Updating The Military?

We will no doubt drilll a bazillion holes in it and make it a 4 way clip.

We will probably use a different lock on the "2" model, not sure which one. Between a Compression-Lock, Ball bearing / Cage, or the new "Stop-Lock".

If we use larger liners, they will be nested and drilled. We wouldn't want to maker it any heavier. The size / weight ratio is a main feature of the design.

We will probably run the "2" along side of the original for a while.

We're open to any suggestions.

sal
I'm breathing a big sigh of relief over the weight issue now that I know it is a concern at Spyderco. Looks like I am going to loose the liner lock though, have nothing but good to say about it on the Millie, oh well...I'd like to see the comp lock used and how about colors, the green D2 is looking good. Handle and blade shape-perfection, don't mess with it. Steel, the current line up is good. If I had to choose one I'd go for BG42.

I seem to remember there being some discussion of updating the Military. Does anyone know if Spyderco still intends to update this model?

I would really like to see an updated Military with the following:

-New lock system - Lock back or frame lock is fine
-Dual steel liners
-Slightly thinner blade to aid in cutting performance
-Use the original "blocky" traction grooves just below the Spyder hole

What do you guys think? Any other worthy upgrades to the Military?

Hope, i don´t repeat, what has been already said:

I don´t see, why a folder should get dual steel liners and a thinner blade. Strengthen the handle and weaken the blade.:confused:

The easiest way would be a larger Paramilitary. :)

It seems a lot of folks who claim to dislike liner locks in general will make an exception for the Military. Amazing how much of a difference it makes when the liner lock is actually done right ;)

I would leave the blade length, shape and grind just like they are. Sorry ashtxsniper, but there are a lot of places with a four inch legal limit for folding knives, and I live in one of them. I can't legally carry a Police model for that reason.

I would like to see that stop lock on something, as I just can't visualize how it works from the drawings and description in lawyerese. That something might as well be the Military II. But then, any lock will work for me, except for the framelock. Those still look to me like a liner lock that didn't get finished. I have a few and carry none of them, I just can't stand them.

Clip positioning...four way is okay, but mine will most likely wind up RHTD regardless of how many options are available. What can I say, it works for me.
That creates a problem in most states. I just wished the blade to handle length ratio was a little ore even. The could fit a longer blade or make he handle considerably shorter and the whole package would look a little better.

Alright. A four-way clip is probably going to be incorporated into the new design, but to have such a thing, you need metal behind the G-10 slabs to help anchor the clip, right? So to have both tip-up and tip-down capability, the new design will have to incorporate full liners, nested, of course. It probably isn't cost-prohibitive, but if the design requires full liners, why not use titanium? It would keep the weight of the knife around the 4 oz. mark, and would work well in conjunction with a compression lock. Tooling costs would rise, along with material costs, so I don't know how much it would add to the final cost of the knife... which is a careful consideration in itself.

Sad to see the liner lock go - arguably the best-designed liner lock in the business. My BG-42 has been daily carry for almost a solid year now... thanks for that one, Sal. ;)

I think the Stop-Lock would be best. I personally wouldn't mind the Compression lock, however it seems that many other people do.
As long as the Stop-Lock is truly ambidextrous that would be best. And as for a reason not to use the BB lock, it would probably add a lot of weight. That being something we want to avoid it looks like the Stop-Lock is top choice.
And I just want to see the Stop-Lock in action.

As for going to full dual nested liners. Would it be possible to instead put some metal just under the spots on the handle that need it? You would have your regular partial nested liners, and then two more at the end of the handle to anchor the clip into. Eliminating the need to extend the liner across the whole handle.
Maybe you could have them thread onto the lanyard tube to keep them in place.

That creates a problem in most states. I just wished the blade to handle length ratio was a little ore even. The could fit a longer blade or make he handle considerably shorter and the whole package would look a little better.

I really don't want the handle shortened, as it fits my hand the way it is. I don't want the blade lengthened because I want to carry it legally. And I personally don't see anything wrong with the proportions, even on the Paramilitary, much less the Military. I'd much rather have a handle I can hold with a short blade than a short handle forcing me to hold onto the blade to get a grip.

I really don't want the handle shortened, as it fits my hand the way it is. <snip> And I personally don't see anything wrong with the proportions, even on the Paramilitary, much less the Military. I'd much rather have a handle I can hold with a short blade than a short handle forcing me to hold onto the blade to get a grip.

I agree with that 100%. The large handle is one of the things that makes the Military so comfortable to me, and it doesn't look out of proportion to me. Even if it did look odd to me, I would take comfort over looks any day.

Mike

We will probably use a different lock on the "2" model, not sure which one. Between a Compression-Lock, Ball bearing / Cage, or the new "Stop-Lock".

If we use larger liners, they will be nested and drilled. We wouldn't want to maker it any heavier. The size / weight ratio is a main feature of the design.

sal

I think the design is a very strong one, my personal favorite out of the knives from your company that I've gotten the pleasure to use. What you seem to have in mind sounds like a logical step forward. I would vote for the compression lock myself unless the caged BB lock could be made around the same weight. The lock on the Pikal is very well done, but like you say the size / weight ratio is key with this knife. It's one of the reasons I personally carry it as much as I do. I don't know enough about the stop lock to say what I think about it, I'll have to see what I can find to read. Other than the lock, the only thing I would change is removing the large cut-out for the liner lock, but I would expect that to go with the lock change.

The handle is great but you could easily fit another 1/2" of blade into it without a lot of engineering.

Balance doesn't matter as much as blade length to me. I don't plan on throwing it. My police has a longer blade and a shorter handle. I just want to see the blade match the handle. If it is to long for everyone there is still the paramilitary. That is just my opinion though. When I handled the military for the first time I was disappointed the blade wasn't longer. I still edc one though and I love the knife.

Well, maybe Sal will make a special "Texas Model" with a longer blade for those places where they are legal. :D

I guess I'm hopelessly old-fashioned. I expect the blade of a folding knife to be shorter than the handle. If I need a longer blade, I get out a fixed blade.

sal

Here is my suggestion Sal. Do this and you will rule the roost Sal, no lie! Not to toot my own horn because any number of guys could do this but ask Dwight to let you see this knife if you don't believe me. If it doesn't knock your socks right off nothing will! I hate to mail this one home and watch it leave. :( If they were like this I'd already have a couple in every blade steel you ever did. The two pics in my last post say it all IMO.

http://www.bladeforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495291

STR

Suggestions? How about a plug screw kit to fill all of those wonderful screw holes except for the three needed, plus three more:D in the event the clip is not used? I'll bet they would fit most models. :) regards, ss.

Well, maybe Sal will make a special "Texas Model" with a longer blade for those places where they are legal. :D

I guess I'm hopelessly old-fashioned. I expect the blade of a folding knife to be shorter than the handle. If I need a longer blade, I get out a fixed blade.
I think Texas is limited to 4" blades not sure though. I carry a police model regardless with no poblems. I know in San Antonio they passed a city ordinace that oul]tlaws and lock blade knives for carry. I have no problems when I travel there and all my knives lock. Stupid laws in this country.

Aside from my constant requests for Vascowear I have to admit I like the current Millie pretty much the way it is. If you can make the lock more bulletproof, that's fine, but I'm pretty happy as is. I've NEVER had the liner lock become a problem of any kind. The size is fine for me, the grip great. I'm glad you will run the 1st model alongside the new one for awhile for guys like me. The bottom line is that I have confidence in you Sal. Do what you think is best. Joe

Whatever the lock may be please make it as play free as on the current Military.

I'd be sad to see a Military with a "Paramilitary compression wobble lock":grumpy:

Back