Welding table WIP

Not sure about that, but pink trim instead of white on that most excellent Wilton restore would have looked stylish. :p

Ooo, now I'm thinking about painting my Little Giant mauve or better yet, lilac. Seriously.

Believe me Phil, I've already considered the ramifications of choosing the wrong paint color with regards to the paint scheme of the whole shop. I've already got my little table that matches my welder. I thought about doing Rustoleum's verde green hammertone, which is a dead ringer for Wilton's original color on their vises. :D. I've also thought about Cat yellow or the blue like my first Wilton vise restore.

IMAGE_1000001117.JPG

IMAGE_1000001192.JPG

Heavens to Mergatroid!!!! That is one sweet refurb job. That Wilton looks smokin'! Really nice job on that:thumbup:

Not sure about that, but pink trim instead of white on that most excellent Wilton restore would have looked stylish. :p

Sorry for the thread drift....but Phil, I've been working on some slabs with that combo just recently. Don't even know why, just decided to glue some up. The two colors really do look good together!

Handleslabs001.jpg

Handleslabs002.jpg

Ok, back to the welding table!!

Thanks Johnny. Someone had tried unsuccessfully to braze the dynamic jaw to the slide. It had shifted slightly. Of course it didn't work. I easily pried the braze off and put it in a shop vise and pressed it back into place while the jaw was heated.

The whole restore thread is on Garage Journal:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=149645

Also, I have some blue and pink g10 I want to laminate to make razor scales for breast cancer month this year.

Ok, back to the welding table! Seriously this time. Lol

Those colorful scale slabs do look like fun. You can see the color combo in the restored vise pix. The pink tubs in the background do light up against that blue!

Sure, anytime you want to get back to the welding table WIP, we're all eyes! :eek::p

I got a little bit more done this morning. If I could get an hour or two of straight work in, I'd be able to get the frame finished. Sigh.....such is life with a family. Maybe I can work on it more tonight.

IMAGE_1000001327.JPG

IMAGE_1000001328.JPG

Just went out and measured because I was curious. The opening is supposed to be 24". It is 24 1/16" along it's entire length front to back. That makes me very happy. :)

Last edited:
More done and a question that needs answered before I can go further. Please please watch the video.

IMAGE_1000001329.JPG

IMAGE_1000001330.JPG

I'm not at all impressed with my vertical welding skills. Basically I suck donkey butt. Big donkey butt. My horizontal welds look good, but everything vertical looks horrible.

I blew through the front shelf supports in a couple places. I had to use tubing because I was going to run out of angle. I tried to run mostly on the angle and wash the puddle over to the tubing, and was only moderately successful. It don't look purty, but I got my 270 lb butt up on them and jumped up and down and both sides held, so it surely will hold rod and slag hammers and wire brushes ok.

Here's the video. Thanks.
http://redirector.googlevideo.com/v...E0C7A325424B920BEF1A91576FDC4FDEFDEFB&key=ck1

I'm not at all impressed with my vertical welding skills. Basically I suck donkey butt. Big donkey butt. My horizontal welds look good, but everything vertical looks horrible.
Me too. My welding is so novice, I would have probably just tacked and then laid it over on it's side to run the bead horizontally. It's coming along, and once you get that blue and pink paint on it no one will know the difference anyway! ;)

I was going to do that Phil, but flipping that table over and around and over and around all by myself would have gotten real old, real quick.

Decided to say screw it and make the "back" the "front". Now I have
to weld a piece of angle between the middle legs on the new back
side. However, I used nice angle for the new front, and it looks really
great, comparably.*

I think I could have had it done tonight, but my baby girl woke up, so
now I'm inside rocking my sweetheart and not wishing I was welding
even a little. :D *

I have five pieces left to weld in. The support between the back middle
legs, and the four cross members that will hold the top shelves. Then
I have to cut the pieces of expanded metal for the shelves and clean up
the welds/spatter and I'm DONE with the frame.*

The four cross members for the top shelf are going to be a pain, because
they all have to be coped into place. It takes me a little while to get it right
sometimes, but I'm determined to get it as right as I can, within my ability.*

All the legs are perfectly square down to 1/16-1/32" across
their length, which I am very happy about.*

IMAGE_1000001364.JPG

IMAGE_1000001365.JPG

Better view of the top shelf supports. They aren't in their exact places,
just thrown up there so you know what I'm trying to say.*
IMAGE_1000001366.JPG

...:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
╔══╦══╦══╗
╠══╬══╬══╣
║....║....║....║
║....║....║....║

Looks good. 8 legs on the floor-must be a really level floor our you plan on using levelers? Keep fabricating and pudding pics.

Nope. Really unlevel floor. I figure the more legs, maybe some of them will touch the ground........ :)

Nah, I'm planning on levelers eventually, when I get given some or can salvage some. I may make my own with large bolts though. It wouldn't be too difficult, or expensive.

All the shelf supports are coped to roughly fit and
the rear middle leg stretcher is cut to fit. I can put
the band saw up now and use the grinder for final
fit up. I'm thinking only an hour or two of finishing
up and final prep and I'm ready for primer and paint.

IMAGE_1000001368.JPG

IMAGE_1000001367.JPG

Regarding the top: I'm thinking I want to drill three
or four holes down the long sides and use
countersunk bolts through the angle below.
Would that work ok? My top is 3/16 or 1/4".

And I still need to figure out a color!! Right now red with black shelves is leading, but I'm still debating some type of hammertone.

Last edited:
Got outside at a decent time tonight, which means
I didn't have to work past midnight to make progress.
And progress I did make!

I was able to finish the shelf brackets quickly.
Having the coped out the other day really
helped. Not having to switch back and
forth from the grinder to the band saw
saved mucho time.

I cut my expanded metal to fit.
I think it looks decent.

IMAGE_1000001385.JPG

I dragged the whole thing to the middle
of my shop floor and muscled the top into
place. Then I put welder where it will sit
just to get an idea of sizing.

IMAGE_1000001387.JPG

IMAGE_1000001386.JPG

IMAGE_1000001388.JPG

What do you all think? I wish I had another
piece of plate for the top, or a thicker piece, but free is free.

I still need to attach the top. I am accepting suggestions.
Also, I'm still deciding on a color.

Back