WARNING: Pekko Nilakka Folder!!!!

Well, I got curious last night and got out the diamond hones. I ran it back down as close to zero as I could get it and did a little testing. It fared a little better, but not much. It certainly isn't robust enough to qualify as light duty capable on my scale. Trimming my fingernails would overtax it, and I don't open that much mail. I've convexed it a little now, so I'll see how it does.

Well, I got curious last night and got out the diamond hones. I ran it back down as close to zero as I could get it and did a little testing. It fared a little better, but not much. It certainly isn't robust enough to qualify as light duty capable on my scale. Trimming my fingernails would overtax it, and I don't open that much mail. I've convexed it a little now, so I'll see how it does.

I've convexed mine totally back and tested it several times. I'm no longer getting any chipping or serious rolling even when I'm putting a lot of sideways force on the edge, but there is still one place when I cut something that when I hold the edge up to the light I can see a dimple, so I'm going to have to take that part a little farther back. It's the part that naturally you use the most when you cut wood, but I've tried to use all parts of the edge equally.

I can't see there's any way a zero grind would work on this unless you make the blade thicker at the spine so the angle is steeper. 3V is the only steel I can think of offhand that might work with this thin a grind.

I think the best mod for Spyderco is to actually make this a "Scandi" grind blade rather than a full flat.

It looks like a simple case of too hard and too thin to my eyes. If steel can't handle wood then we have a problem.

I really think it's too soft rather than too hard. Mine at least has not chipped at all. The steel stretches and does not return to its original dimensions (plastic deformation), resulting in the ripples and bends seen.

CPM-M4 would be a nice fix, or maybe Elmax :)

Although with the blade & stop pin design of the Nilakka, i don't think there is a more cost-effective route for the factory other than to keep using S30V and revisit the edge profile. Maybe some heat-treat wizardry?

Pekka requested that we add a micro bevel on the piece. I put a 30 degree micro bevel on mine and I'm testing. They're pretty hard (61) so I think the problem is too thin. We'll keep testing and keep you informed. right now we're not shipping.

sal

I'm sure spyderco will make things right.

Good looking knife though.

Last edited:
I pre-ordered one of these and its now in transit. I just heard about these problems, does anyone have any advise about what I can/should do?

I don't think I am 100% comfortable with trying to re-profile a knife I just paid $200 for, do I have any other options?

I assume that since Spyderco is now "not shipping" there is some admission of a problem so do you think they will do something about the knives that have already been released?

Thanks for any info or suggestions.

Hi Toban,

We usually make things right. New model, new concepts, new knowledge needed.

sal

Mine seems to be holding up now with the secondary bevel. I'll try it more this weekend when I can go for a hike. The edge is so thin that even with the secondary it cuts really well.

Pekka requested that we add a micro bevel on the piece. I put a 30 degree micro bevel on mine and I'm testing. They're pretty hard (61) so I think the problem is too thin. We'll keep testing and keep you informed. right now we're not shipping.

sal

Good luck with that. From the depth of the damage mine sustained and what I saw in hollowdweller's pictures, I think you're going to have to go well beyond anything that could be described as "micro". Mine seems to be stable at 20° included, and I've been slowly taking the flats down to thin the edge. I'm down to about 0.007" at the back of the secondary bevel now, and so far it is holding up.

This knife seemed like one I just had to get. I hope spyderco will make this right. Another version on this knife with a scandi grind would be perfect!

It would also be nice to know what the intended use is for this knife. I must wonder how this passed quality control if this is a problem on all nilakkas.

Well crap. I saw this model on my favorite vendors website and got awfully excited about it. Was getting ready to purchase and am glad that everybody has commented. I really hope that Sal and the guys/gals get this sorted out as it is a very attractive knife and looks like it would be a heck of a cutter. I will patiantly wait on the sidelines to see where this goes.

Back