Warenski "Main Gauche" - "Khukri" - "Tut" - "San Fran" - "Scimitar" - Surprises

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never seen photos of the original "Tut" dagger, if anyone has a link?
Thanks Bob. Great thread.
What was his preferred choice of steel used for the blades? ( besides gold!) ;)
David

I have never seen photos of the original "Tut" dagger, if anyone has a link?
Thanks Bob. Great thread.
What was his preferred choice of steel used for the blades? ( besides gold!) ;)
David

Google around and you'll most likely find some pics of the original somewhere. As to Warenski's preference for steel, definitely 440-C.

Bob

Last edited:
Buddy Thomason had the privilege of shooting the trio several years ago. Can't imagine what a thrill it
must have been for an accomplished knife collector and photographer to do such.

GemoftheOrient-KingTut-FireIce.jpg

I've seen the original on two occasions but never Buster's.

KingTutOriginalDagger.jpg

Last edited:
Kevin, you and I were on precisely the same wavelength in the last hour. I believe the three were brought together at the one and only Santa Barbara Invitational, where Buddy shot them - if memory serves. I had been thinking about emailing Buddy about the top pic - thanks for posting these two images!

Bob

Kevin,

I was viewing that picture of the three knives just a few minutes before you posted it here. I never get tired of looking at these masterpieces.

Buster was an amazingly talented artist and a pioneer....it's hard for many these days to understand the effort and creativity that he put into each knife.....Bob's Main Gauche is a knife worthy of the designation "Grail Knife" and I never get tired of seeing it displayed.

Have held the Tut dagger numerous times, and it is a fantastic piece. It is both pointy and sharp, a real knife, wonderfully balanced and lively in the hand, even if it is made completely of gold and enamel.

Have not held the Gem of the Orient, but have had the opportunity to hold Fire and Ice, and it is also an incredible piece, not nearly as weighty as you might think.

Don't recall seeing the khukuri before....it is of course lovely, but the hook in the butt portion strikes me as unnecessary and aesthetically unbalanced, as well as impractical.

This is my personal favorite Buster Warenski knife, Julie did the engraving...it is from Phil Lobred's collection-

5 3/4 inch blade, silver wrap, African sugilite inlays, silver inlays, silver sheath with sugilite, made 2002

Best Regards,

STeven Garsson

My jaw dropped about 6 times reading this thread and viewing the thread!! Thanks to Betzner and all who have contributed!! a guy can really learn something hanging around here ;)

many thanks Jeff

Since this thread seems to have widened in scope from it's original intent, I'll go ahead and show one of my very favorites, with emphasis - for obvious reasons - on the dagger's handle:

orig.jpg

orig.jpg

Ouch!!!! Now I know that it may not be one of the absolute "top 5" Warenskis, but that jambiya really tickles my fancy.:thumbup:

The intricacy and artistry of the work on these knives is astounding! I wonder how long it took to complete such knives on average?

The intricacy and artistry of the work on these knives is astounding! I wonder how long it took to complete such knives on average?

The answers to questions like this one and many others will be revealed
next year in my book on Julie Warenski-Erickson...

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

For anyone viewing this thread that thinks Buster Warenski made only art daggers, here is an example of one of the approximately 50 hunters he made in his last 10 years. He made many hunters in the 70's and 80's, but the higher end hunters of his came mainly in his last ten years, and were few and far between. This one, IMHO, is a beauty that is the epitomy of a Warenski hunter.

orig.jpg

Here, my friend is Larry Marton's Jambia with the carved white jade handle....
Also from Julie's book....

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

LarryMarton-Warenski.jpg

That's not a Jambiya, that's a Mughal (aka Moghul) Khanjar. They're very different. I love Khanjars. The prettiest Mughal antique Khanjars are - believe it or not - even more embellished than this one (which is the finest modern example I've ever seen).

Jambiyas are traditional daggers of Yemen. They are still worn today. The Khanjar is specific to the Mughal period (Muslim-dominated India during the 16th, 17th (mostly) and 18th century).

Last edited:
Buster Warenski pretty much single-handedly resurrected California style knives from knifemaking obscurity. If you look back in this thread, you'll notice an article that mentions his attitude that antique knives would one day be reproduced faithfully, for collectors who might not be able to find the true antique pieces anymore.

No Warenski thread would ever be complete without inclusion of a Warenski California-style knife. So here is an example, an absolutely wonderful piece from the collection and with the permission of Walter Hoffman. The handle inlays are gold quartz and, yes, the sheath and handle fittings are all solid gold:

Here is another magnificent Warenski San Francisco knife, which the current owner, Dave Ellis, has kindly agreed to show in this thread, specifics of the piece below (copied from San Francisco Knives, Phil Lobred Collection):

Maker-Buster Warenski, Engraver-Julie Warenski

Stats: 6 5/8 inch blade, gold wrap, gold hilt & fittings,gold quartz inlays, silver sheath with gold throat and tip and gold quartz escutcheon.
Circa 1990

PROVENANCE

Knife World - October 2000 - page 21
Blade - March 2003 - page 62
Buster Warenski website
Point Seven website
Custom Fixed Blade Knives -David Darom -page 35
Custom Knifemaking
-David Darom & Dennis Greenbaum -page 37
The Great Collections - David Darom - page 167

large.jpg

large.jpg

Here is another magnificent Warenski San Francisco knife, which the current owner, Dave Ellis, has kindly agreed to show in this thread, specifics of the piece below (copied from San Francisco Knives, Phil Lobred Collection):

Maker-Buster Warenski, Engraver-Julie Warenski

Stats: 6 5/8 inch blade, gold wrap, gold hilt & fittings,gold quartz inlays, silver sheath with gold throat and tip and gold quartz escutcheon.
Circa 1990

PROVENANCE

Knife World - October 2000 - page 21
Blade - March 2003 - page 62
Buster Warenski website
Point Seven website
Custom Fixed Blade Knives -David Darom -page 35
Custom Knifemaking
-David Darom -page 37
The Great Collections - David Darom - page 167

large.jpg

large.jpg

Thanks so very much Bob for having Dave display this amazing knife and sheath!!

Well you can add to the above list that it will also be displayed in Julie's forthcoming book!
Her work on this knife and sheath is truly exquisite!!!

All the best,
David Darom (ddd)

It's quite cool to see this pieces again, although we already did. That is definitely what makes the difference : each time you see them, you think "waoh"

It's quite cool to see this pieces again, although we already did. That is definitely what makes the difference : each time you see them, you think "waoh"

Patrick, the last piece is new to this thread. The plan is to exhibit a new piece now and then, so those who perhaps haven't seen a more complete body of Warenski's work may do so.

Best,

Bob

Correct. I was reffering to the legacy serie and the main gauche. This last one is just as gorgeous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back