Wanted to say hi with my first order of XM 18 from plaza cutlery !

I just pulled the trigger on my first Hinderer today as well! And it turns out to be the same model and grind that you purchased, with a black scale. I already have my eye on some anodized ti hardware.

I just pulled the trigger on my first Hinderer today as well! And it turns out to be the same model and grind that you purchased, with a black scale. I already have my eye on some anodized ti hardware.

Congrats and welcome.

Why is that? I consider the Teflon washers a positive on the XM for its intended use.

When the blade is closed, I don't care for the side to side movement the blade has. Unfortunately, I don't qualify to buy direct from RHK, I have 4 Hinderers and paid top prices for them. For that much money, I expect a little better quality. A buddy of mine is in the military and bought one direct. I was floored at the difference in price, but that's just me. I think it's a good thing that service folks can get a Hinderer at a good price, hats off to RHK. I've got other knives with the bronze washers that have been through hard use and at the end of the day if I play with them, I don't have the side to side movement, but I'm just saying

With a closed XM there isn't much "wiggle room" on either side of the blade so I'm a bit lost on the side-to-side mentioned.

I've had at least a dozen hinderers and not one has had any side to side play. Is your pivot adjusted out too far? That is not a common issue.

Last edited:
dwisner8 congrats! ajack60 Try tightening the pivot screw very slightly when the knife is closed.

I will concur, that my 2 have no side to side play when closed. Something is out of adjustment, probably the pivot needs to be tightened a bit. I just want to share my experience.

I remember reading somewhere that Teflon was chosen because it will still work if you do not have lube. This is key if you have to clean it out in the outdoors.

When the blade is closed, I don't care for the side to side movement the blade has. Unfortunately, I don't qualify to buy direct from RHK, I have 4 Hinderers and paid top prices for them. For that much money, I expect a little better quality. A buddy of mine is in the military and bought one direct. I was floored at the difference in price, but that's just me. I think it's a good thing that service folks can get a Hinderer at a good price, hats off to RHK. I've got other knives with the bronze washers that have been through hard use and at the end of the day if I play with them, I don't have the side to side movement, but I'm just saying

The only way you have "side to side movement" with the blade closed is if your pivot is adjusted too loosely, this would be the same whether you have Teflon washers, phosphor bronze washers or concrete washers.

The beauty of the XM design is the simplicity and ease of adjustment. The Teflon washers (compared to phosphor bronze) are more suitable for the adjustability of the pivot, have better lubricity and don't require lubrication (which is a plus when rinsing or cleaning your knife). The only negative is the Teflon won't be a durable but the Teflon washers are very inexpensive and so easily replaced, it is a moot point quite frankly.

I wonder how many here have worn out there Teflon washers requiring replacement (and I don't mean damaged ones from misuse)? If anyone has worn out there Teflon washers on their XM, please send me a PM, I'll send you new ones along with a free gift if you send me your worn out ones (I'll pay for return shipping).

It's a trick! His inbox is full ;) Message me when you have room brother. Got a quick question.

It's a trick! His inbox is full ;) Message me when you have room brother. Got a quick question.

Funny, but true, I cleared out some of my PMs.

It is a trick, but not because of the inbox. If the Teflon washer is worn out, it's gone, so there's nothing to mail.

Offer stands. I'll add some parameters. Your Teflon washers have to be 50% of their original thickness.

Funny, but true, I cleared out some of my PMs.

Offer stands. I'll add some parameters. Your Teflon washers have to be 50% of their original thickness.

Just in my brief time here, I have learned who are "experts" and who are EXPERTS, and you sir are definitely in the latter category.

Congrats. You will love the Hinderer XM-18. I don't know if it is a direct comparison to either of those CRK's. Those are more EDC "gentleman's folders" IMHO, whereas the Hinderer is a hard-use tactical knife. Hinderer also makes a great EDC, it's just a different category of knife. The CRK/Hinderer comparison is not like comparing a Porsche and a Ferrari....it's more like comparing a Porsche with a HUMV ;)

FYI, you can get a little baggie with multiple replacement Teflon washers and a bunch of those tiny clip and filler tab screws from MonkeyEdge for about $7.00. A good thing for any Hinderer owner to have on hand. The parts come OEM from Hinderer, and MonkeyEdge is actually the only place Hinderer sells this small parts package.

The only way you have "side to side movement" with the blade closed is if your pivot is adjusted too loosely, this would be the same whether you have Teflon washers, phosphor bronze washers or concrete washers.

The beauty of the XM design is the simplicity and ease of adjustment. The Teflon washers (compared to phosphor bronze) are more suitable for the adjustability of the pivot, have better lubricity and don't require lubrication (which is a plus when rinsing or cleaning your knife). The only negative is the Teflon won't be a durable but the Teflon washers are very inexpensive and so easily replaced, it is a moot point quite frankly.

I wonder how many here have worn out there Teflon washers requiring replacement (and I don't mean damaged ones from misuse)? If anyone has worn out there Teflon washers on their XM, please send me a PM, I'll send you new ones along with a free gift if you send me your worn out ones (I'll pay for return shipping).

I totally agree with what everyone is saying about Hinderer knives, I do have 4 myself. I have found the sweet spot for me with my Hinderers. I'm not implying it is a bad design, flaw, or anything else. I'm simply saying, for the price Hinderer knives go for, I do not care for the Teflon washers. In order for me to have a smooth operating XM, not too loose or too tight, side to side blade movement is there. Some of my other knives have the same movement, but I paid nowhere the price for those compared to the XM18. The movement doesn't bother me on any of the knives. Without getting into a comparison of knives, which I won't, I do have a couple of knives that do not have side to side movement. I will get new washers for the two that I bought used and see how the new washers work.

I don't understand this comment. All I said was that it was a slicer grind, great for slicing. I personally do not carry knives as weapons, although many others do.

Locutus D'Borg was looking for self defense properties. Mostly open boxes of DJ lights and equipment that comes to my home. It's just all these rave reviews by people on this forum and internet enticed me into a purchase.

Congratulation guys, you've effectively hijacked the thread from the original poster, felix1k. Back on point, congrats Sir on an excellent choice and welcome to the addiction!

Back