Using nice pocket knives as cuttlery in a pinch. Edge damage?

I made the mistake of chopping some vegetables on a glass board with my Benchmade Bugout a few months ago. I was at a VRBO and the kitchen knives they had were garbage so I wisely busted out my handy pocket knife.... really dulled (rolled) the edge within a couple minutes and without any sharpening tools I could fix it. I was bummed to be walking around with a dull knife for a week.

In everyday environment there are so many things around you that can be of help. Although I do not often wear a belt, that suggestion was a good start. Other options found in a professional kitchen or even a household kitchen may be the rolled edge of a stainless countertop or a stainless sink rim function beautifully as a edge dressing steel. A flat piece of cardboard or even wood with a little scrubbing compound like Comet can work as a makeshift strop. Frosted edges of a glass auto window, Bottom rim of a ceramic serving platter. Although Ive never tried it but Ive heard the spine of another knife may also work to dress up a rolled edge. Look around you and think of the characteristics of other items that may help in not forcing you to go a week with a dull knife. Think outside the box.

In everyday environment there are so many things around you that can be of help. Although I do not often wear a belt, that suggestion was a good start. Other options found in a professional kitchen or even a household kitchen may be the rolled edge of a stainless countertop or a stainless sink rim function beautifully as a edge dressing steel. A flat piece of cardboard or even wood with a little scrubbing compound like Comet can work as a makeshift strop. Frosted edges of a glass auto window, Bottom rim of a ceramic serving platter. Although Ive never tried it but Ive heard the spine of another knife may also work to dress up a rolled edge. Look around you and think of the characteristics of other items that may help in not forcing you to go a week with a dull knife. Think outside the box.

Oh, I tried... I was able to get it somewhat better by using an old honing steel that was there but it was pretty significantly rolled and I couldn’t get it fully aligned. I decided to give it up before I really mangled the thing and just carried a fixed blade the rest of the trip. In retrospect, I should have tried the coffee cup. If it had been a Buck 110 or a Mora I’m sure I could have put it back to 90% correct but I have serious issues working with S30V when using anything but diamonds on a WE sharpening system.

I made the mistake of chopping some vegetables on a glass board with my Benchmade Bugout a few months ago. I was at a VRBO and the kitchen knives they had were garbage so I wisely busted out my handy pocket knife.... really dulled (rolled) the edge within a couple minutes and without any sharpening tools I could fix it. I was bummed to be walking around with a dull knife for a week.
You can sharpen a knife on the bottom of a ceramic cup/bowl/plate, ect. I typically stroke backwards at first to realign rolled parts instead of just sharpening them off...saves time and materials. This method works great. Ive done it dozens of times.

Oh, I tried... I was able to get it somewhat better by using an old honing steel that was there but it was pretty significantly rolled and I couldn’t get it fully aligned. I decided to give it up before I really mangled the thing and just carried a fixed blade the rest of the trip. In retrospect, I should have tried the coffee cup. If it had been a Buck 110 or a Mora I’m sure I could have put it back to 90% correct but I have serious issues working with S30V when using anything but diamonds on a WE sharpening system.

I throw a DMT sharpener or two in my bag when travelling. They make everything from 4” stones to small keychain sized ones, to credit card sized ones.

It makes me unworried about dulling on trips.

If you're afraid to cut a steak with your knife, you're doing the knife-thing wrong.

Maybe Hummels figurines are more appropriate...

:D

I'd say go with Forge de Laguiole. They are local, have a broad range, and have worked with various famous designers over the years that made rather unique versions. Some highlights here.

The one in the picture is a classic black horn tip version. Horn does dry out a little over the years, and needs some soaking in mineral oil every once in a while.
hhHfgku.jpg
Cool, thanks! I had been looking at Laguiole en Aubrac and Fontenille Pataud. I'll have to check out Forge de Laguiole.

To address the thread topic, I often end up using my Shilin knife and lightly drag the tip on the plate (it has a leafy sheepfooty profile and came with a slightly rounded off tip already, so no big loss). The blade is at a bit of a negative angle so the rest of the (sharp) edge goes cleanly through whatever food I'm trying to cut.

I do it all the time with my EDC. I carry a spyderco military (one of the many sprint runs that I have). I try to never cut against the plate. I usually wil lift with the fork to prevent contact. If there is contact its usually light. When cutting meats, I will cut the first piece and use it as a cutting board then eat that piece last.

Back