v4 EDC Prototypes Passaround

If I had my way it would be the tapered tang with thin black micarta scales with some kind of texture. Not so textured that it is always grabbing at your shirt in an IWB sheath but not smooth....and there would be no swell at the end of the handle.

By swell at the end....do you mean the width or height?

Dan

Mmh..
I wouldn't change the handle a bit. It's designed to be as comfortable as possible when in use, and that's a good thing as there aren't many knives like that out there. There are a lot of slim fixed, short bladed EDC's and concealable's that focus on carry comfort. This one is made to use, and i would not like to see that compromised..
Next step would be shortening the handle a bit ??

For al those 5 seconds cutting jobs I prefer to carry a folder..
But this is my humble opinion ofcourse..
I think this one is made to use for cutting hard, for a long time..

I also want to plead for thinner stock again. It saves costs, and when made in 3V, it will be more then strong enough for it's length + It WILL enhance cutting performance..
Full tang..

We should take this to a bar after the passaround :D:thumbup:
I'd love to meet you all and share opinions..

Cheers,
Martin

Keep in mind that the CPM 3V I get that is "thinner" than 1/4"....is still 0.210-0.220" thick. ;)

I don't want to go to oversize 1/8" (0.140-156") - like with the bushcraft knife. That's the next step down in thickness.

However, I am strongly considering a good stainless at this point...probably CPM 154 or CPM S30V.

Dan

CPM S30V in 0.188. Is that an option?
That would be great..
0.210 will need the full height grind for sure. (and I'm still hoping for a high sabre, but we'll need thinner stock then), and will be a wicked slicer with a whole lot of strength..

Next step would be shortening the handle a bit ??

I think this one is made to use for cutting hard, for a long time..

We should take this to a bar after the passaround :D:thumbup:
I'd love to meet you all and share opinions..

Cheers,
Martin

I like the longer handle. Just needs to be thinner. ;)

I thought this one was made to edc? That would make comfort on the belt a huge concern. If I can't carry it comfortable under my jacket, sitting in the car, running around town then it will spend more time in the safe then on my side. Thin or thick stock won't matter much if it is sitting in the safe.

I agree about the bar...I'll buy the first round! ;) :D

:D

some pics.

I included some of this one next to an SnG for size comparison.

Cool pics!

Hadn't thought of comparing it side-by-side to a Strider....let me know how it works out!

Dan

I got the Wood handled beaut this evening. I will try and take some photos of the knife over the next few days for good measure.

The first thing I have to say is that I like the tapered tang more than I would have thought. I have never owned a tapered tang. It really does help with the weight, and also with the balance. The wooden handled knife feels more neutral in the balance. The wood handle also feels nice in the hand. I don't think I have ever owned a wooden handled knife either. It feels good. There are a few smallish nicks and dings in the bottom of the handle (one of the reasons I am reluctant to buy wood handles, because they look so great, and then I would worry I would break them, although I did manage to put that ding on the Red handled g10 one anyway, even though it was G10).

I carried it in my front pocket out and about the town tonight for about 4 hours.

After I got home, I gave it some attention on the strop.

I really like the blade shape on this one better than the red handled one. The blade is a bit wider from edge to spine, which I think makes the knife look better. I would love to see a version with more width from edge to spine than this one even.

Just the tiny amount of difference in blade height (I guess that is how you would describe from edge to spine) makes a big difference in appearance of the knife. If I had to pick one model out of the two so far, I would definitely pick the wood handled one simply because of the feel in the hand of the tapered handle, and the tiny bit extra blade height.

I will try and give you guys an in depth review later, with pics.

Great review - I'm definitely going to try that on the next one.

:thumbup:

Dan

Mr. Koster what is your mailing address to return the knife when I am done slicing stuff with it?

Or were you doing a raffle, and have the last people on the list send them on?

Go ahead and send it home to me:

Daniel Koster
PO BOX 1658
Gentry, AR

Not sure what I want to do with 'em just yet....

Thanks!

Dan

Final Review. First off, let me apologize for the lack of more pics. I took a few early, and intended to take a bunch this weekend while using the knife more, but the wife is out of town, and took the camera with her before I had a chance to take a few more in use pics.

Well, I had the wood, tapered handle version for a while, and carried it every day.

