Waterway

Surfingringo Surfingringo

Hell of a picture! Where do you live that allows you to kayak fish for sush an awesome mix of species? I am a die hard freshwater fisherman, but your photos and catches are always amazing to me! Your knife aint that bad either... ;)
Costa Rica! I live right on the pacific coast and yes, we have some excellent fishing here. :D

Been putting this one through its paces for a few weeks now.

JFLd3PG.jpg

I am waiting on this knife to be actually in dealer's inventory. Lance, remember sometime back we had a discussion about the perfect hiking and utility knife. The weight had to be 4 oz or so, a blade of 4 to 4.5", and etc.? Well, it looks like you have created the perfect answer to that. I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these.

Sorry in advance for being bothersome but any idea on a release date? I need a new kayak knife!

I am waiting on this knife to be actually in dealer's inventory. Lance, remember sometime back we had a discussion about the perfect hiking and utility knife. The weight had to be 4 oz or so, a blade of 4 to 4.5", and etc.? Well, it looks like you have created the perfect answer to that. I cannot wait to get my hands on one of these.
Hey doc, yes, I remember that conversation very clearly and it had an impact on the design (as did MANY of the conversations that I’ve had with you guys). Many of the thoughts that went into the design came from knowledge gained from conversations with fellow forumites here.

Man, I need one of these ASAP. What are you using for a sheath if you are using one? Surfingringo Surfingringo
hey Cscott, I am using the same boltaron sheath that will come with the knife. Retention is very good and the fold over “taco” style sheath gives it a very slim profile. I carry mine IWB at 1:00 all the time and it is very comfortable there.

hey Cscott, I am using the same boltaron sheath that will come with the knife. Retention is very good and the fold over “taco” style sheath gives it a very slim profile. I carry mine IWB at 1:00 all the time and it is very comfortable there.

Awesome, so when is release date? lol

Soon I hope!

Here’s a down and dirty pic from yesterday to tide you over. The knife hasn’t seen a drop of fresh water in over a month but still looks brand new after a saltwater scrubbing.

xV8ue0a.jpg
How does the edge hold up, and does it take a razor edge? Love your Pics!!!!

How does the edge hold up, and does it take a razor edge? Love your Pics!!!!
It’s one of the most responsive steels I’ve used when it comes to sharpening. As far as edge retention, I find it to be in the vg10-ish range. Leaps and bounds ahead of plain edged H1. I’ve cleaned half a dozen yellowfin and cut tons of bait with this one since the last sharpening and it will still scrape shave arm hair. It may not be s110v but it performs exceptionally well for a rust proof steel. Also shows good toughness so if it does fail it’s usually through a small edge roll or apex deformation rather than chipping like some other steels.

Soon I hope!

Here’s a down and dirty pic from yesterday to tide you over. The knife hasn’t seen a drop of fresh water in over a month but still looks brand new after a saltwater scrubbing.

xV8ue0a.jpg
this version^ you have and are using.....is still the end design correct Sir? nothings changed? thanks.

Last edited:
It’s one of the most responsive steels I’ve used when it comes to sharpening. As far as edge retention, I find it to be in the vg10-ish range. Leaps and bounds ahead of plain edged H1. I’ve cleaned half a dozen yellowfin and cut tons of bait with this one since the last sharpening and it will still scrape shave arm hair. It may not be s110v but it performs exceptionally well for a rust proof steel. Also shows good toughness so if it does fail it’s usually through a small edge roll or apex deformation rather than chipping like some other steels.

Thanks, for the reply, I like your design and plan on picking one up.

I'm really excited for this knife as well, may replace the sprig for me. Something easier to sharpen would be welcome.
Thanks Jordan. Spyderco did a really good job of staying true to the design and even worked with me through a number of prototypes to get everything just right. Amazing company. I’m looking forward to hearing feedback from you and others once the Waterway makes it to market and y’all get a chance to use and abuse it.

Friendly bump. Any news on this release? While everyone is freaking out about the rex 45s right now, i'm over here patiently waiting for one of my most anticipated releases yet. Hopefully this year?

Reactions: CAD
Back