1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win a Kizer 1034A1 Gingrich Bush Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here
  3. Week 37 drawing for the BladeForums.com 20th Anniversary Year of Giveaways live stream going on from 5-6PM eastern!!
    Tune in to our YouTube Channel, http://www.youtube.com/TheRealBladeforums, we'll be drawing winners for BladeForums.com merchandise & the grand prize:
    a Sabol Brothers Kiridashi , along with BladeForums branded gear!

Additional prize(s) will be awarded to people in the livestream chat, so watch for your chance to win bonus prize(s)

WARNING/graphic**. 10 stitches because I reached for my wallet :(

Discussion in 'General Knife Discussion' started by Converge, Jan 16, 2015.

1. ron finkbeiner jr

ron finkbeiner jr

Jan 6, 2012
    Hope you are better soon Amigo, long days and pleasant nights.

2. Gavin S.

Gavin S.

Apr 9, 2009
    It has never occurred to me to carry a knife anywhere but my right front pocket. I guess people have their reasons, though. Hope you heal up fully and quickly.

3. abbydaddy

abbydaddy Gold Member Gold Member

Oct 14, 2014
    This is exactly why I strongly prefer tip down. I just cannot adjust to carrying a knife in my front pocket, so for me it is all about tip down. That said, I am currently carrying a Fantoni HB02 tip up in my back pocket, but I reversed the clip so the blade would at least be against the seam. The detent is crazy strong on that knife, and having the knife backwards is a bit of a pain, but not as much of a pain as stitches.

The detent is strong enough on the fantoni that it is hard to imagine it coming open by accident, but one time when I was demonstrating how strong the detent was I actually did get it to open by shaking it as hard as I could.

4. Guest5160

Guest5160

May 18, 2014
    Tip up right front, tip down right rear. I don't trust any knife to stay closed. To the point that I won't even carry tip down in my right front pocket. Too many horror stories for me to not have the blade against a seam.

5. Blades&Bullets

Blades&Bullets

Oct 28, 2013
    Sorry about your accident. You got bit good!:eek:

They are going to have to start putting disclaimers on the box about tip up carry in the back pocket! The same thing happened to skyline1 two weeks ago. (Link To Thread)

6. STAINLESS90

STAINLESS90

Sep 5, 2014
    Sorry to hear it and I hate to be that guy but tighten up that pivot sir. I carry in my back pocket because my wallet lives in the front and I can't remember ever having an issue with tip up carry.

7. ToxicBot11

ToxicBot11

Apr 28, 2013
    NoT in my experience..

The ONLY time I've ever been cut by a knife I was carrying was due to tip up..tip down for me..it was a front pocket too..

8. crom

crom Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 29, 2007
    Damn man, heal fast!

9. Converge

Converge

Oct 4, 2014
    Thanks guys. It's certainly more my fault than the knife. Because of the wave my wallet pushed the blade open. Honestly I've used the wave function from the back pocket by twisting the knife outward so it grabs the top seam when drawing and it works great but I didnt account for this. Lesson learned.

10. vanslem6

vanslem6

Oct 4, 2014
    Flip the clip to tip-up, left hand carry. (for back pocket, right side)

11. @LeathermanGX

@LeathermanGX Banned BANNED

Mar 11, 2014
    :thumbup:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  12. Yo Mama

Yo Mama

Sep 25, 2011

I think it comes down to a few more things than tip up vs. tip down. Detent in my opinion is much more important.

OP, bad cut man, heal quick and hang in there.

13. crbauhs

crbauhs

Dec 2, 2007
    Been there done that. I am not a tip up fan. Is don't need the deployment speed that much.

14. @LeathermanGX

Mar 11, 2014
    [​IMG]

15. Tripton

Tripton Gold Member Gold Member

May 26, 2008

My Griptilian doesn't do that. Are you wearing skinny jeans, or what?

If the studs snag the pocket and partially open it as you are pulling it out...weren't you pulling it out to open it up anyway?

16. @LeathermanGX

Mar 11, 2014
    WoW. That sounds like old people driving.
    [​IMG]

17. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    Me...tip up or down, if it's riding with the blade to the pocket side you can't go wrong.

And wow, that is a nasty cut!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  18. Samon

Samon

Nov 12, 2012
    My thoughts too.

All my pocket clipped knives are done so tip up. Never had a nick, scratch or bite. That said, I don't ever carry locking knives and slip joints have the added security of spring tension keeping the blade where it should be.

Infact, most of my knife hates come from locking blades, lock rock, blade play etc.

Hope your finger heals well, dude. In the future keep that blade as close to the seam of your trou' as possible! ;)

19. Blades&Bullets

Blades&Bullets

Oct 28, 2013
    I'm pretty sure he was joking.

20. BenchCo Spydermade

BenchCo Spydermade

Feb 10, 2014
    If you switch the side of the clip to "lefty" you're all good. (Can't always do that tho)