US Made Queen Big Boy Trapper

I'd bet its made by Cooper Cutlery.. Gilbert Cooper bought most of the stuff from the Queen factory, SMKW has the rights to the Queen name. Gilbert and John Parker from SMKW are friends also..
I thought it felt like my Weed and Co. Knife so I thought this was possible.

I have a very hard time believing and in fact do not believe that the knives in question are made in USA.
If they are made in the USA then why not proudly and prominently stamp them as such.

Was also thinking at one point along those lines.
Thing is though ... if made off shore, aren't they now require to have country of origin stamped on the knife somewhere?
Much like most Sheffield made knives did not have "England" stamped until after the Mckinley Tariff of 1890 law and now they must ... IF they are made for export to the U.S. ... as I understand it.
Same with Chinese knives ... I've seen knives with nothing more than "China" stamped on a tang ... and sometimes maybe "Stainless" on the other side.
Of course there are knives partially made with material from off shore but assembled in the U.S.A. ... In which case I guess, most say "Assembled in U.S.A." rather than made in U.S.A.

Was also thinking at one point along those lines.
Thing is though ... if made off shore, aren't they now require to have country of origin stamped on the knife somewhere?
Much like most Sheffield made knives did not have "England" stamped until after the Mckinley Tariff of 1890 law and now they must ... IF they are made for export to the U.S. ... as I understand it.
Same with Chinese knives ... I've seen knives with nothing more than "China" stamped on a tang ... and sometimes maybe "Stainless" on the other side.
Of course there are knives partially made with material from off shore but assembled in the U.S.A. ... In which case I guess, most say "Assembled in U.S.A." rather than made in U.S.A.

Yes, they're supposed to be stamped with the country of origin, but it's apparently an easy law to skirt. There's a guy who posts frequently here who has designed several knives and has them made in China. They're not stamped. If I remember correctly there's a sticker on the box...

It is weird they are not stamped USA. Only 4 makers in US. Maybe they are assembled in US from foreign parts?

Why would they not stamp it as American made? Very weird if you ask me. Hoping for the best but can't deny a weird feeling in my gut that something is off.

May never get to the bottom of this one....Don't know if they have to be STAMPED , knives could simply be ETCHED and that's not exactly difficult to remove ;)

If you're a fan of big heavy knives, these should please you and I suppose that's the main thing.

May never get to the bottom of this one....Don't know if they have to be STAMPED , knives could simply be ETCHED and that's not exactly difficult to remove ;)

If you're a fan of big heavy knives, these should please you and I suppose that's the main thing.
No, I bought them because they were USA. It is not marked on the box either. I mentioned it in the review section at SMKW. I gave it 3/5 stars. They didn't post the review either. i didn't think they'd play that game, not posting reviews that aren't 5s.

The prices Smokey is charging for their other Queen models say Chinese to me. $15.00 for a two blade folding fish knife. No American maker would make knives for those prices.

The prices Smokey is charging for their other Queen models say Chinese to me. $15.00 for a two blade folding fish knife. No American maker would make knives for those prices.
SMKW charges $60 for this one. And they introduced it in the "new products" video as American-made.

SMKW is claiming the country of origin is USA. SMKW's listing does not mention type of steel. Length wise, the Queen USA trappers were 4 1/4 inch closed. One of the Big Boy ads says 4 inches closed, the other 4.49 inches closed. Very confusing not knowing if these are one model, but with different handles, or not.
They currently list 1095 in the specs when I just looked.

They currently list 1095 in the specs when I just looked.
Yes, I see they mention the steel now. The brown one shows that it is made in China and the red one says USA. I wonder if SMKW contracted a US company to make their knife and that company outsourced it to China. It is a new product so there are a lot of discrepancies in the specs.

I also see my 3/5 review popped up, so they didn't screen it out.

They certainly harp on about these being “American made” in their video. Direct quote:

“Like I said, American made. Don’t know if we can say who’s making them yet, but I can assure you they are American made. They’re being made right here in the USA.”

My initial guess would have been Bear & Son. Maybe these could be made by Cooper, but I thought they were pricing most of their knives higher than that (except the Big Chief).

Yes, I see they mention the steel now. The brown one shows that it is made in China and the red one says USA. I wonder if SMKW contracted a US company to make their knife and that company outsourced it to China. It is a new product so there are a lot of discrepancies in the specs.

I also see my 3/5 review popped up, so they didn't screen it out.
What I find odd is how identical the 2 look in the stock photos, it could certainly be assembled here with American made glue for the shield and American made pins to qualify as built or assembled here.

And why if all the other knives are less than $30, is the other big boy trapper so close in price to this supposedly American made one ?

I'm just kind of sceptical because they didn't mark MADE IN USA on the knife and the officially marked MADE IN CHINA counterpart that looks nearly identical aside from the covers is also so similarly priced.

What I find odd is how identical the 2 look in the stock photos, it could certainly be assembled here with American made glue for the shield and American made pins to qualify as built or assembled here.

And why if all the other knives are less than $30, is the other big boy trapper so close in price to this supposedly American made one ?

I'm just kind of sceptical because they didn't mark MADE IN USA on the knife and the officially marked MADE IN CHINA counterpart that looks nearly identical aside from the covers is also so similarly priced.
I'd guess they didn't get around to changing the brown one yet.

Back