• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

Usps lost my knife

I sold and shipped a NIB gso 3.5 on Jan. 8th. It all went in a Usps medium flat rate box, with a shipping label purchased through paypal’s Ship Station.

Parcel was supposed to make it to OH. For some reason went to NY, then went off the radar on Jan 17th. With all the bad weather and Usps shortages, I figured give it some more time and it will eventually make it. Nope.

After a few rounds of back and forth with the Usps customer service (I have been assured that the package is delayed, but still on its way), I filed an unsuccessful mail search on Feb 22nd.
I got a nice long email stating they cannot locate the parcel.

F26A3F65-69B0-49F5-84FC-04D0DD37FF2C.png

On March 8th I filled a claim for the $50 included insurance (they have a 60 day limit for a that).

Anyone else had this issue recently?
Is the Usps service going south (beyond the common delays this days)? Or I’m just part of the margin of error percentage?
Anyone knows what happens to the parcel if the Usps ever founds it, after I claimed the insurance on it?

I sold and shipped a NIB gso 3.5 on Jan. 8th. It all went in a Usps medium flat rate box, with a shipping label purchased through paypal’s Ship Station.

Parcel was supposed to make it to OH. For some reason went to NY, then went off the radar on Jan 17th. With all the bad weather and Usps shortages, I figured give it some more time and it will eventually make it. Nope.

After a few rounds of back and forth with the Usps customer service (I have been assured that the package is delayed, but still on its way), I filed an unsuccessful mail search on Feb 22nd.
I got a nice long email stating they cannot locate the parcel.

View attachment 1762144

On March 8th I filled a claim for the $50 included insurance (they have a 60 day limit for a that).

Anyone else had this issue recently?
Is the Usps service going south (beyond the common delays this days)? Or I’m just part of the margin of error percentage?
Anyone knows what happens to the parcel if the Usps ever founds it, after I claimed the insurance on it?
Sorry about that. It sucks. To offer just a glimmer of hope.....

I had a knife do the same thing, early last year. Followed the same steps as you. 53 days later, postal employee walks up my driveway with package, on a postal holiday no less. No scans, no updates to tracking....nothing. I even checked the tracking immediately after delivery. Nothing at all. The knife and box were undamaged.

Hoping for a similar outcome for you.

To answer the OP question, for about 18 months now I’ve been negatively impressed with USPS. I’ve had packages delayed (severely), some fall off tracking while otherwise en route trouble-free, some reported as delivered a day or two before actually arriving, and others disappear completely.

Also, there are many threads in GBU over the years highlighting the fact that USPS parcel insurance is essentially worthless.

Whatever guarantee USPS once touted is essentially meaningless to me. I now use UPS whenever possible.

If it’s any consolation, I did have one USPS package from a (non-knife) retailer leave California, disappear for about 8 weeks, resurface briefly in Guam, then disappear again before finally making it to my door.

USPS has lost goods and knives worth over $3000 in the past 4 years for me coming and going. Use them as little as possible and for nothing over $200. The most unreliable carrier out there. You should be able to collect an insurance claim with a lot of effort though. Its situations like this that make the couple bucks extra for UPS well worth it.

this happed to me as well, they lost a Willson combat STARBENZA in the mail some how! it took me forever it get my money back, to bad because I would have loved to own that knife and Wilson Combat no longer makes that model I was told, my loss :mad:

The most unreliable carrier out there. You should be able to collect an insurance claim with a lot of effort though. Its situations like this that make the couple bucks extra for UPS well worth it.
Considering they go to (most times) to every address in the USA 6 days a week (and many deliveries as well on Sunday) Id wager to bet ratio wise they are actually the most reliable compared to other carriers. They also do far more then simply deliver packages such as companies like UPS. One of these days I will post a plethora of pictures Ive taken displaying some of the bone-headed crap I see UPS/Fed-ex/Amazon do on a regular basis, dont have that much time atm 😁

Sorry this happened to you . I got a phone call yesterday about a knife I ordered over a week ago from a dealer . It was addressed perfectly and returned as no such address .

5 years now waiting for a vintage 14" kerosene tubular lantern shipped USPS from New Hampshire to Louisiana. Last seen in Missouri. How would USPS lose that? Lol

5 years now waiting for a vintage 14" kerosene tubular lantern shipped USPS from New Hampshire to Louisiana. Last seen in Missouri. How would USPS lose that? Lol
I remember begging a supervisor for permission to make a special trip out to deliver a small box that had been lost in mail. There was a crowd of people waiting in the lobby of this funeral parlor for the ceremony to begin . It was a box containing the ashes of a deceased lady.

this happed to me as well, they lost a Willson combat STARBENZA in the mail some how! it took me forever it get my money back, to bad because I would have loved to own that knife and Wilson Combat no longer makes that model I was told, my loss :mad:
What happens if they find it? Ship it onto you, RTS, what?

I had a small slab of granite (something you could put sandpaper on to use for sharpening) lost by the USPS. USPS Customer Support could not find the package and did not know where it went. I called the vendor, explained the situation, they confirmed it was lost, and shipped me a replacement slab. A few days later USPS notifies me the original package showed up in their system again. Had to ask them to decline delivery on the original so it would be returned to the vendor.

It is possible your package could show up again.

I quit USPS and any business who will only give me USPS option. I would rather pay more for UPS/Fed Ex/Amazon and have more peace of mind than deal with USPS for packages.
Especially after they once threatened me at the post office to call the police on me because they claimed that the CASE pocket knife I was mailing is illegal. Despite showing them their own restrictions on their charts. So screw USPS. That happened in 2016. Never again.

USPS has lost goods and knives worth over $3000 in the past 4 years for me coming and going. Use them as little as possible and for nothing over $200. The most unreliable carrier out there. You should be able to collect an insurance claim with a lot of effort though. Its situations like this that make the couple bucks extra for UPS well worth it.
Damned straight💯💯💯

I use to process claims at the post office. In my experience, 90% (at least) of the problems and issues I encountered were due in part because of the shipper’s …”effort”. Lack of packing materials or jumbled up addresses are huge reasons why things get lost or broken.

Back