Urban E&E skills?

And every time this law gets posted, I have to point and laugh at it.

S 265.01 Criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth degree.
A person is guilty of criminal possession of a weapon in the fourth
degree when:
(1) He possesses any firearm, electronic dart gun, electronic stun
gun, gravity knife, switchblade knife, pilum ballistic knife, metal
knuckle knife, cane sword, billy, blackjack, bludgeon, metal knuckles,
chuka stick, sand bag, sandclub, wrist-brace type slingshot or
slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or...

The "electronic dart gun." The history of this thing is so absolutely hilarious, I mean, the mind boggles at these cretins that right this stuff. Back in the 70s there was a House Subcommittee on Assassination. I can't remember if it was the Director of the CIA or one of his juniors, but they brought this electronic pistol that fired a poisoned dart. Some idiot, some infantile, paranoid moron saw this and figured, "hey, I bet the NRA hands these out at their conventions!"

So, it was included.

The Ballistic Knife, likewise, a knife in search of a crime. A totally ludicrous control freak inclusion.

There is no such thing as a "chuka stick." It doesn't exist. If they are going to write laws, the least they could do is get it right. "Nunchaku." Same with "shirken." Morons, scribbling laws about things that they don't even know how to spell.

Lots of ridiculous laws out there. But you have to do what you have to do when the time comes.

What'cu mean no such thing? I edc a "chuka stick" all the time. :D

We could always just remove the knife blade form a multi-tool to use in areas where all knives are banned. I guess. :(

We had a representitive here try to pass a law forbidding anyone under the age of 18 (or 21 I can't remember..) from purchasing cellophane wrap.

Can you carry a gun in CA? Can you carry a gun to work in CA? Can you carry a gun to work if you are a teacher in CA? I doubt it...

All of these threads really should encourage all of the like minded people to call their state reps. Hopefully, employers will not be able to ban employees from keeping a firearm in a privately owned vehicle soon in Texas. I doubt that happens anytime soon in CA.

I teach CHL classes and hope that one day teachers with a CHL will be allowed to carry too. I would feel safer knowing there was a licensed and armed adult protecting my kids.

There are precious few teachers I have ever met that I would want armed. There are people right here on Bladeforums that are teachers and from their posts, I would say yes. But in the real world, no way.

Nope. Teacher's in public K-12 can not carry a fire arm in CA. I'm not concerned with that to be honest. Besides, I have dangerous chemicals. :D

Can you carry a gun in CA? Can you carry a gun to work in CA? Can you carry a gun to work if you are a teacher in CA? I doubt it...

All of these threads really should encourage all of the like minded people to call their state reps. Hopefully, employers will not be able to ban employees from keeping a firearm in a privately owned vehicle soon in Texas. I doubt that happens anytime soon in CA.

I teach CHL classes and hope that one day teachers with a CHL will be allowed to carry too. I would feel safer knowing there was a licensed and armed adult protecting my kids.

You can carry a gun in CA, it just totally depends on the County in which you live. It's up to the Sheriff to sign off on your permit, so some are more free to do so than others. I'm not sure about the work thing, so I won't guess. Teachers, not a chance.

517419AJXCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There are precious few teachers I have ever met that I would want armed. There are people right here on Bladeforums that are teachers and from their posts, I would say yes. But in the real world, no way.

The way I see it very few would take the initiative to go to the CHL class. Then they would have to pass the written exam and shooting proficiency.

I see where you are coming from but if you really think about it how many police do you know that you actually think should have a gun too ;).

The only teachers I have ever encountered that I would want to see armed are people I know online. I have never met ONE teacher face to face that I would want to see armed, without exception.

As far as police are concerned, I have met more than a few that I wish were in another line of work, no doubt about that. But I would say overall that the police I have personally known were A-OK in my book. I've known a few turds to be sure but I can say that about any profession.

Thanks for all the suggestions here. I have a folder in my bookmarks called "gear to buy" that gets updated everytime I see a great idea for camping/survival/needtohaveit gear, and I just added a few items I didn't know about or forgot I needed.

I would add, for NYC, a can of mace and cash.

Thanks for all the suggestions here. I have a folder in my bookmarks called "gear to buy" that gets updated everytime I see a great idea for camping/survival/needtohaveit gear, and I just added a few items I didn't know about or forgot I needed.

I would add, for NYC, a can of mace and cash.

Good point. Not sure if it was mentioned but how about adding pepper spray to the list?

I have to admit that after 11 years of teaching, aside from myself, I have only encountered a few teachers who have had, or are interested in having, any formal training with fire arms. And few who shoot at least semi-regularly. Not that I expected to, however. But then again I pretty much stay in my bat cave and work on grading, curriculum, and lab set up. I'm not really a social butterfly. :D

What follows is an account as best I can remember, of the "escape and evade skills" I called upon during the New York City blackout of 2003.

