• The rules for The Exchange can be found here. Please read and follow them. Stop using Paypal Friends & Family and follow our best practices to prevent getting ripped off or having a bad deal.

W2 Tool Steel 2" Rd

Guys, I guess the 2.5" is too large for most....But to be honest, I can't really tell much diff forging 2" versus 2.5, the way I do it, cutting 1" or so slices off the end of a bar...

For me it would be the price difference:
46lbs of 2.5" for $165
40lbs of 2.125" for $140
I know it's just a little over 8¢ more per pound for the 2.5", but the extra 6lbs doesn't seem worth the extra $25. It's a mind bender thing I guess.

Got one left? I'll take it if you do:)
I'll send you one, Craig. Thanks man!

Phil, some good figuring there:) I actually paid someone to cut the 2.5" to
length. It comes to $1.00 per bar more, or $4 per box. But $25 extra
seems like a lot more :).

Would $160 per box for the 2.5" be better? Y'all let me know.

Thanks all...

I actually paid someone to cut the 2.5" to
length. It comes to $1.00 per bar more, or $4 per box. But $25 extra
seems like a lot more :). Would $160 per box for the 2.5" be better? Y'all let me know.

2.125" rod: $140 ÷ 40lbs = $3.50 / lb
2.5" rod: 46lbs x $3.50 = $161 + $4 cut fee = $165

Now I get it. So at $160 the savings (a buck) would actually be on the package of 2.5" stock. Numbers can sure be a trip. Depending on which side of the fence your looking from, the same numbers can seem to say different things.

I wish I had a little extra cash kicking around. I've given two of the the four pieces I bought a while back away in thanks for people's generosity to me.

Hopefully when I can manage it you'll have some available.

All the best, Phil

Phil, I'll probably have the 2.5" for a while. Nobody is buying it. But I don't mind keeping it:D
The 2-1/8" is slowly goin out the door.

Kirchner, I have 2-1/8" and 2-1/2" round stock, @ $3.50 per pound. Details in post #247.
Hope to have some 1/4" flat stock but don't know when yet.

Price change on the 2.5" ($160 per 46lb box) $3.47 per lb :)

Last edited:
Phil, I'll probably have the 2.5" for a while. Nobody is buying it. But I don't mind keeping it:D
The 2-1/8" is slowly goin out the door.

Kirchner, I have 2-1/8" and 2-1/2" round stock, @ $3.50 per pound. Details in post #247.
Hope to have some 1/4" flat stock but don't know when yet.

Price change on the 2.5" ($160 per 46lb box) $3.47 per lb :)

does that mean you could bring me a couple hundred lb to Blade

huh huh
does it
huh

:D:D:D

Thanks, Stephan! I'll be driving my new old truck next year, so can bring more :)
Lookin forward to seein ya again.

69, I could send you 20 lbs of 1-1/4" square for $75 + $27 shipping. Total $102.
20 lbs is about all I can spare of this size.

Just let me know.

Thanks,

I have a quick sort of unrelated question about shipping, Are you aware of USPS making some changes recently to their limits to come across border? I'm just curious because I only recently noticed people posting the 20LB limit to Canada and the last time I ordered from Admiral they used UPS instead of the usual USPS... That may also be that I exceeded 50LB though... Just curious.

Steve

Not aware of any new changes. USPS flat rate priority has had a 20 lb limit for some time.
Not sure how long but at least a year and a half or two, maybe longer.

Thanks, Don.

Another question, regarding the steel.

If I were to make a ~24" Wakizashi from this steel and clay quench, how much curve should I expect, if any?

I'll be using Houghto Quench K oil at around 120F

Last edited:
To get the upward curve, it usually takes a water quench.
I usually get no curve, quenched in Park's 50, sometimes a downward curve and only once an upward curve.
The guys that are quenching jap stuff in oil are forging the curve in before heat treat.
Hope this helps.

Back