Attention UPDATED EXCHANGE RULES

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet the stores still don't make you do it. How about that!

There are other forums that allow clones and have no problem with them. The BF community holds itself to a higher standard than following the masses.

It's a culture of dishonesty and trying to pass on the cost of using the service to another person when PP explicitly states that it's against their policy. The Traditionals forum is a different breed and I imagine they don't mind the fees because of the tenacity with which they pursue their limited runs.

Also, there are such things as bad cultures.

Please don’t liken me to a person who is on rep forums... that was low blow.
The majority of my forum experience has been with watch forums and USN. And yes “net” payment is practiced on most forums I participate in.

I don’t find it dishonest at all. It’s pretty upfront, the fact that it’s in the listing.

Look, I don’t care- I posted on this thread for further clarification. Then I got jumped on. I’ll be changing my sales post as it doesn’t bother me. The only thing that is bothersome is how a different opinion has really set some of you guys off.

For what it’s with I’ve never sold a knife on IG... but thanks for generalizing.

I actually just figured out how to post pics on here, so I’ll be participating more. I did it by chance when I first joined- then I couldn’t figure it out as I was new to imgur and I’m not too techy.

No offense was intended, I apologize.

The majority of my forum experience has been with watch forums and USN. And yes “net” payment is practiced on most forums I participate in.

I don’t find it dishonest at all. It’s pretty upfront, the fact that it’s in the listing.

Look, I don’t care- I posted on this thread for further clarification. Then I got jumped on. I’ll be changing my sales post as it doesn’t bother me. The only thing that is bothersome is how a different opinion has really set some of you guys off.

Your going to find it to your benefit since it does bother some-thus more potential buyers. Never good to anger part of your market
Not trying to jump on you but here are some of the problems people had with it.
1. against PP policy-seller suppose to pay the fees
2. some use it to push buyers to F&F to avoid the fees
3. some feel the seller is just lazy -not my favorite, but some feel strongly
4 it is a bit of a marketing trick for those math weak $99 +3 % sounds better than $101.97

I have not been checking the rules before every single sales post I have done, therefore I missed the new rule on posts done today. I have since revised any sales thread that was started after the rule - no ill intentions trying to "beat" the new rule.

-Edited the rest of my post because I just sound like a whiney b!tch

Last edited:
I have not been checking the rules before every single sales post I have done, therefore I missed the new rule on posts done today. I have since revised any sales thread that was started after the rule - no ill intentions trying to "beat" the new rule.

/Break/
I don't post here much anymore. I've been slowly unloading the vast majority of my collection due to some personal stuff that came up, but I've been fairly out of the knife game for some time, despite having an insane collection (and it is pretty insane). Once I'm left with the small amount of knives I intend to keep, you probably won't see me on here much again. I just don't have the time. FWIW, and I realize it's truly worth nothing, I feel this new rule is silly, micro-managing, and liberal. Don't like a sales thread or the way information is presented? Don't buy the thing. Don't like the price however the total payment must be made? Don't buy the knife.

I realize my opinion will be an unpopular one, and again it completely does not matter, but if I want to pay or be paid in a certain way, then (again, my humble opinion) it shouldn't be up to someone else to dictate how that transaction should be done. Does anyone else feel similar?

(I also realize that with my same logic, if I don't like the rules, I too could go somewhere else instead of bladeforums...)

I agree to a degree.

I have spoken against adding this rule in the past. Not because I agree or like NET prices or +% threads, but because I likened it with F&F sellers whom i do not want to do business with and those two methods of listing a price are usually a round about way to encourage a F&F price. I preferred to see that big sign that says to hit the back button right from go. What I've set in bold is also key as we are responsible for what we do.

Now, I don't think that the new rule is silly, micro managing, nor does it dictate how transactions should go. Previously, you had folks requesting the buyer add PP fees and quite often the seller would pick a random percent that did not represent the actual fee. You also had people stating a NET price when they quite often did not know what NET means. For example, you would quite commonly see "NET shipped". That is just stupid and you are not netting your listed price if you're including shipping. Duh. I feel that the new rule creates a uniform standard so that the purchaser can either know what exactly they're paying or have a baseline to negotiate from, instead of first figuring out what the heck the sellers means and then going from there.

I wouldn't have voted for this new rule, but I am not dissatisfied at it and hope it makes the Exchange a better place to use.

Last edited:
I noticed that other sellers added the fees for PayPal, and a lot of knives I have bought always said net. So I followed suit. I’m on other forums and they do the same.
I don’t know why you refer this to as bullshit, but I certainly didn’t know people where offended by it. I guess when you’re selling things you try to recoup as much as possible. I always ship priority and that comes with my price.
It’s really not a big deal to add a few bucks to the listing but I had no clue that people complained about this.

I’m probably on those same forums too, and my opinion doesn’t change. I believe it’s bs because #1 - it artificially presents the price of an item and masks the true cost to the buyer, and #2 - it says that the seller is effectively washing his hands of the item once it’s dropped off for shipping. I don’t agree with that mindset. In the end the buyer and seller can agree to swap bananas if they want, but this sets a clear standard for advertising and support on this exchange. I like that.

