1. Click here to enter the drawing for your chance to win an Ontario Knives Spec Plus SP8 Machete Survival Knife & Ka-Bar Dozier Folding Hunter, , Bladeforums.com swag or memberships!

Be sure to read the rules before entering, then help us decide next week's giveaway by hitting the poll in that thread! Entries close at midnight, Saturday Sept 7!

Once the entries close, we'll live stream the drawing on Sunday, Sept 8 at 5PM Eastern. Tune in to our YouTube channel TheRealBladeForums for a chance to win bonus prizes!

Questions? Comments? Post in the discussion thread here

WE Knives? Another high end Chinese company?

Discussion in 'We Knife' started by Seilu, May 8, 2016.

1. Barman1

Barman1 Gold Member Gold Member

Jun 21, 2013
    I think a team of lawy
    I think a team of lawyers could see enough similarities to cause a stir, but I see enough innovation and difference to maybe be seen as an improvement (?...).
    Differences in springs, stop pins, it locks open and closed...not sure if there is much else but as far as I can see is the lock "bar" is the only similarity.
    Maybe enough to raise an eyebrow? But it's also possible that it was purposely designed with the foresight that the patent was expiring.
    Either way it's a robust design and no omega springs...:rolleyes:

AF likes this.
  2. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    Got my Double Helix yesterday and I'm carrying it for the first time today.

First of all, this is definitely a gravity knife and I'm not sure how I feel about it. It can, like any folding knife, be opened two handed when decorum requires. When I want to open it one handed, flipping it open with a wrist flick has an aggressiveness I'm not used to.

Otherwise, I think it's fantastic. Great size. Excellent construction. Unique and, I think, great looking design.

By the way, I am carrying this in New York in defiance of the law.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    henkh, skyhorse, Hackenslash and 2 others like this.
  3. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    I'm in NY as well, but way up in the Adirondack sticks where no one really cares about the knife in my pocket...as long as I'm behaving.
    Here's a shot of the Double Helix lending a hand with some zip ties during an injector swap this morning.
    Knife performed perfectly but unfortunately the cheap Ebay injectors do not. Won't idle. Oh well, I just ordered some brand new ones.:(
    [​IMG]

henkh, lzeplin, salduchi and 4 others like this.
  4. BTGuy

BTGuy Gold Member Gold Member

Jul 5, 2016
    Just wanted to share what is my new favorite model from WE. Not sure of the model number or what it's going to be called yet as it's a prototype that was purchased from the WE booth at Blade Show last June. Finally, a larger knife from them that appeals to me that has a fairly utilitarian look, tall handles with a hand-filling grip, strong detent, and thin blade geometry meant for slicing!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

henkh, wickettedge, skyhorse and 3 others like this.
  5. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    It's good-looking. I LOVE the matching CF on the lock side.

henkh and b00n like this.
  6. BTGuy

Jul 5, 2016
    The matching CF on the lock side not only looks great, but makes for smooth pocketing.

henkh and SpySmasher like this.
  7. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    Looks a bit like a Crooked River with a flipper.
    Sign me up.

henkh likes this.
  8. Inspiribomb

Inspiribomb Gold Member Gold Member

Feb 12, 2015
    I like it, could definitely see adding this one to the collection and carrying/using it.

henkh likes this.
  9. b00n

b00n Gold Member Gold Member

Dec 15, 2016
    It's so nice to read somebody agreeing with me on the subject of matching scales sides.
    [​IMG]

I like the knife, although I could do without the thumb plate, keep the blade nice and clean and just go with the flipper. What are the dimensions?

wickettedge and SpySmasher like this.
  10. Barman1

Jun 21, 2013
    Favorite Doctor.
    What's the knife?

11. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    I meant @BTGuy 's WE Prototype, or am I missing something I got up at 4 am, so I am a bit slow :oops::D

12. BTGuy

Jul 5, 2016
    It has a 3.75" blade that's ~0.12" thick and 5" handle that's ~0.5" thick. Super thin just behind the cutting edge. Here's another picture with it next to a Sebenza 25 and Benchmade 940-1 (didn't have a banana handy for scale).

[​IMG]

13. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    WE acted as OEM on this new knife, the first from A Purvis Knives. Anyone else think it's a looker? 3.25" M390.

[​IMG]

henkh, NG VI, b00n and 1 other person like this.
  14. bflying

bflying Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 4, 2014
    This guy has been following me around lately. Should I be concerned? Looks dangerous. :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

henkh, NG VI, wickettedge and 4 others like this.
  15. b00n

Dec 15, 2016
    Could have done without the "I'm a little recurve, look at me" since it's not really a recurve and more a "Let's make it needlessly more impractical to sharpen" kind of thing to me. But other than that it's a very nice design with some good lines.

stonproject and BTGuy like this.
  16. SpySmasher

SpySmasher Lead Guitar

Sep 1, 2016
    He mentioned that little recurve and implied that the next generation wouldn't have it.

b00n likes this.
  17. Hackenslash

Hackenslash Platinum Member Platinum Member

Jul 25, 2014
    I'm amazed at how many knives WE is churning out under so many labels. Their manufacturing capacity must be larger than we realize....or WE isn't a single entity but an agglomeration of manufacturing sites.

I wonder if the WE (and Reate) method of making a knife in a limited run and then moving on will change the way domestic manufacturers operate. Imagine a near future where all knives are "seasonal" releases. I'll have to sell my other kidney.

bflying and SpySmasher like this.
  18. AF

AF Gold Member Gold Member

Jan 14, 2000
    Spyderco has done a couple of the "flash batches" which is a similar concept. Just one run of a new model.

19. wickettedge

wickettedge Gold Member Gold Member

Mar 31, 2018
    I feel like we are basically there now. It’s actually makes it exciting albeit expensive.

20. henkh

henkh Gold Member Gold Member

May 13, 2015
    WE are the largest manufacturer of high end knives in China, but still have a limited capacity. That's why WE do limited runs. That's why WE only can schedule new runs of an existing design several months later.

AF likes this.