Thursday, August 14.

Power goes out some time in the late afternoon.

I'm 25 floors up in the Financial District, 10 blocks from Ground Zero -- on crutches with a broken toe sustained while playing beach soccer the previous weekend.

People start freaking out, wondering if it's 9/11 all over again.

After 15 or 20 minutes of trying to understand what just happened, we decide to leave.

My direct group of coworkers numbers about 7, including several skittish women who do things like hyperventilate on elevators while evacuating the building during Anthrax scares.

They appoint the dashing and handsome former Army guy to lead us to safety.

We walk down 25 flights of stairs.

Doing it on crutches is not as hard as you might think.

Once down on the sidewalk, we see lots of people calmly pouring out of buildings, making their way on foot.

I have to get across the river and about 20 miles North to my apartment.

No cabs to be found. No direct bus routes there either.

My best bet is trying to catch a ferry 10 or 15 blocks up at South Street Seaport. Don't know why I'm sure of this -- I just am.

Decide to split from my group and go it alone after walking with them for several blocks and realizing I'm better off by myself.

All they want to do is find a cab. There are no cabs. But there are lots of people looking for one.

Some coworkers are getting antsy. Others look like deers in the headlight.

Dashing handsome guy asks profusely if I'm sure about splintering off, you know, broken toe and all.

I say, 'Yes. See ya, and good luck.' over my shoulder as I start crutching it up to the seaport. My boss is not happy, but it doesn't matter because I've made up my mind.

Arrive at Southstreet Seaport, winded, khakis soaked entirely through from sweat. It's August, after all.

And it's now dusk. I think to myself: Best be on a ferry before nightfall -- don't want to be in the dark this far from home.

Four ferries come and go -- no announcement of where they're headed when they dock.

First signs of chaos as the crush of people frantically try to make it to each ferry, even not knowing if it's the one they need.

Decide it's better to pick a dock and wait at the head of the line than to push and shove through the dense crowd futilely attempting to make it to a ferry at another dock.

Remember being surprised people kept trying to do this, when it was so clearly futile.

Surprisingly, crowd is not getting out of control -- just the usual jostling and cursing you expect in public transit scenarios.

Wait for two hours on a crowded dock, elbow to elbow, hands in excruciating pain, feeling like pulp, briefcase slung over shoulder causing neck pain.

Almost nightfall -- getting worried.

Finally and miraculously, ferry I need docks right where I'm standing.

Fairy ride is serene, almost soothing after the post-Apocalyptic scene before.

Everyone rides in silence.

City looks strange not lit up. All is quiet.

Get off fairy in my borough -- very happy and amazed to have made it this far.

Don't know how I'm going to make it the five miles home.

Hands feel like they're being stabbed with a knife every time I bear down on the crutch handles.

Lots of people milling about. Cars driving.

No chaos, just commotion.

Guy with an accent I couldn't place sees me struggling -- asks where I live.

Says to wait while he goes to get his car.

15 minutes go by.

I think he forgot me or gave up.

Start to come up with another plan -- decide that staying the night on the sidewalk would be OK if it came to that. Found out later that many commuters in Manhattan did this, in fact.

Guy returns with beat-up Toyota Celica; gives me ride home.

Freelancer girlfriend working from home back then is glad to see me but wasn't worried. Confident I could get home OK, despite broken toe.

Didn't have cell phone back then to contact her, either.

We go to the corner restaurant for dinner.

All they had left was eggs.

They were good and there was much comradery by candlelight.

This is a great thread. I feel for you guys that live in the big cities. I live in Wichita, Ks. Population about 500,000 and the biggest city in the state. The biggest thing we have to worry about here is tornados, a chemica plant, an Air Force base, or a derailed train. Even tho those things are localized to certain areas of the city I still have made plans for about any thing that could come up. I have several plans for staying put, getting across town to the folks house, and getting out of town. I am able to obtain and do have a CHL. I also have a bag that goes everywhere with me. It is a Camelbak motherload in black. Doesn't look to military type in black although it gets used for that to. I keep the basics in there. A little food, water, fak, fixed blade, compass, 550 cord, Emergency bivy, poncho, fire starting supplies, water purification tabs, metal canteen cup, cooking kit, 3 pairs of extra sox, a hat, and a cz-82 and some spare ammo. I think there are other things but you get the idea. I know that the CZ-82 pistol is only a 9x18 cal and I already carry another gun, but I put it in there and leave it there because it only cost me $169 and it makes me feel better having it in there. All together my bag weighs probably 30-35 pounds.

