Update on John

I read some online comments a couple years ago from someone claiming to be an ER doctor. He said that any time patients went into cardiac arrest, he would have them drink water with a tsp cayenne pepper mixed into it and that he never lost a single patient to a heart attack. He had more to say than that, basically trying to sell the idea that drinking cayenne pepper water is extremely good for the cardiovascular system. I'm still young, but thought I'd try out the concoction. The day before I had tried it, I tested my resting heart rate, and the day after I tried it, I tested again, and noted a surprising 6 bpm difference. I only wish I had read this info before Dad had died of his heart attack. I am sure that if I had, I would have insisted he carry a thermos of CP water around, though I am also sure he would have disregarded the idea. Feels like drinking sandpaper. But sometimes that what feels the worst is what does the body best. Take it with a grain of.... pepper! But if this weird post can help someone, then I don't mind looking a little cuckoo.
I couldn’t read this and not comment. First of all if someone is actually in cardiac arrest (not the same as an MI but frequently stated as such and can be caused by such), they are not able to drink anything as they would not be conscious. Having drugs available in a crash cart along with advanced airway management and defibrillator would be of primary concerns. Secondly, anyone who directly deals with heart patients claiming they have never lost one because of drinking pepper is totally full of it. I have been involved in many hundreds of Code Blue’s in my career in ICU/Cardio-thoracic, and despite best efforts, some people do not survive.

Cayenne pepper and other spicy foods can cause vascular relaxation and dilation which can have positive benefits for sure, however when people are actively having a medical crisis, medications are much faster and effective. Vascular dilation can also cause negative issues with hypotension.

Having examinations/tests and knowing/eliminating risk factors is paramount. Sometimes very small changes in lifestyle can have hugely positive health impacts.

***Best of thoughts on John’s surgery and recovery.

B beeinak thank you for your response. In fairness to the author, I read his comments over two years ago, and may be unintentionally misrepresenting them somewhat, though I distinctly remember the claim of using cayenne pepper (perhaps not orally, or during cardiac arrest?) with patients, and not losing any to heart attacks.

B beeinak thank you for your response. In fairness to the author, I read his comments over two years ago, and may be unintentionally misrepresenting them somewhat, though I distinctly remember the claim of using cayenne pepper (perhaps not orally, or during cardiac arrest?) with patients, and not losing any to heart attacks.
David:
Not to drag out the conversation, but it is hard for me not to have negative thoughts towards any claims like that. So many people promote products and supplements now, and most are either paid to do so, or have a monetary connection.

One thing to consider is that an ER physician only sees a patient while in the ER, so they do not have them under their care after leaving. Meaning to say that he would not have patient’s under his care like a Primary Care Provider or Cardiologist would after they leave the ER. Pepper would not be ordered while in the hospital either. Having the healthiest of lifestyles/diets does not change genetic predisposition towards certain conditions either.

One problem with recommendations regarding supplements or dietary items is that there is very little regulation concerning production or manufacturing, and dosing.

I am a huge believer and proponent for using non-traditional methods and I personally use supplements, acupuncture, and herbal liniments, but caution people to do research or speak with a provider or pharmacist before using them because of potential ill-effects or interactions. Some ‘benign’ products can cause serious issues for people taking them either alone or when combined with other supplements or medications.

I am done ranting, and wish you all good health.

Back