Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
Yeah but his trailer had horses or a stagecoach on it didnt it? I guess that qualifies him lol.

News of the World was the last Western I watched, and was impressed with. I thought the 3:10 to Yuma remake was really good as well. Ben Foster created such a memorable character, and it’s the only film I can remember ever seeing a Spencer model of 1882 in.

Was raised on my grandparents extensive VHS library, which included a lot of swashbucklers, war films, biblical epics, and westerns. A lot of the westerns in their collection fell into that unfortunate 1970’s-1980’s timeframe, so those tended to not be my favorite.

Firefly was great, as was the new Westworld remake. Not proper westerns I guess but I really enjoyed them both.

Firefly was pretty good for a space western. Haven't heard of news of the World yet. Westworld wasn't bad, I don't think I made it through the last season though. I've always thought Ed Harris was a great actor and really underrated. Been a fan of his since The Right Stuff.

I don’t think I’m going to sign up for another streaming service just to watch this movie but, when it hits Netflix or Prime, I’ll check it out. It doesn’t look terrible.

I don’t think I’m going to sign up for another streaming service just to watch this movie but, when it hits Nettie Prime, I’ll check it out. It doesn’t look terrible.

Whaaaaat! How did I not know the Drinker had another Channel??? Thanks for posting that Chris, hadn't heard of that movie.

I love old John Wayne and Clint Eastwood movies. The Searchers, The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, The Man With No Name series… Another one is the remake of True Grit. Hayley Seinfeld and Jeff Bridges killed it in that movie. Also have been watching the Gunsmoke TV series here which is just wonderful.

Last edited:
Lots of good old movies with Randolph Scott and Audy Murphy on Grit TV.

Was happy to see the Critical Drinker review Pale Rider.

Grjngo Channel posted a Glenn Ford movie that I haven't seen. Love me some Glenn Ford, they say he was the fastest draw of Hollywood actors.

"...and to the rest of you, there'll be no killin around this church unless I do the killin...."

If mentioned already, I apologize, but I viewed Ulzana's Raid again yesterday. Stars Burt Lancaster, and in my opinion it is one of the great westerns.

I usually do not care for modern westerns but I think this one qualifies as such and I found it to be excellent. Jeremy Renner's recent accident made me think back on it - I hope he makes a quick recovery.

If mentioned already, I apologize, but I viewed Ulzana's Raid again yesterday. Stars Burt Lancaster, and in my opinion it is one of the great westerns.
That's a great movie, haven't seen that in forever.
I usually do not care for modern westerns but I think this one qualifies as such and I found it to be excellent. Jeremy Renner's recent accident made me think back on it - I hope he makes a quick recovery.

That was a good movie and one I'd call a western. He's a pretty good actor.

A couple of new ones on deck - I'll report back when I get to see them (hopefully in the next day or two for the first one and by the end of the week for the second one).

Dead for a Dollar - the trailer looks a bit cheesy but Willem Dafoe and Christoph Waltz will make it hard to turn away from.

The Old Way - as far as I know, this is the first time that Nic Cage has led in a Western. We all know that he can be hit or miss but it looks fun!

Is anyone watching 1883 on Paramoun, The prequel to Yellowstone?

I started Yellowstone when it began and couldn’t help but thinking it was a slow rehash of of the 80’s show, Dallas. A rich, dysfunctional family that moves livestock instead of oil so I’ve never made it past S1-E1.

I’ve watched S1-E1 of 1883 twice and can’t muster the energy to watch E2. I like Sam Elliott as an actor in Westerns but I’m just having a hard time getting hooked on this one.

I know most modern TV shows spend the first episode trying to build some character back story but I can’t seem to get invested in any of them. I feel like I forgot how to watch a movie.

Is Episode two any better?

Is anyone watching 1883 on Paramoun, The prequel to Yellowstone?

