1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

WARNING/graphic**. 10 stitches because I reached for my wallet :(

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Converge, Jan 16, 2015.

1. aquaman67

aquaman67

Jan 27, 2012
    If you carry tip up in the front pocket with the spine of the blade against the seam of your pocket - and never ever put anything else in that pocket - you'll be fine. The only time your hand goes near that pocket is to take the knife out.

Sorry you got bit.

2. Redmasta

Redmasta

Jul 17, 2013
    ...Zing...

3. Student762

Student762

Mar 7, 2014
    Ouch, that looks painful bro.

4. Noswad0208

Noswad0208

Sep 8, 2014
    Nope, wearing loose fit jeans. I was pulling it out to open, but I'd prefer if I had some say in whether or not it opened, seeing as it has resulted in a sliced pinky finger.

5. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    I'm sorry for that bit of bad luck. The only time I've been cut was one time closing a lockback knife one-handed. I don't use lockback knives anymore.

I think the detent is very important. I've been carrying one-handed knives for a long time starting with Benchmades and some of those had very little detent. I recall once a tip-down knife opened slightly while putting it in my pocket and I cut a small slit in my jeans. Fortunately I haven't cut anything worse than that.

All of my knives now have a good amount of detent and I haven't had a problem with any of them. As a consequence I am not concerned about whether I carry tip up or tip down, and I carry both ways about equally. I always carry right front pocket and don't put anything else in that pocket except my cellphone and I don't have to put my hand in there very far to pull out the phone.

I don't particularly like tip up carry but I agree that with the spine of the blade against the edge of the pocket it can't really open there. I think if a person has a knife that doesn't have much detent they should consider how to carry it safely and worst case maybe they should consider a pocket sheath.

6. FoXHounDXD

FoXHounDXD

Dec 13, 2014
    ouch... this is why i always use a tip down carry for my back pocket knives.

7. jsp

jsp

Jun 6, 2007
    I've been bit by my ZT0561 and my Spyderco Yojimbo. I had my Yojimbo in my back right pocket of my 5.11 pants. I got up from a chair, heard what sounded like cloth tearing and then did a knife check with my right hand and got bit pretty bad. There was a 2 inch cut on the chair, a big hole in my pants with the blade sticking out of it, and blood all over the place.

If you know the Yojimbo, it has a wicked tip. I believe the reason both knives opened up is if you actually look at them, the tip of the blade does not sit deep enough into the bottom of the handle when it's closed. When cloth material gets caught on the tip, it opens up the blade.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2015
  8. upnorth

upnorth

Nov 25, 2006
    You wont be scratching your hoop with that one for a while....... I rarely cut myself, but what I dread is nailing myself a good one with an axe or hatchet. Still have all my toes so far.

9. Spydieman13

Spydieman13

Oct 26, 2014
    Sorry man, and it's right on the thumb pad...ouch. But what knife was it. Because Nutnfancy got a "Tenacious cut" from a Spyderco Tenacious

10. bdmicarta

bdmicarta Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 16, 2012
    That's interesting- there is no way that my 0561 will accidentally open, it has a lot more detent than it needs. I have tried opening it with the thumb stud just for kicks and I cannot do it. It takes a strong pull on the flipper to overcome the detent. Well I did hear that some of the early ones were made with light detent, but it seems that they made up for it on the later ones.

11. daizee

daizee KnifeMaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider

Dec 30, 2009
    Arg, that sucks!

Indeed, I carry tip-down partly for this reason (it was a CRKT mini-M16) and IWB instead of pocket so I don't have to reach past the knife for anything else. I also don't like A/O because if it DOES open it's gonna do it hard!

12. Knife Crazied

Knife Crazied

Apr 17, 2009
    Nice cut. Hope it heals up quick.

13. gnystrom

gnystrom

Dec 24, 2006
    I carried my Kershaw damascus Leek only ONCE tip up. I stopped bleeding after fifteen minutes of pressure on the wound. I still don't trust that knife without the blade lock "on"

14. 6leafdom

6leafdom Gold Member Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider Gold Member

May 14, 2009
    I usually carry my knives so the blade is always facing the edge of the pocket. This prevents any accident like this. So for tip up knives I only carry in my front right pocket. Tip down for back right pocket.

15. jsp

jsp

Jun 6, 2007
    The funny thing is that my ZT0561 has a strong detent as well. If I want to open it slowly with the thumb stud, I have to simultaneously use the flipper and the thumb stud.

16. evanPGH

evanPGH

Dec 24, 2012
    Tip up, RF pocket like so many others have posted. Never had an issue or even a close call.

I have no idea how guys carry in their back pocket. How is that not extremely uncomfortable when you sit down??