Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
The original Magnificent Seven was a good one, better than the remake, but a lot more action in the remake. still Like Tombstone too. My favorites Are still Clint Eastwood films, esp. Jose Wales.

Watched Rio Grande for the first time last weekend. Not sure what to say, other than movies sure have changed over 70 years. Is that considered a good western?
That's a great movie, I haven't seen it in years but I've always been a fan of John Ford's movies and his huge landscapes. I'll take that era of black and white over any color or CGI assault that they do nowadays, those 50's black and whites were the best.

The original Magnificent Seven was a good one, better than the remake, but a lot more action in the remake. still Like Tombstone too. My favorites Are still Clint Eastwood films, esp. Jose Wales.
The original Magnificent Seven was great, the remake surprised me and was pretty good too.

Tombstone is hard to beat, just a great movie I could watch a thousand times.

The original Magnificent Seven was great, the remake surprised me and was pretty good too.

In Tombstone, I may not have the quote right but is it "Hell's coming with me!"

Aside from the lack of recoil, my issue with the remake of The Magnificent Seven is, good guys get shot and they continue to fight. Every bad guy that gets shot or stabbed is dead right there.

Not trying to change the subject but, I watched a movie today that kept me hooked throughout. Technically it’s a “Western” because it takes place in Western Europe. Ireland during the potato famine in 1847. The movie is Black 47. Made in Ireland it’s a revenge flick with some good acting, action and scenery.

I have a little English and Irish blood in me but I do enjoy seeing the English punished for their transgressions (on the big screen anyway) a La Braveheart and this movie brings it😁.

It’s streaming free on Tubi if you’d like to see it.

Black 47 was really good, gritty and simple. I'm with you on the Irish blood. Ned Kelly was a good one for that too.

Black 47 was really good, gritty and simple. I'm with you on the Irish blood. Ned Kelly was a good one for that too.
Never heard of Ned Kelly until the Aussie neighbor moved in about a dozen years ago. Now I even have a Ned Kelly can coozie somewhere around here. 😁
IMG_0086.jpeg

I think we're at 945 but we're still working at it. Ain't done yet!

My dad introduced me to True Grit as soon as he was able to get a copy back in the 70's when Betamax came out.
Ever since, Westerns have been a genre that I've enjoyed.
When asked, the ones that immediately come to mind are:
Tombstone, of course.
Silverado
3:10 to Yuma
Pale Rider
The Last Of The Mohicans

My dad introduced me to True Grit as soon as he was able to get a copy back in the 70's when Betamax came out.
Ever since, Westerns have been a genre that I've enjoyed.
When asked, the ones that immediately come to mind are:
Tombstone, of course.
Silverado
3:10 to Yuma
Pale Rider
The Last Of The Mohicans
My Grandpa and I watched westerns as far back as I can remember. Which 3:10 to Yuma do you like better? I've always been a Glenn Ford fan so it's the original for me.

I've never seen Last of the Mohicans, there are a lot of good 90's movies that I've never seen. Guess I was busy working and got in my own little world, besides I turned my back on culture when grunge came out and destroyed rock music 😆 I wasn't into that misery though in hindsight there were some good songs.

My Grandpa and I watched westerns as far back as I can remember. Which 3:10 to Yuma do you like better? I've always been a Glenn Ford fan so it's the original for me.

I've never seen Last of the Mohicans, there are a lot of good 90's movies that I've never seen. Guess I was busy working and got in my own little world, besides I turned my back on culture when grunge came out and destroyed rock music 😆 I wasn't into that misery though in hindsight there were some good songs.

I saw the original 3:10 to Yuma long before the new one, re-watched it in anticipation of the new one and then was promptly let down when I saw it at the theater. That said, I watched the new one last week after reading some fresh perspective on it and I instantly had far more appreciation for it. Still not the original but I can appreciate the differences in storytelling a lot more now.

(I will say this though, and it may be sacrilege to fans of the Duke, but I liked the True Grit remake far more than the original.)

You should make a point to watch Last of the Mohicans sometime, John. It is pretty watered down from the book but it is still a well crafted movie with great performances from Daniel Day-Lewis, Wes Studi, Maurice Roeves, among others. I am biased though, James Fenimore Cooper was a favorite boyhood author of mine.

You should make a point to watch Last of the Mohicans sometime, John. It is pretty watered down from the book but it is still a well crafted movie with great performances from Daniel Day-Lewis, Wes Studi, Maurice Roeves, among others. I am biased though, James Fenimore Cooper was a favorite boyhood author of mine.
Saw that in the theater and haven't watched it since. Can't remember anything about it.

Saw that in the theater and haven't watched it since. Can't remember anything about it.

It's one of my wife's favorite movies and it isn't even a type of show that she typically likes. Something about the romance, likely... 😏

I do often wonder if they will ever attempt to remake it. Some of the movies that are being made nowadays with greater sensitivity towards Native Americans have turned out tremendous. Getting their cultural and language input not only immortalizes their heritage accurately in film but it also shows the world they are more than just props in Hollywood storytelling.

I prefer the remake. It's grittier, the characters are darker, and just overall gave a much more tense vibe to the movie.
I do feel however, that black and white movies don't give me the same intensity as color when it comes to action.
Even in modern movies that are shot in b & w, I feel a little underwhelmed.
One of these is The Lighthouse, based on a the true story of events that occurred in the 1900s.
When I first heard it on a podcast, then later read about it, it was very creepy and suspenseful. But when I saw the movie, it didn't have the same feel despite it being very well done and acted out.

Do catch Last of the Mohicans when you get a chance, I loved it despite not having read the book, but maybe that helped 😆. Great musical score too.

I'm a sucker for black and white, the old Kurosawa action scenes draw me in just as much if not more than the modern color action scenes.

I need to watch Last of the Mohicans, I've always heard it was a great movie and you can't beat Daniel Day Lewis.

It's one of my wife's favorite movies and it isn't even a type of show that she typically likes. Something about the romance, likely... 😏

I do often wonder if they will ever attempt to remake it. Some of the movies that are being made nowadays with greater sensitivity towards Native Americans have turned out tremendous. Getting their cultural and language input not only immortalizes their heritage accurately in film but it also shows the world they are more than just props in Hollywood storytelling.

The Last of the Mohicans production in question is a beautiful presentation with an excellent score and good acting. For whatever is either historically inaccurate or different from the book, and however a person feels about the romantic content, it's worth seeing.

If they remade it today, I'd expect to see a lot more historically inaccurate "diversity", at least in replacement of the white characters, and some of the romance would be same-sex or gender-queer. We'd probably also get more focus on feeling bad for things that happened before we were born.

Last edited:
Back