US Made Queen Big Boy Trapper

Happy Hippo

Gold Member
Queen released the big boy trappers - US made. Of course, that is a house company for the knife retail company in the mountains (not sure if I can name them here). It is cool that they are US made. I ordered the red jigged bone one, because I collect red knives, mostly Case. It looks like a cool knife. And it is BIG. Anyone know who is actually making them? Bear and Sons?

Where did you order one. Can you please provide a link? Thanks.

They don't list the weight of that big boy but it looks like the size best for a belt sheath LOL (which doesn't come with)
Are the blades made of steel? ... alls I know is that they're mirror polished and edge is "plain"
Blade style is listed as clip point but I see a drop point and a spey
They cherry picked a nice one for the pictures

EDIT: 6.1 ozs ... almost half a pound for the pocket

They don't list the weight of that big boy but it looks like the size best for a belt sheath LOL (which doesn't come with)
Are the blades made of steel? ... alls I know is that they're mirror polished and edge is "plain"
Blade style is listed as clip point but I see a drop point and a spey
They cherry picked a nice one for the pictures

EDIT: 6.1 ozs ... almost half a pound for the pocket
I think their specs are a little messed up because the blade lengths are different between the 2 Big Boys. The red one has 3.4 and 3.7 inch blades. I am sure the blade material is just stock stainless, nothing special. Funny they don't say the steel type. But I hope they will release a few more US-made patterns.

It's a nice looking knife. It looks well proportioned. I hope you will be happy with it and look forward to your sharing thoughts and pictures when received :)

I'd bet its made by Cooper Cutlery.. Gilbert Cooper bought most of the stuff from the Queen factory, SMKW has the rights to the Queen name. Gilbert and John Parker from SMKW are friends also.....

The
I'd bet its made by Cooper Cutlery.. Gilbert Cooper bought most of the stuff from the Queen factory, SMKW has the rights to the Queen name. Gilbert and John Parker from SMKW are friends also.....
The associations with Queen and SMKW make sense. But if they are making stuff by hand, as their website says, would they be able to make enough knives at a low cost? They have nothing for sale, so maybe they are busy with wholesale customers like SMKW.

Plenty of info on Cooper Cutlery here.....They make lower end cheap knives......
Heres one thread - there are more....

Google search for "Queen Big Boy Trapper" image search version shows a Utica knife that looks like the SMKW Queen, maybe Utica is being contracted to build them.

SMKW is claiming the country of origin is USA. SMKW's listing does not mention type of steel. Length wise, the Queen USA trappers were 4 1/4 inch closed. One of the Big Boy ads says 4 inches closed, the other 4.49 inches closed. Very confusing not knowing if these are one model, but with different handles, or not.

Utica hasn't made those for some time now......Current production doesn't seem to include anything like a trapper....

Plenty of info on Cooper Cutlery here.....They make lower end cheap knives......
Heres one thread - there are more....
Interesting info. I ordered it a) because it is US made, b) because I collect red jigged bone, c) because of its enormity, and d) because I was curious. I may collect these if they offer more patterns but I have my hands full with Case xx. I have a feeling they are selling well. I do wish the steel was specified. So because of that, you know it isn't anything great. I:d be up for a red jigged bone large stockman, a 4 blade canoe, a barlow, a folding hunter - I do like the big ones.

Here it is. It's a nice knife. BIG! My biggest gripe is that nowhere on the knife or box does it say it is made in the USA. I question if it really is, because of that. The box is nice. I didn't take a picture of it but it's a black box with a magnetic closure. Inside, it is lined with a silk-like material. Kinda looks like the inside of a coffin.

Edit: I just realized I wrote "HC Steel." They don't say what the steel is, which is another gripe, but I think it is some generic stainless steel.

Back