I applaude each one of you for being prepped and even thinking of it. It will already put you ahead of everyone else if God forbid anything should happen. I see that most everyone has alternate routes home or out of town and have at least driven them to check themout. That is great.

I am not trying bust anyones balls her just giving you something to thin about. The one question I have is this, Are you in good enough shape to take your bag and hoof it home the 20 miles or what ever distance? Have you ever tried it?

As some of you know I am in the military. I have to stay in shape so these 19 year old soldiers don't make me look bad. I am not a little guy either. I am 34 yers old 6'1" 290 pounds. I have a little bit of a spare tire around the waist but not much. I have no problems being in compliance with Army requirements for body fat percentages. I am allowed 24% and I am only at 15%. I am only giving you some history on me to tell you this. I do these kinds of things for a living, long ruck marches and such. Some days it is tough to get 15 or 20 miles behind you and some pretty good pain comes for the next 2-3 days. I would encourage you guy and gals to get into shape. It will make life alot easier and help you stay focused on the task at hand, which is getting where you are going alive and staying alive. If you are worn out and tired it will cloud your judgment and decision making. Also you need to be prepared to spend a night somewhere if need be. Carry a small space blanket or something of that nature with you. They don't take up much space and come in handy. When I deploy later this summer, all of the guys in my squad will have one and carry it with them. Not being physically and mentally prepared can cause just a smuch problems as not having the right things with you.

Like I said earlier, I am not trying to bust anyones giblets, just trying to give a little more to think about. There are alot of good people here that are doing good things. Keep up the good work.

mlrs

"...electronic dart gun, electronic stun
slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or... "

Is this a legal statute or a Cold Steel product list?

"...electronic dart gun, electronic stun
slungshot, shirken or "Kung Fu star"; or... "

Is this a legal statute or a Cold Steel product list?

Or a BudK sales flier:eek:

mlrs-

when anyone preps for disaster in an urban environment, the first thing i try to advocate is multiple routes to get home by foot, bike, or car. after that, folks should definitely try walking or biking home with what they THINK they'll need. after i made the trip home myself i definitely ditched some things in favor of traveling light.

i'd definitely recommend staying in shape and at the very least, driving the route you may have to end up walking on later. that way you can familiarize yourself with the area and keep an eye out for anything useful along the way.

mlrs-

i'd definitely recommend staying in shape...

Completely agree. If I were out of shape, no way I would've made it home on crutches during the blackout. No way.

I also advocate traveling as light as possible. Doing most of my travel on foot and public transit here in the City, I learned over the years what's essential and what's dead weight, and how even a few ounces add up to make your life hell after walking for 40 minutes or more.

It's not something many people in suburban environments think about b/c they have cars to throw stuff in. But to MLRS' point -- the moment you are your own pack mule -- every ounce counts.

In terms of "survival gear," I never walk around with anything more than a pocket knife, flashlight, some water and a protein or granola bar. In Big Cities, there are so many sources for things you might need that in the wilderness you'd have to bring with you (cord, fire, nourishment, shelter) that it doesn't pay to carry a lot of this stuff around with you all the time.

Getting home and waiting out the problem, or packing up and leaving if it's really bad, in my view, are the priorities for urban survival.

In that regard, my disaster preparedness involves what I have at home and the routes and means I've chosen to leave the City, should I need to. And that's always a work in progress.

But more than that, the right mindset is key. You absolutely CANNOT PANIC when there are lots of people around. I've felt the vibe of a group degenerate into near anarchy in a matter of seconds just from one person's comment, scream, stare, action, etc. on a subway car or in an elevator or on the sidewalk.

Maintaining calm and situational awareness with the understanding that you can adapt and overcome anything are the most important survival tips and tactics I can think of based on my very limited experience.

Last edited:
And every time this law gets posted, I have to point and laugh at it.

The "electronic dart gun." The history of this thing is so absolutely hilarious, I mean, the mind boggles at these cretins that right this stuff. Back in the 70s there was a House Subcommittee on Assassination. I can't remember if it was the Director of the CIA or one of his juniors, but they brought this electronic pistol that fired a poisoned dart. Some idiot, some infantile, paranoid moron saw this and figured, "hey, I bet the NRA hands these out at their conventions!"

So, it was included.

The Ballistic Knife, likewise, a knife in search of a crime. A totally ludicrous control freak inclusion.

There is no such thing as a "chuka stick." It doesn't exist. If they are going to write laws, the least they could do is get it right. "Nunchaku." Same with "shirken." Morons, scribbling laws about things that they don't even know how to spell.

I totally concur with the stupidity of NYS laws.

If you think about it, the modern taser intl. products could be considered "electronic dart guns". they shoot electrical darts...

Back