My initial impression of the wood handled version was that it felt even better in the hand than the Red handled one, simply due to the balance and slightly reduced weight (I don't know what the weight difference was, but it just felt better in the hand).

The wood handle felt nice in the hand. It is a toss up here for me, because I normally really like the look of natural handle materials, and also like the strength and durability of synthetic materials. I would rather look at a wood handled one, and rather drop a synthetic handled one. The wood handle might also contribute to the lighter feel. The finish on the wood was nice and smooth, and felt great in the hand.

The second thing I liked better about the tapered version is that the blade appears to be a smidge taller from edge to spine, not much, but enough that it looked better to me. The taller blade profile looks to my eye (very subjective here) to be more attractive (but then again, I love the look of tall, stubby nessmuks, especially that shortie Mr. Koster made for a customer with horn handle and cpm3v handle a while ago).

Another strong point of the design from using it was the ease of piercing stuff. That blade profile with the swedge made for a very very pointy tip for great detail or piercing work.

After playing with the edge (would not shave hair off of arm) it was off for an appointment with the strop (home made ghetto strop bat)

IMG_1655.jpg

I only used the fine #6 with the red top side of the strop. I have no idea how 5160 stacks up in general edge retention (compared to other steels). But I will say that it sure sharpens very very easy.

I decided to kill a piece of fruit. The fine point handled a controlled penetration and shallow cut around the fruit. The edge on this comes down thin, so it makes for a sharp slicer. For apple, it does tend to wedge, and crack the apple a bit, but even some other thinner knives do the same on a nice crisp apple. It did work great for cutting up pears (I already knew that from the other Red handle)

I will add to this when I get home, I have to leave right now

thanks for posting details....this is all coming together in my mind....changes I'm going to employ on the next one.

:thumbup:

Dan

Any hints as to what we can look for?

BTW, V.1 is still running strong! I love the way OCS sharpens!

IMG_1661.jpg

IMG_1662.jpg

IMG_1660.jpg

Anyway, to continue my thoughts.
For it's thickness it made an great slicer, which was helped by the nice thin edge. If you were to use a slightly thinner stock of any good steel would be just fine. (I think your suggestion of .22 with the same full height flat grind would be great (especially with a taller blade, which after all would make it a better slicer). I am a big fan of the spine thickness of this one too.
The handle size, length and thickness are perfect. I have EDC's with smaller handles, which are comfortable. You will have people what want a thinner handle, or a shorter handle. I don't think a slightly thinner handle or taking a bit of flare from the end of the scales will kill the ergo's on this knife. But I would not change it for me. I did not have a problem carrying it, or putting it in a front pocket. I think an iwb rig would be perfect.

Over all, this has been a great "wow that feels just right" kind of knife. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I loved it.

Thanks for the passarround

Oh, The knife is on it's way back to you Dan. I sent it a noon today, USPS. I will pm you the tracking number.

I have the knife and have been carrying it every day. Even made another kydex sheath for it...with the loop higher (but decided against it :()

I am loving this more and more each day....I had forgotten how nice this was...and it really wasn't gone for that long.

This is about the perfect size of blade for me...for everyday use. I showed it to some "non knife knuts" and got a similar response...."You could do just about anything with that knife" and the like. I have no problem using it for everything from paring apples/oranges...to cutting up boxes...to scraping goop of my materials and so on.

I just ordered a small piece of 0.207-0.227" thickness CPM154 - going to cut this one up and try it out....I'm very excited about the possibilities of this in a slightly thinner but still stout thickness. I can take the edge down nice and thin - and still have plenty of blade to sharpen over and over again before it gets thick enough for a regrind. That's something I care a lot about...being able to use this knife every day for years....something completely reliable.

And the tapered tang is a must. I can't give it up. It feels like I have just a lil' knife on my belt...and when I reach back there...out comes a full sized handle and a stout blade. Perfect.

On the next prototype I am going to take the blade and handle a little taller and see what happens. :thumbup:

My prediction is that the thinner steel with the taller blade will make it an even better slicer, yet still be quite strong. Don't forget this blade will still be as thick as the BushMaster! :eek:

And with a taller handle, I can make the slabs slightly thinner too...allowing for a thinner carry thickness - for both on the belt and in the pocket (for those inclined).

Any word on the Red G10 one?

Dan

Last edited:
Back