Weekend Projects (Fun or Otherwise)

Ignition coil on the old husky pooped the bed. To my surprise I found one available on eBay (tested and works!) in the neighboring state. Finally got around to swapping it today and it's the wrong part. Booo. Bolts look like they'd line up so I was hopeful until I noticed an extra wire coming off my coil patching in the with the wiring from the ignition switch.

HC7BhRo.jpeg

No saw joy but more splitting and shooting time today I guess. There's a sizeable pile a buddy dropped off to be split and moved.

jWKUvNV.jpg

Finally finished my front brakes on the daily driver yesterday.

Needed new pads and rotors. First order, wrong rotors (what the heck was the point of entering the year, make, model and exact trim level to confirm the correct part, if they’re STILL going to get it wrong? 😡).

2nd order (different company) decided to get all 4 brake rotors (even though the rears are still in spec, for now). Only the rears were delivered. Fronts were OOS 🙄

Finally got the correct front rotors delivered. Milwaukee M12 and M18 ugga dugga tools definitely make things quicker and easier 😅

Buttoned up a little Remington 572 the other day. To be fair it took several weekends because I kept trying to make Laurel Mountain browning solution work and it just didn’t on this barrel. Ended up using Perma-Blue paste.

IMG_6659.jpeg
IMG_6652.jpeg
IMG_6668.jpeg
IMG_4605.jpeg
IMG_4611.jpeg
IMG_4610.jpeg
IMG_4608.jpeg
IMG_4830.jpeg
IMG_4831.jpeg
IMG_4833.jpeg

Ordered a new production Remington magazine for it. The knurled end had some deep rust that even the blueing couldn’t disguise.

I’ll be working on this for many weekends.

View attachment 2507145
Which plan/design are you doing?

Many years ago, I wanted to get the Guillemot Night Heron sea kayak strip kit (they had all the strips pre-cut, IIRC). All the owner had to do was follow the assembly instructions.

They even had weekend workshops, where buyers could sign up to do a build class, with instructors.

Pretty cool idea, IMO. A bunch of likeminded folks who enjoy kayaking and working with their hands. Instructors to assist and make sure you don’t screw up your build. And at the end of the weekend, voila, you have a gorgeous wooden kayak, that you can proudly say you built (assembled) with your own hands.

The pre-cut kits weren’t really that expensive back then (a decade+, 2 decades ago?). $6xx IIRC. Maybe right around $1k for the kit + assembly workshop?

Looks like they don’t have those anymore, and just sell the plans now.

Finally finished my front brakes on the daily driver yesterday.

Needed new pads and rotors. First order, wrong rotors (what the heck was the point of entering the year, make, model and exact trim level to confirm the correct part, if they’re STILL going to get it wrong? 😡).

2nd order (different company) decided to get all 4 brake rotors (even though the rears are still in spec, for now). Only the rears were delivered. Fronts were OOS 🙄

Finally got the correct front rotors delivered. Milwaukee M12 and M18 ugga dugga tools definitely make things quicker and easier 😅
My car is a 2015 but uses 2014 front brake pads

Which plan/design are you doing?

Many years ago, I wanted to get the Guillemot Night Heron sea kayak strip kit (they had all the strips pre-cut, IIRC). All the owner had to do was follow the assembly instructions.

They even had weekend workshops, where buyers could sign up to do a build class, with instructors.

Pretty cool idea, IMO. A bunch of likeminded folks who enjoy kayaking and working with their hands. Instructors to assist and make sure you don’t screw up your build. And at the end of the weekend, voila, you have a gorgeous wooden kayak, that you can proudly say you built (assembled) with your own hands.

The pre-cut kits weren’t really that expensive back then (a decade+, 2 decades ago?). $6xx IIRC. Maybe right around $1k for the kit + assembly workshop?

Looks like they don’t have those anymore, and just sell the plans now.
Guillemot kayak kits are now sold through Chesapeake Light Craft in Annapolis. I got the Little Auk 11 kit. Around $1800. I didn't take a workshop - Chesapeake has workshops, but I haven't seen one lately for strip kayaks. They do have workshops for the glue and stitch plywood kayaks that can be built. Knowing what I know now, I probably would have bought the plans and made the strips, forms, etc. Would have been a lot cheaper. I ran short on strips from the kit, so I have been making my own. Forms came together easy, and it's been a fun build.

I visited Chesapeake, and they told me not to do any fiberglass or epoxy until temps are at least 70°. So I've been taking my time.

So a few screw holes on one of my cabinet doors were stripped out and I decided to fix yesterday......

I cleaned the holes and filled them with glue....I then was distracted with beer....

Look at the cabinet door this morning, and wonder "why the hell did I lay the hinge on the door after I over filled the holes with glue?!?!?!?!"

So my project for today is.... I have this cabinet door with stripped out screw holes and a hinge some idiot glued to it in the complete wrong spot..... and I'm fixing that

Lol
If you stuff the holes with part of a cotton ball and then wet them with super glue it basically turns into a fibrous plastic like material. You can even sand it. Also, if you add a small amount of baking soda to super glue it dries quicker and harder. WARNING: Incoming innuendo from scoundrels
That’s actually quite common to come across, especially late summer when those nasty Wasp nests show up, grrr 😡
If you mix water and a small amount of dish soap with peppermint oil and rosemary oil, you can spray it around your mail box and it acts as a repellant to wasps, bees, and spee-iders. You could even spray some inside.
The dish soap acts as a surfactant.

View attachment 2500670
I knocked to find the stud. Then used a stud finder. Used a level. I can’t quite comprehend why I cannot locate it.
I used the outlet below to draw level lines and still cannot find it.
I decided it was time to take a break lest I just put a line of holes in the wall.
😞😞😞
Update.

I found the stud; it was on the other side of the outlet below.

Got the wall mount mounted… had to flip it right side up 😅
Next I move to the back plate for the TV attachment. Way too small.
I consult my wife as she had ordered it. She ordered the same one as the upstairs TV… which happens to be like half this basement TV’s size.
I figured it was time to take another break from this endeavor.
☠️🍺

Back