I started Yellowstone when it began and couldn’t help but thinking it was a slow rehash of of the 80’s show, Dallas. A rich, dysfunctional family that moves livestock instead of oil so I’ve never made it past S1-E1.

I’ve watched S1-E1 of 1883 twice and can’t muster the energy to watch E2. I like Sam Elliott as an actor in Westerns but I’m just having a hard time getting hooked on this one.

I know most modern TV shows spend the first episode trying to build some character back story but I can’t seem to get invested in any of them. I feel like I forgot how to watch a movie.

Is Episode two any better?

I keep hearing good things about this franchise. I recently picked up a Paramount subscription to watch Tulsa King. I see that the two dated shows are available but I don't know about Yellowstone.

For those who've enjoyed these, does it matter if someone has seen Yellowstone or not? Does order matter for them?

A couple of new ones on deck - I'll report back when I get to see them (hopefully in the next day or two for the first one and by the end of the week for the second one).

Dead for a Dollar - the trailer looks a bit cheesy but Willem Dafoe and Christoph Waltz will make it hard to turn away from.

The Old Way - as far as I know, this is the first time that Nic Cage has led in a Western. We all know that he can be hit or miss but it looks fun!

My wife and I watched dead for a dollar a few weeks back. I thought it was okay. Entertaining enough and no real gripes.

Haven't seen any Yellowstone though I've had a lot of people recommend it. A friend of mine said there was a female character that I'd like because she's blunt like I am, that could be an insult for all I know lol, I don't know who he's talking about.

I'm with you Rupe, a lot of these new shows are like soap operas with better scenery, but just as slow, dramatic and boring. I was stuck with a tv in front of me recently and the only thing that looked interesting was The Walking Dead, I'd seen the first episode when it came out years ago, the opening scene with him having to shoot the kid turned me off, going for shock value with that was lame I thought. It's like the modern comedies that repeat cuss words over and over again and call it funny because it's supposed to be so outrageous... dumb. Anyways where were we?

Oh yeah, I thought ok, I'll give Walking Dead another shot. Within about 20 minutes I realized it was a soap opera with some zombies and weapons thrown in, couldn't really get into it, way too dramatic. Though I've heard good things about Yellowstone.

I keep hearing good things about this franchise. I recently picked up a Paramount subscription to watch Tulsa King. I see that the two dated shows are available but I don't know about Yellowstone.

For those who've enjoyed these, does it matter if someone has seen Yellowstone or not? Does order matter for them?

I’m watching Tulsa King and I find it entertaining enough but you have to turn a blind eye to a lot of modern tech. You have to go into it with the mindset that you’re watching Goodfellas and cell phones, facial recognition software and regular old CCTV/web cams aren’t as prevalent as they are. You also have to think that Tulsa is 30 years behind the times too, which it isn’t. If you’ve ever watched The First 48, you’d know that Tulsa doesn’t F’ around when it comes to crime.

Haven't seen any Yellowstone though I've had a lot of people recommend it. A friend of mine said there was a female character that I'd like because she's blunt like I am, that could be an insult for all I know lol, I don't know who he's talking about.

I'm with you Rupe, a lot of these new shows are like soap operas with better scenery, but just as slow, dramatic and boring. I was stuck with a tv in front of me recently and the only thing that looked interesting was The Walking Dead, I'd seen the first episode when it came out years ago, the opening scene with him having to shoot the kid turned me off, going for shock value with that was lame I thought. It's like the modern comedies that repeat cuss words over and over again and call it funny because it's supposed to be so outrageous... dumb. Anyways where were we?

Oh yeah, I thought ok, I'll give Walking Dead another shot. Within about 20 minutes I realized it was a soap opera with some zombies and weapons thrown in, couldn't really get into it, way too dramatic. Though I've heard good things about Yellowstone.

I’ve seen 200# deer reduced to fur and bones in a matter of weeks on the side of the interstate.

I’m not sure how zombies can wander around for 11 seasons without being consumed by the common house fly.

Back