Updating The Military?

As I said previously, I'd love to see full backspacer in next Military generation. And MUCH preferably metal backspacer.
However if it's not an option, I'd suggest to get rid of that partial backspacer (present on current gen.) completly (and use more spacers instead if rigidity is a concern).

I also support the idea of longer blade :thumbup:

I vote for a frame lock and 4 way clip placement. When will the next generation Military be ready?

I think that the second gen Military should be either a frame lock or a caged ball lock. I do not think that the blade should be longer, and I do not think the handle should be changed. If people need a larger blade they should get a fixed blade. If you make the blade longer tons of people will not be able to legally carry it. No need for 4 way clip placement. I hate swiss cheesed handles just to make everyone happy. Left and right carry is enough. Two sets of holes is more than enough.

In my opinion it will be hard to improve on this design. It's such a great knife already. A little too much could ruin a great knife.

my current edc is the para mil which i love,,hats off to sal for making such fine products as spyderco,,being left handed i would like to see a 4 way clip placement also,,

As far as I understand, the Military is a very well focused design, it should be light, simple, reliable and easy to clean, and all the efforts lead to that goal

Soooo . . .

I think that full liners, back spacer, ball or axis lock don't fit in the concept of the Military.

I will change the liner lock by a frame or compression lock and change the blade with a stronger tip (like the new enduras).

I'll be more than happy with that!
:thumbup:

BETO
====================
Sorry for my english :eek:

As far as I understand, the Military is a very well focused design, it should be light, simple, reliable and easy to clean, and all the efforts lead to that goal

Soooo . . .

I think that full liners, back spacer, ball or axis lock don't fit in the concept of the Military.

I will change the liner lock by a frame or compression lock and change the blade with a stronger tip (like the new enduras).

BETO
====================

Sounds PERFECT to me.

I think if you thin out the G10 Slabs and have full titanium liners with an overall thickness the same as it is now but stronger but still light due to the titanium. I don't know about the locking system but I think should keep the specs the same as the current model, size, weight and thickness.

Just my thoughts,

RickJ

What about a Millie combo- half g-10 and half titanium? Strider and now Emerson know this a great handle design.
Lycosa

What about a Millie combo- half G-10 and half Titanium.That is a great handle design.
Lycosa

Soooo . . .

BETO
====================

I think you nailed it

I would not opt for ZDP 189 for the corrosion factor.
I would say 2 runs .
1 run more conservative and
the second run with the new stop lock allthough this one is more like a back lock and i think this will mean no open scales and a tad more weight .
I'm very curious about this new lock probably even more reliable as a backlock and would surely want spyderco to go ahead on it....on this model or another new one

So many good suggestions...

I'd like to add this: Make the blade just _slightly_ shorter than it is now, for example 3.97".

Would not, I think, make a difference in usability and at the same time would allow legal use of the knife in markets where 4" blades are currently prohibited.

I can think of one market with a total population of about 10,000,000, there are probably others.

(Darryl Ralph did something similar when he designed the EDC for Camillus, with its blade length of 2 and 31/32".)

Personally, I think its pretty great the way it is (except I prefer tip up carry).

What I would like to see is a Para-Military with a liner lock....

(sorry, just thought I'd squeeze this in here).

Personally, I think its pretty great the way it is (except I prefer tip up carry).

What I would like to see is a Para-Military with a liner lock....

(sorry, just thought I'd squeeze this in here).

DITTO:thumbup::thumbup:

It seems a lot of folks who claim to dislike liner locks in general will make an exception for the Military. Amazing how much of a difference it makes when the liner lock is actually done right ;)

You are so right about that! I LOVE the way the current lock works. It really is my favorite lock to date (no - I don't "date" locks, you know what I mean;) )

Personally, I don't see a reason for a Mili - 2. The original nailed it. Much like the Lil'Temp. I enjoy seeing variations in materials (the newest in CPM being a great example) with the existing designs.

Ken

Back