Western Movies

How do you respond to people that say they don't like Westerns?

• Walk away

Votes: 10 43.5%
  • Bust a Cap, then Walk Away

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
I’ve seen 200# deer reduced to fur and bones in a matter of weeks on the side of the interstate.

I’m not sure how zombies can wander around for 11 seasons without being consumed by the common house fly.
Froggy Fresh has had one in his basement for a while, gotta keep 'em out of the sun.

Zombie Mike is dirt at all games.

I’m watching Tulsa King and I find it entertaining enough but you have to turn a blind eye to a lot of modern tech. You have to go into it with the mindset that you’re watching Goodfellas and cell phones, facial recognition software and regular old CCTV/web cams aren’t as prevalent as they are. You also have to think that Tulsa is 30 years behind the times too, which it isn’t. If you’ve ever watched The First 48, you’d know that Tulsa doesn’t F’ around when it comes to crime.

You raise good points about technology and law enforcement. There are things that test my suspension of disbelief but there is still a lot to enjoy. The pacing would help but that brings up another issue.

This is the kind of show I want to binge-watch. Being caught up and having to wait for the next episode ends up hurting my enjoyment of the series. On the one hand, it gives me more time to think about stuff like the above. On the other hand, not enough gets wrapped up per episode. So there is a lot of draw without a lot of resolution and it feels frustrating. I might take a week off to increase the portion size...

Is anyone watching 1883 on Paramoun, The prequel to Yellowstone?

I started Yellowstone when it began and couldn’t help but thinking it was a slow rehash of of the 80’s show, Dallas. A rich, dysfunctional family that moves livestock instead of oil so I’ve never made it past S1-E1.

I’ve watched S1-E1 of 1883 twice and can’t muster the energy to watch E2. I like Sam Elliott as an actor in Westerns but I’m just having a hard time getting hooked on this one.

I know most modern TV shows spend the first episode trying to build some character back story but I can’t seem to get invested in any of them. I feel like I forgot how to watch a movie.

Is Episode two any better?

Yellowstone has been recommended to me on occasion. I suspect it epitomizes what I dislike about "modern" westerns - too much fluff and not enough of what I like about a good western. That said, I have watched 1883, mostly because - how can you go wrong with Sam Elliott in a western?! It was ok, I was getting irritated about halfway to 3/4 of the way through the series, but it was otherwise fairly decent. Tim McGraw and Faith Hill did way better than I was prepared to give them any credit for - my hangups were with the show's focus on their characters' daughter (it got tiresome after awhile) and too much modern lingo in the dialogue.

I am curious about 1923 (the next step up in time for the Dutton family). Harrison Ford and Helen Mirren will be hard to say no to.

My wife and I watched dead for a dollar a few weeks back. I thought it was okay. Entertaining enough and no real gripes.

Just watched this last night! It was entertaining as hell - pretty solid with the landscapes, the music, and the casting was all-around really excellent. Just a good old-fashioned western - nothing wrong with that.

A couple of new ones on deck - I'll report back when I get to see them (hopefully in the next day or two for the first one and by the end of the week for the second one).

Dead for a Dollar - the trailer looks a bit cheesy but Willem Dafoe and Christoph Waltz will make it hard to turn away from.

The Old Way - as far as I know, this is the first time that Nic Cage has led in a Western. We all know that he can be hit or miss but it looks fun!

now you got me interested in The Old Way. I still have his performance in National Treasure in my head and I have a hard time reconciling how he can be a cowbly. ;)

now you got me interested in The Old Way. I still have his performance in National Treasure in my head and I have a hard time reconciling how he can be a cowbly. ;)

Well, he did play an Arizona outlaw once..... 😆
covid19-raising.gif

Ok, not a western but it checks a lot of the boxes, loyalty, integrity, honor, self sacrifice etc.. Bare with me here.

Now, I'm not a big fan of zombie movies, it's been played out. I'm so glad the Zombie green craze finally disappeared from the knife world, that was pretty horrible and went on for way too long.

Anyways, in my opinion this is the best zombie show ever made. It has some of the best scenes of all time, one of which is a short battle played in slow motion and in reverse, I tried to find it on Youtube but couldn't unfortunately. Good story, great characters, too much gore but an awesome show. I've watched it twice over the years and would watch it again, there's a rumour of a third season coming out.

There's a lot of the Korean shows set in the past that are great and then there's a whole genre of them that are miserably slow and terribly cheesy unwatchable soap operas. You'll know those when you see them.

The kids love this show, it's terribly violent and gory but once you get past that it's got some great examples of honor and loyalty in the midst of chaos.

