US Made Queen Big Boy Trapper

I admit it has been a number of years since I checked out a new Bear and Sons knife, so they could be better now, but these have much better fit and finish than the ones I've seen in the past.
I have had a couple with great fit and finish. I will probably give it a shot when or if they release a pattern more to my liking.

Is Cooper big enough to supply a line for the big e-tailer?

Who knows what goes on over there. 🤣 But that’s a fair question, and my guess would be that they probably aren’t.

It isn't a new thing, but I don't understand why they don't just say who is making a knife.

That always bugs me, too. 🙄

Looking back, except for the lanyard holes, these look very much like the Schatt and Morgan Mountain Man trapper, right down to the pin placement. Cooper bought all of the S&M tooling at the Queen auction.....but the brown bone version has the same style vertical saw cuts as the Bear made 2022 bullet knife...

When I said "copied the Chinese queen knives" I meant they just copied the description from the Chinese knives, not the knives themselves. That would explain the discrepancies in the description of the knives. Then a few days later they fixed it.
I see, that makes a difference and thanks for the clarification.

I didn't read through the whole thread so forgive me if it's been mentioned. There was a question on the place of origin & the steel used. I just copied & pasted this from the store's site. I'm not sure if they're lying or anything. It'd be pretty dumb if they were.

The Queen Cutlery Burnt Bone Big Boy Trapper features mirror polished 1095 carbon steel clip point and spey blades with nail nicks. The handles are burnt jigged bone with brass liners, nickel silver bolsters, and a nickel silver Queen shield. It's 4" closed and weighs 6oz. Proudly made in the USA.

I didn't read through the whole thread so forgive me if it's been mentioned. There was a question on the place of origin & the steel used. I just copied & pasted this from the store's site. I'm not sure if they're lying or anything. It'd be pretty dumb if they were.
Yes, we all read that but the knife itself or the box doesn't say it's made in the USA, which I find odd, albeit not required by regulation. And they didn't mention the steel initially. In fact, initially, the place of origin was listed as "China"

If these are indeed 1095 & USA made, I'll definitely be getting one.

Yes, we all read that but the knife itself or the box doesn't say it's made in the USA, which I find odd, albeit not required by regulation. And they didn't mention the steel initially. In fact, initially, the place of origin was listed as "China"
Oh okay. Thanks

They certainly harp on about these being “American made” in their video. Direct quote:

“Like I said, American made. Don’t know if we can say who’s making them yet, but I can assure you they are American made. They’re being made right here in the USA.”

My initial guess would have been Bear & Son. Maybe these could be made by Cooper, but I thought they were pricing most of their knives higher than that (except the Big Chief).
It does seem like some time since Cooper has put put a new knife of their own. I wonder if those were done by Blue Grass.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it is a Bear & Son. The one I received was put together very well.

IMG-0278.jpg
IMG-0279.jpg

IMG-0281.jpg

Best regards,

Last edited:
Anything new on this front? I’ve been watching what SMKW puts out under the Queen name with great interest. But to be honest, I kind of hate that they’re putting anything out. I’d rather the name just died with the actual co.

Anything new on this front? I’ve been watching what SMKW puts out under the Queen name with great interest. But to be honest, I kind of hate that they’re putting anything out. I’d rather the name just died with the actual co.
I believe Bear and son is making the knives, or at least some of them. I have 2 of the newer liner lock jumbo trappers and a Barlow they're alright for the money. Happy they're at least US made again.

I’ve been wondering to myself under what circumstances I personally would ever buy a “new” Queen branded knife again. I’m not sure there are any. On the one hand other knife companies, including Queen I believe, have often historically made other brands and commissioned other brands to make their knives. On the other, I know Queen is nothing but a name now. It’s not Queen doing the commissioning.

I’ve been wondering to myself under what circumstances I personally would ever buy a “new” Queen branded knife again. I’m not sure there are any. On the one hand other knife companies, including Queen I believe, have often historically made other brands and commissioned other brands to make their knives. On the other, I know Queen is nothing but a name now. It’s not Queen doing the commissioning.
Well, they're still neat. I appreciate them keeping the name alive and the USA made. I see them around the web. Haven't held one yet. I have a couple old Queens in my collection, and I find it a classy brand to complement Case and the others.

Back