UPS IS KILLING ME !!!!!

I have learned that you can get the run around from UPS, and USPS. I guess I have had the worst results from USPS. Dannyc, USPS lost your shipment in April and we won't be able to file a claim until the end of June. When we will actually be able to collect who knows? Yes, insuring a package is a good idea, but it still has some drawbacks. Around Christmas time we learned the hard way. The USPS may not be immune to theft. We sent four knives to California via Priority Mail and the envelope was delivered with no knives in it. The envelope was torn open along the sealing end, and the four knives were removed, We did not have the package insured, so I had to send the customer some knives that I paid for out of my pocket. On this particular package the trouble did not end here, we overnighted four more knives so they would be there by Christmas. The package did not arrive until 5 days after Christmas. I realize that Christmas is busy time but they should not accept next day delivery unless they can actually get it there. My suggestion is to never expect next day delivery within a week of Christmas. (They did reimburse charges for delayed shipment which was fine but did not help my customer.) Anyway, this is some of our experiences with U.S. Post Office but we still use them and they are efficient most of the time. You just take a chance anytime you ship anything so if it is an expensive item, always insure. Good luck shipping y'all.
Chris, Top of Texas Knives
www.toptexknives.com

------------------

Well, UPS has struck again. I placed an order with a distributor on the west coast on 6/1/99 and it was shipped out on 6/2/99. It still has not arrived 9 days later. I was told by UPS that it was somewher in NJ and to go ahead and tell the distributor to start a trace ( which won't help me get it). Now the distributor has to send out a new package and try to get reimbursed for the first one.
BTW, I have had 3 transactions in the past week with forum members, all were shipped USPS Priority and all arrived in 2-3 days.

UPS has ruined several HIGH DOLLAR items of mine:
1. Gateway 2000 computer.
2. Color TV
3. VCR

and have lost 4 other shipments.

I ship either US mail... or FED EX. Fed Ex 2 day economy rate isnt much more than UPS - and it is a great deal better service!

------------------
I mean, if I went around saying I was an Emperor because some
moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, people would put me away!

Dan,

What method do you want to use for the Natives? After reading this thread I'm even more uncomfortable about UPS. I would rather go with EMS or, if you still think that's too much risk, try FedEx. I'll talk to Spark after the weekend. I would hate to lose access to the Bladeforums store because we can't find a reliable overseas shipping method (especially if the Matriarchs turn up there
biggrin.gif
).

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

My god !!!! I was a little nervous about using them and not too happy either. Now that I know everything you guys went through there is NO WAY IN H*** I am using UPS again
smile.gif
I think this was the most I opening posting I ever made. Thanks for all the responses, and advice for other successful shipping methods. Man, I had no idea they were that bad, there were only what, two good posts about them
smile.gif

Dark Nemesis

------------------
All of God's Critters may have knives, but most of them are stamped with the name BENCHMADE

Dark,
I think if you have not already done so, you should check your front door for a package UPS left there, today. It was shipped yesterday and took less than 24 hours to get to that same front door. I checked thru their tracking software.
Charlie

UPS is a huge recruiter in my parts, sucking up college kids with decent pay in four hour shifts...No background checks are done on the newbies, tarining is iffy, as is supervision...According to many, the UPS supervisors want as many packages into the trucks as possible...the package handlers are not gentle...As for the USPS, a few years back, I bought a knife, and an empty priority mail box that had a small slit cut in the top to remove the knife...The USPS Postal Inspectors are VERY understaffed, and give no time to small package theft...

--dan

First, don't complain about a pakage (like a plate) being damaged, if it was improperly packed and NOT insured! If it's delicate, you need a box within a box. Second, it seems HARD to DAMAGE a knife being shipped, so damage should not be an issue. PRICE,RELIABILITY and CONVENIENCE are issues. GO POSTAL SERVICE..THEY DELIVER EXCELLENCE FOR LESS! UPS is too far away and will not leave it even if you OK it.BYE

UPS has a special next day letter envelope (corporate rate is about $6.00) that isn't limited to weight so you can jam it full of documents or knives. This is the ONLY thing we use UPS for at where I work. Otherwise DHL gets 90% of our business for overnite stuff. I use personally US Mail Priority insured with delivery confirmation ($5.25 for VCR tape size box) and it gets there pretty fast - generally 3 days. I dislike UPS - the on line tracking thing as a general rule is not updated very often (once a day) and a lot of times I receive item before I get any tracking data.

