailed, maybe not actually after being sent back. That and knowing how SHOT Show is a mad scramble for all manufacturers to get their best and brightest products to show off has an impact on time for just about company. As far as "judgement" is concerned, maybe "experience" would be a different/better word to describe. Not everyone uses their knvies the same way. Jason here has his own methods for testing an edge and they work for him others do have others that work for them. No one way is really "better" than another, just different is all. It is entirely possible that Benchmade changed up their heat treat or maybe they did have a bad batch, who knows, (we will surely never know, that much I can assure you). I am glad that the few M390 Benchmades I have do work well. I'm interested too in seeing how this pans out.

I was guilty of that Charlie. For some reason I was thinking it had been longer since he said it would be on it's way to BM.
Guess all I had to do was look at the post dates lol...

I trust Jason's judgement pretty soundly, but yes, people need to remember that Benchmade is:

A) A large company.
B) Busy at the moment.

Even if it were a simple sharpening, a couple weeks from the ship date to receiving it would be a good turnaround. As someone who worked in a repair capacity at one time - much of it being sharpening and edge analysis as it was for surgical equipment, so I'm familiar with the work involved - I can promise everybody that they would be very surprised at just how long it takes to service each piece. And those labor hours add up fast.

Patience will pay off in this case. Jason is pretty active here, I'm sure he will update us when he receives a response. Until then, all we can do is speculate, which isn't very productive.

Understood, it is hard to not speculate, but it is usually counter productive... I've been guilty of it myself.

All my (5) mini ritters and my ritter in M390 are working as expected. More than expected.
No rolls, no chipping, I just like to say that it's going to used more and more with growing satisfaction.

Cheers!

All my (5) mini ritters and my ritter in M390 are working as expected. More than expected.
No rolls, no chipping, I just like to say that it's going to used more and more with growing satisfaction.

Cheers!

That's the kind of news we like to hear

I have had nothing but good experiences with Benchmade. They have fixed everything that I have ever sent them with a problem. I have full confidence that this will be resolved awesomely!

Jason, hows things, I've been away forever in a day.
Interesting observations here, wondering what came of this?

Jason, hows things, I've been away forever in a day.
Interesting observations here, wondering what came of this?

I shipped it out a few weeks ago, shipping during the holidays scares me.

I am hoping to here something soon though.

The m390 ht is no more difficult than any other stainless.

Also, I believe bkc sends their blades out for ht, although that may have changed. Any competent pro (facility or manufacturer) should easily be able to ht the steel, although mistakes do happen. Mistakes have certainly happened from steel distributors, but it's probably not likely in this case. Blades have been known to get mixed up, especially when they are blanks of more than one steel type.

Who knows,but I know there are technicians at bkc that would be very interested if there was a legitimate problem. Try to get ahold of the guy in the BladeHQ Shot video. He has been very good to me in the past (sorry, can't remember his name).

Jason, did you used to go by a different sn? Knife nut? Jason does know what's up with sharpening. Hope you get it worked out bud.

I have a BM 761 in m390, and I haven't had any trouble with it holding an edge.
I've had it for a month now, and other than stroping it, it still has the "factory edge". It's gone through plenty of packing tape, cardboard, plastic banding, and it still has the razor edge I need to trim light "flash" off of soft plastic parts.
No complaints here..

I am really trying to keep my cool at this point, mainly because of the vulgar things I want to say would get me banned from BladeForums.

Dear Benchmade,

What level of amateur do you think you are dealing with? I wrote a detailed letter explaining my issue and requesting CATRA and Rockwell TESTING. I got nothing of the sort, what I got was a life sharp service with an edge... oh the edge... what were you thinking? Did you put the new guy in charge of my knife?

You have failed on every level and have completely insulted me as a customer and a professional.

You have now fooled me twice, shame on you.

I am really trying to keep my cool at this point, mainly because of the vulgar things I want to say would get me banned from BladeForums.

Dear Benchmade,

What level of amateur do you think you are dealing with? I wrote a detailed letter explaining my issue and requesting CATRA and Rockwell TESTING. I got nothing of the sort, what I got was a life sharp service with an edge... oh the edge... what were you thinking? Did you put the new guy in charge of my knife?

You have failed on every level and have completely insulted me as a customer and a professional.

That really sucks, I'm sorry to hear it ended up this way. Wish I could help, man.

That's disappointing to hear. No acknowledgement of the issue?

As an aside, I've had bad luck with their sharpening service. I don't currently own any Benchmades, but when I did, I'd just tape the blade the couple times I sent one in.

Dear Benchmade,

Jason,
I live about 30 minutes from Benchmade and work even closer.
If there is anything I can do to help please do let me know.
On some level I feel I owe you one for all the sharpening help you've provided myself and others and I would be more than happy to stop in there on your behalf.

Sometimes a face to face really can make a difference.

Last edited:
Calc, nothing, no note, no blade swap, no rockwell testing, Just a crappy sharpening and a service ticket.

This picture almost gives perspective to the multi angle bevel.

IMG_1603.jpg

And how about that burr?

IMG_1599.jpg

Jason
How much would it cost to get the blade tested by an independent source? Some of us might be willing to contribute to this effort. I d like to know what the problem is with that Benchmade m390 blade.
Regards

Wow! I hope a rep of BM dials into this thread and get serious concerning this problem. I wonder how many Benchmade knives are owned by just the contributors to this thread alone. How many in M390?

I hope this gets resolved, Jason. And just how tough would it be to resolve this problem anyway.
*KNIFE REPLACEMENT* - Benchmade

Calc, nothing, no note, no blade swap, no rockwell testing, Just a crappy sharpening and a service ticket.

How clearly did you make the issue known to them? While Rockwell testing is admittedly cheap, it's my understanding that CATRA is not (could be wrong about that). I could see them ignoring it if they just thought it was a general complaint about edge retention.

I had one of the large M390 grips. It was stellar and kept an amazing edge that was easy to strop.
Just from my use I could tell it was on par with my S110V manix and was far ahead of anything else I had in my shop at the time including M390 on a few other blades.
I am curious to see what is wrong with yours?

I am not impressed that they disregarded all the time you put into your questions.

How clearly did you make the issue known to them? While Rockwell testing is admittedly cheap, it's my understanding that CATRA is not (could be wrong about that). I could see them ignoring it if they just thought it was a general complaint about edge retention.

It was a typed letter, the message was very clear to the reason and the testing that customer service told me could be requested.

I will wait for BM from here on out, I do not want to speculate before they have had a chance to explain themselves.

Back