Using nice pocket knives as cuttlery in a pinch. Edge damage?

I cut steak with a steak knife and cut open boxes containing new pocket knives with my pocket knife. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

I cut steak with a steak knife and cut open boxes containing new pocket knives with my pocket knife. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.
Yes...Yes, you are.

But seriously you guys will never wear out a knife if you know how to maintain it properly with honing it. I watched a documentary the other day where Japanese Tuna Butchers are still using knives/swords that are hundreds of years old. And really even that point is kinda moot, as most of you will get bored an move onto another knife long before you ever even come close to wearing it out cutting a few meats and vegetables.

With 1095 you can actually see where it hit the blade, harder stuff will just go dull.

miso2

Gold Member
You can not a Rockstead knife for the purpose.

Please be aware that it is not recommended to use our knives to cut food on the plate, as the knife is likely to cut the plate, and simultaneously cause damage to the knife. You cannot cut ceramic or iron with this knife.

As already stated in post 51, drawing the knife through the cut at a constant angle will only dull one portion of the blade. If it’s a wharncliffe blade, only the point will be dulled.

I myself try to avoid using my edc on ceramic plates. I've dulled too many fine blades such as buck 110 during my younger days. At that time I thought it was the steel that's soft and making it dull easily. There were selling cutting boards made of glass in the early 80's mind you. And also there wasn't any real sharpening system available to the general consumers except whetstones. It was a real pain to get the blade back its sharpness, and wasted alot of steel in the process.

Get yourself a can of Ballistol and blast out the inside and pivot once in a while following up with compressed air then dry it well, re-lube pivot and it should be more than ready to go to dinner again.

About lubing the pivot, you mean spraying some lubricant on the inside of the sealed knife? Or are you talking about disassembly being required and directly lubricating it internally?

Cutting on ceramic will dull the knife, it doesn't matter what steel it is. "Softer" steels like 12c27 would actually be better than something like s90v because it will be much easier to sharpen it back up. Since there will probably be no chipping, mostly just minor rolling, it should only take a few passes on a stone.
I once even sharpened a 440A steel knife to hair whittling sharp, then made a couple of cuts into glass, then took the blade to a honing steel and after a few passes it would whittle hair again. I have my doubts that this would work on something like s90v.

Usually cut it in the air off the plate or cut it on top of other food on the plate or put a napkin on the plate and cut it on that. But don't cut on ceramic.

Just lighten up on the pressure and quit trying to cut through the plate. If your knife has a decent edge you shouldn't need to bear down on it like it was a dull knife. If your knife will not slice a steak like a laser then it wasn't sharp to start with so you aren't "damaging" the edge.

I do not use my regular EDC knives as cutlery, but if I go out to have a steak, I pocket one of my Laguioles. Beats the dull restaurant knives.
Cwef8X0.jpg

If it gets dull, I touch up the edge. No big deal.

GundaManiac

Gold Member
I do not use my regular EDC knives as cutlery, but if I go out to have a steak, I pocket one of my Laguioles. Beats the dull restaurant knives.
Cwef8X0.jpg

If it gets dull, I touch up the edge. No big deal.

Which maker made your Laguiole? I'm in the market for one but there's so many manufacturers it's making my head spin.

I made the mistake of chopping some vegetables on a glass board with my Benchmade Bugout a few months ago. I was at a VRBO and the kitchen knives they had were garbage so I wisely busted out my handy pocket knife.... really dulled (rolled) the edge within a couple minutes and without any sharpening tools I could fix it. I was bummed to be walking around with a dull knife for a week.

marthinus

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
I made the mistake of chopping some vegetables on a glass board with my Benchmade Bugout a few months ago. I was at a VRBO and the kitchen knives they had were garbage so I wisely busted out my handy pocket knife.... really dulled (rolled) the edge within a couple minutes and without any sharpening tools I could fix it. I was bummed to be walking around with a dull knife for a week.

Though not a perfect solution and you wont get a truly sharp edge, use a ceramic cup and ad a micro bevel. Strop on your belt if you have one.

This will align the edge somewhat and at least give you a usable edge.

Which maker made your Laguiole? I'm in the market for one but there's so many manufacturers it's making my head spin.

I'd say go with Forge de Laguiole. They are local, have a broad range, and have worked with various famous designers over the years that made rather unique versions. Some highlights here.

The one in the picture is a classic black horn tip version. Horn does dry out a little over the years, and needs some soaking in mineral oil every once in a while.
hhHfgku.jpg

WValtakis

Hand Engraving, Ti anodizing, and mods
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
It's pretty much the only actual use my serrated Spydercos see...the Solo lives in my Leatherman case on my belt just in case ;). Haven't felt the need to touch them up yet:)

screenshot_20170811-163501-png.802074

A little T-Bone action...
screenshot_20170807-185437-png.746573

~Chip

skyhorse

Gold Member
My pos made in China steak knives have held up just fine for many years without sharpening?

navman

Gold Member
Never really understood the whole "I don't want to use my knife for X because it will get dull." Knife = Tool. Tools need maintenance sometimes. Cut away my friends , cut away!