Well, I see that I'm far from the only one who has had several problems with UPS deliveries…

My most recent encounter with the good folks at UPS involved some knives and accessories I had ordered from an Internet dealer. In my on-line order, I told the dealer that I was going to be on vacation during the week of Memorial Day and I requested that no items be shipped during that time. Due to some miscommunication (on both our parts) and backordered items, the dealer shipped a portion of my order during the week that I was out of town. I arrived on a Friday evening to discover two yellow notices of attempted delivery; the latest note stated that this was their final attempt and that the package would be returned to the shipper in five business days if no arrangements were made to pick it up. The notices clearly identified the name of the shipper of these items. I promptly called the toll-free number cited on the notice to make arrangements to pick up the package at my local distribution center. This was where the fun started…

The UPS representative I spoke with on the phone told me that they had no record of any attempts to deliver such a package to my address. When I explained that I had already received two notices of attempted delivery he continued to insist that no such package existed. I thought that this was somewhat odd since THEIR driver had obviously taken the time and trouble to leave a notice on my door on two separate occasions. I politely requested that he re-examine his system and confirm if there was any record of an attempted delivery within the past week. The UPS representative reluctantly took my name and address and placed me on hold for several minutes. When he returned, he told me that he had located the package and that it had already been delivered. I reminded him that I had not received any delivery. At this point, he testily explained that UPS had made a delivery from a different shipper to a different individual in a different apartment number that week and that he was certain that this was the package I was discussing. He seemed to find it inconceivable that there could have been two different UPS shipments to a single apartment complex! When he cited the name of the shipper on this other package, I calmly explained that it was not the shipper identified on the notices of attempted delivery (as per UPS's own driver) or the dealer from which I had ordered the merchandise. At this point he rather rudely told me that there was nothing else he could do and that my only recourse was to contact the dealer and get a tracking number for the shipment.

Since this was a weekend, I couldn't call the dealer to obtain a tracking number for the shipment in question. I sent him an e-mail requesting this information, but since I figured that this might take a while, I continued to call UPS for the next couple of days. The second time I spoke with UPS I found the representative to be slightly more civil, but equally clueless. This individual said that they still had no record of the shipment but promised that he would call the local distribution center and would have some one from the local UPS office call me that afternoon. I never heard from anyone.

One the third day, I received a tracking number from the dealer who had shipped the merchandise. I called UPS again to check on the status of the package, which they continued to insist did not exist. When I gave them the tracking number, they were able to look it up and (somewhat reluctantly) admitted that it was at the local distribution center and could be picked up at any time (including that afternoon). I drove across town to pick it up only t be told by the counter personnel that the package "was in another building" and that they were too busy to go pick it up now (at this time there was only one other customer being waited on and several UPS people in the office). I politely requested that they take the time to get the package and about five minutes later I had it in hand.

This was just the most recent of several frustrating experiences with UPS. I guess the bottom line is that while I realize that there are going to be boneheads in every large organization, there seems so be a disproportionate number working for UPS. There are too many other options available for me to spend my time and money dealing with rude people who seem to have a casual disregard for customer service. I'm not wild about FedEx either; they may be fast but they also seem to make a practice of leaving valuable deliveries in completely unsecured locations. I have been much happier with the delivery service provided by USPS Priority Mail and I will request it when available.

Sorry about the overly long rant…I guess I read this posting when I was in mood to vent.

Jim

Hi Clay,

Well, I guess I told Spark to ship the Blue Native via UPS, because I was a bit frustrated about EMS that time. But after reading all these, it scares the s**t out of me even more. I guess I might have to go and tell him to use EMS instead. But I would REALLY hate myself if the Native doesn't show up because of EMS (keeping my fingers crossed).

Yes, I too would hate to lose access to the Bladeforums store if they can't find a reliable international carrier for the goods. Unfortunately, EMS tracking isn't so reliable either, and you can only track it up to the point where it leaves the US shores. Then you're on your own. Using UPS and FedEx is another story though, as you can track the package all the way to delivery. At least that's how it goes when I used to use them a lot, until I found out about EMS through that infamous discussion with Mr. Korn.
smile.gif

Let's just hope Mike and Spark finds a good alternative. Otherwise, we'll just have to content ourselves with drivelling at the sidelines, while the rest of the local forumites enjoy the benefits of buying those specials at BFC.
frown.gif

Dan

PS. How warm is it over there right now, Clay? We're just neighboring countries, but here in the Philippines, it's almost up to 30-degrees celsius, then it'll rain with no warning. I feel like a dried-up prune already, lol...

Hello Chris,

Hmmm... I received no response from my email to you when the replacement shipment you sent arrived in record time via EMS. But that's only because I had to "pull strings" and dole out a couple of "grease money" to get someone inside the Central Post Office to keep an eye out for my package, and it worked. Anyway, I did mention there in the email that it arrived intact, and nothing seems to be missing at all. Whatever happened to the first EMS package, I really dunno anymore. I just hope it gets returned there or something. As agreed upon, if it shows up here anytime (no joke) I'd gladly pay for it all over again. But the chances of it showing up since it's already been a couple of months, well....

I guess you're right. I will still continue using EMS, as it's still the most feasible method of shipping internationally, and inexpensive compared to UPS or FedEx. But the main point is that it should really be insured, more than the value of the items if necessary.

That was the reason why I told Marti not to send a replacement first until we're pretty sure the package won't be arriving anymore. And even then, wrote to her that I would wait until you guys can reimburse the insured cost before shipping the items again. But I guess your wholeheartedness got the better of you guys..
smile.gif
And I really appreciate that, although I feel bad now that I know it will be only this month before you can file a claim for the loss (Isn't it supposed to be 1 month only?).