If like me you're tired of too much CGI and no plot, check out Kingdom, it's on Netflix.

Has anyone else seen it?

Ok, not a western but it checks a lot of the boxes, loyalty, integrity, honor, self sacrifice etc.. Bare with me here.

Now, I'm not a big fan of zombie movies, it's been played out. I'm so glad the Zombie green craze finally disappeared from the knife world, that was pretty horrible and went on for way too long.

Anyways, in my opinion this is the best zombie show ever made. It has some of the best scenes of all time, one of which is a short battle played in slow motion and in reverse, I tried to find it on Youtube but couldn't unfortunately. Good story, great characters, too much gore but an awesome show. I've watched it twice over the years and would watch it again, there's a rumour of a third season coming out.

There's a lot of the Korean shows set in the past that are great and then there's a whole genre of them that are miserably slow and terribly cheesy unwatchable soap operas. You'll know those when you see them.

The kids love this show, it's terribly violent and gory but once you get past that it's got some great examples of honor and loyalty in the midst of chaos.

If like me you're tired of too much CGI and no plot, check out Kingdom, it's on Netflix.

Has anyone else seen it?

I started it awhile back but haven't finished it yet. What I've seen has been quite good. I did see the movie that is set up as a prequel to the show and I'd recommend watching that at some point.

Kingdom: Ashin of the North

Last edited:
My buddy and I are going to watch Forsaken this evening. A relatively recent one with both Kiefer and Donald Sutherland. I'm not too sure how my radar missed this one but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

I started it awhile back but haven't finished it yet. What I've seen has been quite good. I did see the movie that is set up as a prequel to the show and I'd recommend watching that at some point.

Kingdom: Ashin of the North

The second season of Kingdom is really good, I haven't watched Ashin yet, I'll check it out.

Not really an American western, found a slow moving film in Australia with Russel Crowe from 1993 called The Silver Brumby, so far I like it. I also liked The Man from Snowy River and Quigley Down Under.

This was one of my favorite western shows back in the day. "The Guns of Will Sonnet". It's a little campy but is a great show. Walter Brennan is an old badass in search of his son. Anyone ever seen it?

This is the first episode, looks like a lot of them are in a playlist on that channel.

This was one of my favorite western shows back in the day. "The Guns of Will Sonnet". It's a little campy but is a great show. Walter Brennan is an old badass in search of his son. Anyone ever seen it?

This is the first episode, looks like a lot of them are in a playlist on that channel.

I don't think I have seen it but I have it on the list now.

Every Thursday is movie night with some buddies of mine. We drink wine and/or some fine spirit, eat great food, and watch a couple films in a home theater that I helped build. When I get to pick the films, I usually lean into Westerns.

We started with a new one, Murder at Yellowstone City. It was filmed in Montana and features Gabriel Byrne, Thomas Jane, and Richard Dreyfuss. It is a bit of a murder mystery/western mashup and was a bit long and meandering but it was beautifully shot, well acted, and had some campy throwbacks to some of the old school westerns.

Watched The Proposition again as well. That is a superb movie with Guy Pearce and Danny Huston. Dark, gritty, and set in the Australian Outback.

My buddy and I are going to watch Forsaken this evening. A relatively recent one with both Kiefer and Donald Sutherland. I'm not too sure how my radar missed this one but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Good call. Hadn’t seen that one either. We watched it last Friday. Decent. 👍

We started with a new one, Murder at Yellowstone City. It was filmed in Montana and features Gabriel Byrne, Thomas Jane, and Richard Dreyfuss. It is a bit of a murder mystery/western mashup and was a bit long and meandering but it was beautifully shot, well acted, and had some campy throwbacks to some of the old school westerns.

Might have to look for this one to watch tonight! 😎

Good call. Hadn’t seen that one either. We watched it last Friday. Decent. 👍

It is pretty great. I thought the acting between the father and son duo was deep and impactful. Just a solid western all around. Plus, Michael Wincott and that voice of his is always a pleasure.

I don't think I have seen it but I have it on the list now.

Every Thursday is movie night with some buddies of mine. We drink wine and/or some fine spirit, eat great food, and watch a couple films in a home theater that I helped build. When I get to pick the films, I usually lean into Westerns.

Watched The Proposition again as well. That is a superb movie with Guy Pearce and Danny Huston. Dark, gritty, and set in the Australian Outback.

The Proposition is a phenomenal movie, really one of the best modern westerns made. I'll keep an eye out for the others.

Watched Rio Grande for the first time last weekend. Not sure what to say, other than movies sure have changed over 70 years. Is that considered a good western?

Back