Up and coming knife makers?

I gotta chime in here. Lynn Griffith is truely one of the up and coming great makers. Quality and customer servive are second to none. Also, while I was at Lynns shop, he showed me the tanto he ordered from Neil Blackwood. Neil, that is one sweet knife.

Richard

Great names mentioned here (each of them deserving). I am going to toss in Matt Lamey
(have not handled any, but sure like what I have seen), Sava Damlovac and Boyd Ashworth are two others that have impressed me. Been a big fan of John Fitch's work for a couple of years now and it is good to see him mentioned.

Great suggestions folks!

Lynn - keep them away from your hands. Tell them you know an ugly Greek in Atlanta and for 50 bucks he will ...
eek.gif

------------------
"Life is too short to carry an ugly knife." Steve F.

Daniel Quevillon [Wesley Knives]out of Fort Simpson in the North West Territories [that's Canada, for the geographically challenged] is making some beautiful work that melds the modern with the traditional. I understand that he has a particular affinity for Bowies. So far I have not had the pleasure of using his knives, but they do look remarkable. He certainly bears watching.

[This message has been edited by HJK (edited 08-10-2000).]

Ok, now for the big questions.

Why are these makers up and coming? Other than you like the maker and his/her work.

Whose work are you comparing them to?

What do they do that you feel brings more value to their knives than a current, well known maker?

What position do they hold in their sector of the market they work in? Top 1/3rd, middle third, etc.

Of these new up and coming makers you have mentionend, which of these is better than the others and why?

Is it merely the fact that you see others talking about them that you feel that they are up and coming. Or have you compared their work fairly and honestly with others.

Guys, just because someone is the flavor of the month on the internet does not make them and up and coming maker.

I had to laugh when Larry mentioned Brian Tighe. Are you kidding me, the guy is already a world class maker. I was buying knives from Brian over 4 years ago. Reminds me of the Blade Show a few years back when the gave Hugh Bartrug the "best new maker" award. This was after he had been making knives for 20 years. The piece he won the award with sold for over $10,000. Not bad for a "new maker".

This same thing holds true for Rob Simonich (someone mentioned him as well). The first knife I bought from Rob (beautiful Sub-Hilt Fighter) was the Blade Show in 1987. Thats right 1987! Im sure it does Robs heart good to know that after 13 years, he has made the up and comers list!

Guys, do your homework. Don't spend your money just because someone on the internet says they love the knife. Consider the source and what their expertiese level is.

I know I wasted thousands of dollars buying what turned out to be the "wrong knives". Then I met Paul Basch. He gave me the same advice I am giving you. Do your homework.

You should think long and hard about those questions I asked before you spend your next hard earned dollar on custom knives.

A lot of up and comers have turned into down and goners!

------------------
Les Robertson www.robertsoncustomcutlery.com

"If you are out to describe the truth, leave elegance to the tailor"
Albert Einstein

[This message has been edited by Les Robertson (edited 08-10-2000).]

I have to agree with Geno Denning coming up, but I would like to add John Poythress to the list. At this time, their quality far exceeds their prices. Watch these two. Better yet, get an example of their work now while you can.

------------------
It's never too late to have a happy childhood!
Terrill Hoffman Knife Photography http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=243110

My predictions.

John Fitch, ABS Journeyman smith: Will continue to deliver BIG blades for decent bucks. Will make Mastersmith next year.

Tim Foster, ABS Journeyman smith : Will continue to excel at mosaic damascus patterns. You will see more automatics on his table. He will win the Blade Handmade award for Best Damascus Steel For the year 2000 at Blade Show West next month.

Bailey Bradshaw, ABS Journeyman smith : As the norm goes you don't see damascus from him, But when it comes to fit and finish, the work is as near perfect as a human can get. Because of this characteristic in his work he will win the B.R.Hughes award for best new Mastersmith if he goes for masters rating next year. Bailey is doing his own engraving now on his silver sheaths. Be saving your money for a nice art dagger and silver sheath next year at the Blade show.

Hmmm, just noticed what these 3 have in common. ABS J.S.'s

Oh one other thing that just came up in my crystal ball.......Jerry Fisk will come out of the closet next year and inform the public of his dark,knappy, secret.

Newton

Ron, so glad to see you posting here. Thanks for joining us. And congratulations on achieving Your Mastersmith rating this year. Your list of ABS JS smiths is interesting and appreciated. I was fortunate enough to get one of Ed Caffrey's Matersmith Test Blades. Forged blades have an appeal to me much greater than stock removal pieces. I know that properly heat-treated steel either forged or formed by stock removal will produce a fine blade. But I still like the spirit of mind that goes into sole authored forged knives. Again, thanks for joining us know nothings (well, me at least) here at BFC.

Paracelsus

Oh, I almost forgot. Is that thing about Fisk set in stone?

[This message has been edited by Paracelsus (edited 08-10-2000).]

Paracelsus,
Thanks for the congrats. As for anything being set in stone on Fisk....no, I just enjoy kidding him. But I hope he does share a dark secret with us.

Newton

Tim Foster's damascus award winner at the Blade Show. A picture says it all as to why you need to watch out for his damascus in the future. Notice the forge,the men forging, the s-guard bowies, the anvils, etc... quite a scene.

View

Newton

[This message has been edited by RonNewton (edited 08-12-2000).]

[This message has been edited by RonNewton (edited 08-12-2000).]

Chalk up another vote for GenO Denning. The man does pretty amazing work, especially for the prices he charges. We may be looking at the next George Herron here!

------------------
AKTI Member # A000005
NC Knife Knuts Member
Living life "on the edge"

Very good information, guys for those of us who are just getting into the custom knife scene.

Thank you!

Harry

A guy to watch is Mark Holson. His knives have great fit and finish also a good sense of design. He makes about 12 knives a year and is full time. His low production is due to few power tools. Most of the work is by hand. He has just started to make folders now and they are wonderful.

Gary

------------------
GARY LEVINE FINE KNIVES
www.LevineKnives.com

RON NEWTON
It's super to see that you've joined us in the forums. Welcome.
For those that don't know of Mr. Newtons great work you can look at his website newtonknives.com I consider his damascus knives to be among the very best and his reproductions of the antique bowies to be THE very best to be found.
Ron I'll look forward to seeing you in New York. I hope you're bringing a couple bowies.
And once again, welcome to the forums.

Gary Rodewald - ABS JS
I have no experience with his folders, but the fixed blades are excellent.

Ingmar, Nicholas,
Thanks for mentioning me!! I would just like to point out, that with the INCREDIBLE help of forum member Dogman (Bob Doggett), I have a NEW website AND domain name!!
Blackwoodknives.com
In addition to keeping up with current orders, I hope to release some new designs early this fall.
As always, I appreciate the support, advice and encouragement from all the forum members !!
Neil

------------------
Knives IN STOCK!!!!

blackwoodknives.com

Matt Lamey, fixed blades, love his fighters
Paul LeBatard for his folders,
Murray Carter also...forgot about him!

Get em' while you can folks, cause once they get the name going and the demand up, be prepared to wait and pay more!

Les, I thought that was very funny when Hugh got that award...unreal? what were they thinking?

G2

------------------
"The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions!"
Take the time to read your Bible Now, don't be left behind...

G2 LeatherWorks

[This message has been edited by Gary W. Graley (edited 08-12-2000).]

Watch Joshua Smith, the youngest ABS mastersmith ever at 19. Great damascus!

------------------
A blade a day keeps boredom away!
http://www.blackstocksinc.com

Ron Newton

You know how to put the pressure on a new maker (2 years).

[This message has been edited by Tim Foster (edited 08-12-2000).]

Back