That was the only reason why I was hesitant to order from TOTK again, because I felt bad when the lost package couldn't be reimbursed right away, and I don't want it to happen again to you, if ever, even if the second package arrived. But I couldn't afford UPS or FedEx either, unless it was a huge order. Oh well... Let me know what happens though, as I'm really interested in knowing (so does the others here I guess) what they put people through before they pay up.
frown.gif

Thanks again, Chris...

Dan

I have found that no matter how hard I try I cannot get away from UPS. Let me explain:

1) Many mail order retailers use UPS and give no choice. I have requested to have material shipped by US mail, which I find more reliable. I have intentionally given only a PO Box address, believing that I would get my item(s) by US mail. NO WAY.... I get a call from- Guess who? UPS, stating that I must provide them a "physical address" so they can deliver my package.

THEY WILL RETURN TO SENDER RATHER THAN COMPLY WITH MY REQUEST TO FORWARD TO THE PO BOX PROVIDED.

1) UPS is NOT customer oriented. They do not seem to give a dXXX. PERIOD.
frown.gif

2) I have resigned myself to the fact that I just can't avoid them.
frown.gif

------------------
"Walk softly and carry a big stick"...TR

[This message has been edited by greenie (edited 13 June 1999).]

Dan,

I think you're right, we should go with EMS. Will you e-mail Spark or will I?

We've just had our first taste of winter this weekend. Daytime temperatures in Sydney have been around 16 degrees (C) but the best news is that there have been some decent falls of snow in the mountains. I'm taking 30 boys from school skiing in 4 weeks time and it always a bit dicey this time of the season, never qute sure if there will be enough of the white stuff
smile.gif

------------------
Take care,
Clay

Don't worry that the world might end tomorrow....in Australia it's tomorrow already.

Dannyc, You don't need to feel bad about something that is out of your hands. Marti and I would like to thank you for your business and you kind words on the forum. Please don't let the lost package keep you from contacting us when we can help you. Dannyc we appreciate you and and the rest of the forumites. Please don't ever feel responsible for the lost package. Dannyc I look foward to doing business with you in the future and reading your posts. Thanks a lot.
Chris, Top of Texas Knives
www.toptexknives.com

------------------

greenie, UPS can't forward a package to a P.O. box because the USPS won't let them. If they'd alow it UPS surely would because it's much more effecient and therefore more prifitable to deliver multiple packages to one place than to each seperate address.

Clay,

Hmmm... if you can, try to let Spark know of our intentions of using EMS. So far so good. The Kershaw he sent via EMS arrived within 6 days here.. record-breaker if you ask me.
smile.gif

You're in Australia, right? Glad you guys are enjoying the slopes.
smile.gif

Here, we're enjoying the rains non-stop, I think our country will be sinking real soon.. lol...
smile.gif

Dan

Hello Chris!

Well, I can't help it, because it's a major inconvenience to both parties involved.

But of course, I really appreciate your quick action on my orders, even though it's not necessary. You guys did a major sacrifice that I would forever be grateful for.

I just don't want the same thing to happen again, that's why I was hesitant to order again, until I can be sure that USPS can be relied on once again.

It's always a hit and miss thing with USPS. I guess when someone insures a package, they should also take into consideration the fact that if a package gets lost, money will be stuck with them until they pay up the insurance. So, proper compensation would be necessary, maybe double the amount.

Maybe then they'll start doing something about this serious problem. They came out with EMS to compete with UPS, FedEx and DHL. And I believe they are better compared to the other three, price-wise and service-wise. But the hit and miss thing is really something.
frown.gif

Oh well, don't worry, as TOTK is still on top of my list of online stores to shop on when I need some cutlery stuffs. You guys have been great. Thanks, Chris and Marti!
smile.gif

Dan

PS. Any chance of carrying Emerson knives?
smile.gif

Well I guess I'm going to differ slightly in my opinion of UPS.

My business ships tens of thousands of gifts every year via UPS exclusively. Our company ships extremely perishable items (fruit baskets, gourmet items, Godiva chocolates) and we have a very few (much less than 1 percent) come back or arrive in poor condition or later than the expected arrival date. The ease of use, ability to file a claim and receive prompt payment, package tracking, and billing options makes UPS a great choice for us.

I do agree that for the individual, there may be better options. As a businessman , UPS is the best option (at least for me!). If I ever get involved in a knife company (I can only hope) I would consider UPS as our main shipping supplier for the very reasons I stated above.

Defintely just my two lowly cents worth,

Chris Canis

Hi Canis!

No such thing as two lowly cents..
smile.gif
Every opinion here is priceless.
smile.gif

Well, UPS does take care of big customers, but for individuals, you're right in that it would probably be better to look for other alternatives.
smile.gif

I'm still betting that once USPS gets their act together, EMS will give UPS and FedEx a run for their money.
smile.gif

Dan

Back