Urban Lightweight in K390

I was having some major burr issues with mine. I just couldn't get rid of it. So I started with 180 grit sandpaper and worked up to 600. There was still a little bit of a burr, but it popped right off with a few strokes on the white stones. It actually had a pretty nasty burr out of the box, so I'm wondering of the edge was just too thin and weak from the factory. I had the same issue with a Ti Squeak I got the same day, that was fixed in much the same manner.

I have to admit, the Urban is definitely making me reconsider what I thought was necessary in a knife. Paired up with a fixed blade, I'm not sure most folks would actually need much else to satisfy their cutting needs. About the only thing I'd like to see on this model again are G-10 scales, just because I like the little bit of added weight and density.

I was having some major burr issues with mine. I just couldn't get rid of it. So I started with 180 grit sandpaper and worked up to 600. There was still a little bit of a burr, but it popped right off with a few strokes on the white stones. It actually had a pretty nasty burr out of the box, so I'm wondering of the edge was just too thin and weak from the factory. I had the same issue with a Ti Squeak I got the same day, that was fixed in much the same manner.

I have to admit, the Urban is definitely making me reconsider what I thought was necessary in a knife. Paired up with a fixed blade, I'm not sure most folks would actually need much else to satisfy their cutting needs. About the only thing I'd like to see on this model again are G-10 scales, just because I like the little bit of added weight and density.

I've got a couple new knives with factory edge issues, one that continually crumbled while sharpening. It's the only knife I considered sending back, but kept removing metal and it has finally straighten out.
No issues with the urban except blade contacting backspacer/spring when closed. I took it apart and sanded the inside of backspacer to correct this.
Been carrying and using every day and don't see that changing soon.

I've read threads complaining of corrosion, but use mine every day in an industrial environment, cut apple and orange most days with only wiping it down afterwards. Hours later I might rinse it with tap water only, no soap, shake or wipe dry. I never oil it and only have minor stains, nothing close to rust or dark discoloration. It's fairly humid where I live.

I would place it just under m4 & m2 in edge stability, resistance to edge damage, much better than any stainless steels I've used. Takes a reasonably fine edge, and maintains it very well.
So far, I've not missed the lock, no issues with any use.

I'm surprised they're still available, being such a very good value. Might pick up a couple more before they're gone.

I've got a couple new knives with factory edge issues, one that continually crumbled while sharpening. It's the only knife I considered sending back, but kept removing metal and it has finally straighten out.
No issues with the urban except blade contacting backspacer/spring when closed. I took it apart and sanded the inside of backspacer to correct this.
Been carrying and using every day and don't see that changing soon.

I've read threads complaining of corrosion, but use mine every day in an industrial environment, cut apple and orange most days with only wiping it down afterwards. Hours later I might rinse it with tap water only, no soap, shake or wipe dry. I never oil it and only have minor stains, nothing close to rust or dark discoloration. It's fairly humid where I live.

I would place it just under m4 & m2 in edge stability, resistance to edge damage, much better than any stainless steels I've used. Takes a reasonably fine edge, and maintains it very well.
So far, I've not missed the lock, no issues with any use.

I'm surprised they're still available, being such a very good value. Might pick up a couple more before they're gone.

Mind sharing your method of disassembly? The pivot on mine keeps turning when I try to undo the screw. I'm having the same issue with the edge hitting the backspacer, but only if I accidentally let the knife slam shut.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mind sharing your method of disassembly? The pivot on mine keeps turning when I try to undo the screw. I'm having the same issue with the edge hitting the backspacer, but only if I accidentally let the knife slam shut.

The pivot and scales have a flat to supposedly keep the pivot from turning. Mine fortunately didn't turn, but can see a bulge where it started to. I don't recall any locktite on the screws, and see none from the disassembly pictures. You'll have to figure out how to hold the pivot stationary, sorry.

In this photo, you can see where mine was contacting the backspacer.

IMG_3174en.jpg

Last edited:
My urban sprint has the same issue. About 1/4" of flattened edge just before the tip, and clearly a notch in backspacer.

I am a bit late to the party but I just got the Urban in K390.
This is actually my first Italian Spyderco too and I’m happy with the fit and finish.

This little bugger is impressive, I like it better than my Dragonfly and that really says something.

I thought the whole no lock thing may bother me but the spring tension and half stop action make this a safe knife.
Now I want to try a UKPK.

I think you'll love the ukpk as well. It's the knife I carry when I have to wear dress pants, khakis, etc. I never wanted a slipit until I picked up that knife. After that I was sold.

I am a bit late to the party but I just got the Urban in K390.
This is actually my first Italian Spyderco too and I’m happy with the fit and finish.

This little bugger is impressive, I like it better than my Dragonfly and that really says something.

I thought the whole no lock thing may bother me but the spring tension and half stop action make this a safe knife.
Now I want to try a UKPK.
I still love my Urban. The only competition it really has is my FRN Chaparral, but one or the other is essentially always with me. When I have the cash I may look into getting the Urban reground to be a truly wicked slicer, and then I think even my beloved Chap with fall by the wayside, as the K390 is just an amazing steel to use.

Yeah, I am still in love with this knife. The only knife that competes with it is the Chaparral LW. One or the other is always with me (unless I have a Cat for some reason).

If I send mine back to Spyderco can they unscrew a spinning pivot? I bought it on the forums and previous owner didn't disclose all issues but the blade is pretty loose so I haven't been carrying it and it kind of makes me sad because K390 was becoming one of my fav steels

Hi, I am getting a Urban soon and was just wondering if anyone has tried modding this knife by adding phos bronze washers to it. I know there are no washers in it by default and I was curious if this could make for better action.

Thanks.

If I send mine back to Spyderco can they unscrew a spinning pivot? I bought it on the forums and previous owner didn't disclose all issues but the blade is pretty loose so I haven't been carrying it and it kind of makes me sad because K390 was becoming one of my fav steels
Update: Sent it back. They said they didn't have grey scales. They did not improve the condition of the knife for me. Custom scales are probably the only option to fix this.

Back