WARNING/graphic**. 10 stitches because I reached for my wallet :(

Well, I guess it happens....

I now know why some people don't carry tip up :(.

Of course it had to happen the day after I got the blade razor sharp :(

Emerson Kershaw was in my back pocket, went for my wallet like I've done a million times and whattuh ya know.... Start gushing! Worst cut I've ever had hands down. Red stuff went everywhere! Had to bring out the mop. Only needed stitches three times in my life. This time it was 10. And no, I don't typically cut myself but it does happen.

:(

But I still went back to work after for 6 hours like a champ.

If you wanna see the carnage, scroll down a ways

zvgq0.jpg

Ouch! I carry tip up all the time but with the blade against the seam of the pocket. I am going to guess the wallet and knife in RBP?

Nice!

Believe it or not, that would have hurt much worse if the knife had not been razor sharp. I've always found that a rough tear is much more painful than a clean slice.

That's one of the reasons why I dedicate an entire pocket to my knife. That, and I don't want anything to scratch or ding them.

Now let's hear from the all the tip uppers that have never been cut from a tip up blade.

Sorry Converge!

I can sympathize.

Luckily you are ok. I had a similar accident with a tip down linerlock. The issue, in my case, was blade retention.

Here was my basic problem:

[video=youtube;lhEXTTzLRCk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhEXTTzLRCk[/video]

But let's talk about prevention:

1. As another poster mentioned, if at all possible carry against an outer seam so that it is difficult for the blade to open fully

2. If possible, carry the folder in a dedicated sheath or pouch. Carrying with a clip is convenient, but introduces risk.

3. Know your blade. You know something about it now and came out on top. That knowledge is key. Approach with caution.

4. If you don't like the idea of a folder in a pouch or sheath, there are some really cool fixed blades that can be carried concealed depending on your state laws.

5. I carry on the front. I still got bit. However, it seems like visually you might be able to detect an issue in the front.

6. See if you can recreate the situation in a controlled environment and learn how it happened.

7. Make sure to wash the blood off before using it for food prep. Maybe wash the whole thing in a warm soapy solution with some bleach, then rinse with purified water, use canned air to blow out the water, and oil the springs (mineral oil should be fine).

Good luck, stay safe!

Last edited:
Of course a nice cut like that is always on the most bendable, most used part of the human body and will always be on the body part that gets in the way and caught up on every single thing you come into contact with.

Why can't a good deep slice ever happen on your upper arm or thigh or something that dosent get in the way!?

Yeah that's a doosey. I carry most of my folders in my Benchmade Molle sheath for the 275 these days cause don't like having them in the pocket cause some do open accidentally from time to time. Knives are just more comfortable in a sheath too.

I carry a fox karambit tip up, and monday morning i grabbed my finger ring to pull it out of my pocket, and blade came out of the middle of my pants....

BLADE opened and I didnt realize it... Ateast ive still got my manhood..

You cannot carry a knife tip up in your back pocket. That's asking for trouble.

Back pocket should ALWAYS be tip down.

Now let's hear from the all the tip uppers that have never been cut from a tip up blade.

Probably going to be a lot of us, since it is damn near impossible to cut yourself with the spine touching a pocket seam, like it is supposed to.

I always carry tip up with the exception of my Leek. And most frequently in my back pocket and have never had a knife open on me. That reason alone is why I opted against the Kershaw Emersons

I always carry tip up with the exception of my Leek. And most frequently in my back pocket and have never had a knife open on me. That reason alone is why I opted against the Kershaw Emersons

What is the reason exactly?

I felt like there was a greater chance for the knife to open in pocket than with what I currently carry

All my knives are setup for right front pocket tip up carry, pushed against the hip seam. If I do carry in a rear pocket, it's in the left rear pocket, pushed against the seam closest to my side. For the reasons mentioned here I wouldn't rear pocket carry with the blade in a position where it could open.

Thanks for the safety reminder OP! I hope your healing process is good and speedy!

Theres only 2 knives that I'd carry tip up in my rear pocket, and they are a Sebenza and an Umnumzaan. The detent on those 2 is strong enough to not have to worry.

You cannot carry a knife tip up in your back pocket. That's asking for trouble.

Back pocket should ALWAYS be tip down.

Not always true. I've done it quite a few times before and had no issues. Just buy a knife with a stronger detent and be careful when you go to reach for it.....

In fact when I carry my kershaw Emerson, I ONLY carry it in my right back pocket (front feels weird to me), and naturally for the wave to work it has to be tip up. To get it, I just put my thumb all the way down the side of the g10 scale , pull up, rotate it so that the wave is facing behind me, and pull straight back, and the knife opens perfectly everytime.

The problem OP is describing happens more often when you want to reach PAST your knife to get something else from your pocket. Which is why I don't usually keep other things in my knife pocket;)

Probably going to be a lot of us, since it is damn near impossible to cut yourself with the spine touching a pocket seam, like it is supposed to.

I always have to watch my Griptilian when I pull it out because the studs tend to snag and slightly open the blade as it's being pulled out. Spine is always touching the seam.

I guess not all of us can be the super awesome tip up guys who get their panties in a knot when someone cuts themselves carrying tip up. :confused:

All my knives are setup for right front pocket tip up carry, pushed against the hip seam. I've only had an "almost" problem once, when I had a XM-18 spanto in my pocket. The detent was very weak, and once or twice, it started to open in my pocket before I drew the knife. I dumped it in a hurry.

Back