I’m probably on those same forums too, and my opinion doesn’t change. I believe it’s bs because #1 - it artificially presents the price of an item and masks the true cost to the buyer, and #2 - it says that the seller is effectively washing his hands of the item once it’s dropped off for shipping. I don’t agree with that mindset. In the end the buyer and seller can agree to swap bananas if they want, but this sets a clear standard for advertising and support on this exchange. I like that.
This is exactly true, and I believe that the main reason many sellers solicit for F&F is to be able to avoid any responsibility if the package is lost or damaged. They fancy holding all of the Aces, and leaving the buyer to suffer any loss without a recourse.

I'm honestly not trying to pick a fight, but it sure didn't look like you got jumped on for your question, you quoted someone and seemed offended or argumentative about the fact that they referred to the 'net' practice as BS, that's when you got pushback.

Frankly, it reads to me like you unintentionally did something that a lot of folks here strongly dislike. Doesn't mean you're a scammer or bad person. However, I strongly recommend you take this thread and the comments as useful feedback and a way to be more successful in the Exchange rather than as a personal attack.

I intend to create a sticky in each of the for sale forums in the Exchange.
Just a heads up that the sticky does not appear in the Knifemaker sections of the Exchange. (I noticed because the first ad I opened this morning was "net", and I was going to send him a link)

Just a heads up that the sticky does not appear in the Knifemaker sections of the Exchange. (I noticed because the first ad I opened this morning was "net", and I was going to send him a link)
Got it, thanks :thumbsup:

The Exchange rules have been updated/modified to the following:

SECTION 2 - Rules/Procedures for Selling, Buying, Trading, & Offering Services:
The implementation of common sense is strongly encouraged beyond this point. This applies directly to the persons involved in the transactions.

Sellers/Selling -
  1. Be 100% sure that you want to sell the item, have it in your possession and clearly list the TOTAL selling price.
    • There is no "testing the waters" or "gauge buyer interest".
    • "Net to me" needs to be figured into your LISTED PRICE
    • Insurance is the responsibility of the SELLER not the Buyer. This is for your protection.
    • Paypal "friends & family" is STRONGLY DISCOURAGED. This is for your protection.

In plain English, there will be no more "net to me" sales or add 3.5%, 4%, or 30% PayPal fees :rolleyes:... sellers need to do their own math and list a TOTAL selling price shipped.

Insurance is the responsibility of the SELLER, NOT THE BUYER.

If buyers use PayPal and pay with "friends & family" and you do not receive what you paid for, do not come crying to the Mod staff on Bladeforums... you're on your own.
Glad to see it! These are common sense rules. Very good!

This is a very welcome change.

“Net to me” thingo was just ridiculous.

Thank you.

This great news! Thank you spark and mods!

Not trying to be an ass. Serious question. What about international shipping? For a seller in the USA it will be hard to list a total shipped price if you offer to ship internationally as it will cost more than in country. Just trying to gauge future problems.

Could sellers simply say something like "international buyers considered. Contact me for more information and actual shipping cost"

Are PayPal fees different when selling internationally?

Paypal fees don't depend on where you send the stuff you are selling. Paypal just takes their share, I think it's the 5% of the total price.
Also, don't get why people make a big fuss about the shipping costs. From europe to the US is just 10$ more, and that is priority shipment. :)

I only recently listed and sold an item and I priced it with what I wanted to get in the end + any fees and shipping. I can understand people interested in taking payment via other means as there are plenty of legitimate means to transfer money with varying fees. I would say anyone interested in accepting alternate payments could simply add a line of something to the effect of "Contact for alternate payment options". I don't know the risk level involved with any of these alternates but I know that PP offers a secure transaction for both parties and is widely used and accepted method and so is the default expectation.

Paypal fees don't depend on where you send the stuff you are selling. Paypal just takes their share, I think it's the 5% of the total price.
Also, don't get why people make a big fuss about the shipping costs. From europe to the US is just 10$ more, and that is priority shipment. :)

PayPal charges 2.9% + $0.30 of the total when a Buyer is located in the USA and 4.4% + $0.30 when a Buyer is located outside the USA.

PayPal will still charge that same above fee even if an International Buyer asks to have the item shipped to an address inside the USA.

I just did a price quote on the USPS website for a medium flat rate box to Lichtenstein. The cost was $77.80.

PayPal charges 2.9% + $0.30 of the total when a Buyer is located in the USA and 4.4% + $0.30 when a Buyer is located outside the USA.

PayPal will still charge that same above fee even if an International Buyer asks to have the item shipped to an address inside the USA.
Even if the buyer is in the States, if their (bank) account on record is elsewhere, the higher fee is charged.

PP also "makes money" on currency conversion. I don't begrudge PP making $$s they have provide me with an excellent service and buy/sell options. I don't want to imagine the aggravation and the costs without PP. :rolleyes:

Ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back