Very disappointed with Benchmade 940-2 . Immediately returned

After lot of research, i ordered benchmade 940-2 as replacement to my stolen griptilian ...despite anticipating a somewhat tiny knife, i was hoping strong performance from s30v.

The blade struggles to even slice through one small box of cardboard and immediately starts losing edge...i could not even slice box of eggs. i thought maybe its poor sharpening job, so used some honing steel....it did improve for a bit but i realized this blade is very short in it belly so it relies purely on super sharpness of s30v steel but seems like i was either given a used defective product because there are some signs of usage on this item and it was just not slicing smoothly even through paper

there's a scratch along g10 scale which i cannot remove even by using damp cloth:
qQyA1U8.jpg

the area around axis lock looks dirty as if been used by someone prior to boxing:
oSI01Qm.jpg

the pocket clip looks very oxidised which means this knife was either lying in storage for too long or used by someone exposed to outdoor and resold to me:
wNV0jgD.jpg

i do not expect this when paying $170 for a knife because at this price point to size ratio, this is essentially a premium product and not a utility product.

I bought this from ikon goods on amazon btw.

on the positive note...the axis lock on 940-2 was definitely much smoother than Griptilian.

anyway...i think i am gonna buy Griptilian 551-1 g10 ..despite the fact i hate the gray color scales.

now even considering if this is a defective product, i feel the blade is just too short for stable long strokes...i didnt have this problem at all with griptilian...griptilian screams to be used.

sorry for such a negative rant...benchmade otherwise is my fav brand as their customer service is amazing and griptilian changed my perception on pocket knives.

Last edited:
Your knife looks like it was used, and shows clear signs of wear. From the scratch on the scale to the finish loss on the pocket clip. Dirty as well, somehow someone didn't catch any of that before sending it to you. :rolleyes:

Definitely a used knife.
Buy from a BM dealer......not Amazon!!
Hopefully you can return it......immediately!!
Good luck
Joe

That was most likely a knife that was returned and they just sent it to you.
This isn't the first time I've heard this from people buying off Amazon.
Joe

I have the Griptillon 551-1 and love it! Hopefully you will be able to get some satisfaction from the prior seller. Did you pay with a credit card?

Isn't the Ritter grip going to be discontinued soon? I love my 940 even if the pivot has to have a little play for me to be able to open it smoothly.

That is not a new knife, they're trying to pull a fast one on you.

I don't want to jump on the band wagon but the folks here are right. Never, ever buy a BM off Amazon. I've read way to many posts of people receiving used knives that had been returned and then sold again as new.

When it comes to buying a BM or any other high dollar knife go with the dealers listed above, I's add knifeworks for BM's. You get a new genuine product, and if by chance you get one that has an issue, easy and painless returns.

All the best!

Don't know about KSF, but KW and GP are long-time favorites, and I've never had an issue with either, recommended!

...and Happy Holidays everyone! :thumbup:

Unfortunately KC and BHQ won't ship to the OP because he is in NYC. Just mentioning it so he is aware before he tries to buy from them.

that really sucks...i have heard great things about BHQ.

in any case, i have decided to order Griptilian 551-1 with G10 as i just love the size of that blade. i will order a 940-2 once i permanently move to desk job

Back