Whacha Been Up To......

Screwed up two sheaths for this knife before finally getting it right on the third try. Made the same mistake twice in a row by not making the inside of the welt wide enough for the little heel/guard thing. (What do you call that thing?) Pretty happy with how it turned out in the end.
DFFOkWF.jpg

RFCmLTZ.jpg
Very nice. I call em a finger guard, not really a choil and it servs the same purpose as a guard. Yep tightest part of the sheath has to fit the widest part of the knife. With the way I do my welts I look for about 3/8s of an inch clearance between the hump fo the welt and the knife. This also takes into account the distance from the knife to the top stitching line, Bout 3/8s total.

Very nice. I call em a finger guard, not really a choil and it servs the same purpose as a guard. Yep tightest part of the sheath has to fit the widest part of the knife. With the way I do my welts I look for about 3/8s of an inch clearance between the hump fo the welt and the knife. This also takes into account the distance from the knife to the top stitching line, Bout 3/8s total.
Sounds like a good rule of thumb.

So packed up and took a trip. Boo kitty did not get to go:

FPtjBIw.jpg

We met one of our sons at the Grand Canyon.:

wsKC40p.jpg

Nichole had never been and it'd been 44 years since I was there:

GIucXic.jpg

alKNNF3.jpg

Zg6rGTl.jpg

Saw lots of wildlife up close:

Q1x0Qkl.jpg

ZdXL34A.jpg

Had plans on taking some product pics the next morning with the canyon in the background but it was snowing so hard that you couldn't see the canyon:

sB0eeiq.jpg

Still were able to get a few:

lIvGFdd.jpg

J26mm2O.jpg

Back home we've been busy too.

Kkby1H6.jpg

bdSQiBI.jpg

oPy6BjP.jpg

1THPHRy.jpg

JsLvOSb.jpg

3YpmBym.jpg

ILLNzud.jpg

Whacha been up to?

ziByAxu.jpeg

FouDxKd.jpeg

Quick and dirty photos of belt I finished yesterday. In comparison my current belt (also made by me) with patina. The old belt is about 2mm thick so I wanted to amp this new one with ~6mm thick one. Both have full brass hardware with brass pins etc.. Edges are not perfectly finished yet but I thought I'd let the patina and wear take care of it.

ziByAxu.jpeg

FouDxKd.jpeg

Quick and dirty photos of belt I finished yesterday. In comparison my current belt (also made by me) with patina. The old belt is about 2mm thick so I wanted to amp this new one with ~6mm thick one. Both have full brass hardware with brass pins etc.. Edges are not perfectly finished yet but I thought I'd let the patina and wear take care of it.

Nice job!!👍

So packed up and took a trip. Boo kitty did not get to go:

FPtjBIw.jpg

We met one of our sons at the Grand Canyon.:

wsKC40p.jpg

Nichole had never been and it'd been 44 years since I was there:

GIucXic.jpg

alKNNF3.jpg

Zg6rGTl.jpg

Saw lots of wildlife up close:

Q1x0Qkl.jpg

ZdXL34A.jpg

Had plans on taking some product pics the next morning with the canyon in the background but it was snowing so hard that you couldn't see the canyon:

sB0eeiq.jpg

Still were able to get a few:

lIvGFdd.jpg

J26mm2O.jpg

Back home we've been busy too.

Kkby1H6.jpg

bdSQiBI.jpg

oPy6BjP.jpg

1THPHRy.jpg

JsLvOSb.jpg

3YpmBym.jpg

ILLNzud.jpg

Whacha been up to?

Fantastic. Pics...... Great leather work........Do you miss riding the range yet.......?????????

Parts 🤔 Right..😉....

ziByAxu.jpeg

FouDxKd.jpeg

Nice work! Tough to take pics of belts ain’t it?

I just finished this horsehide pocket holster for a S&W 2" J-frame. It was handstitched using Ritza Tiger thread.

i-sFZXbvq.jpg
Very nice. Horsehide is an excellent leather for such an application. Are you worried about dye transfer at all? It has bit me even after a couple of years.

Fantastic work my friend!

I just finished this horsehide pocket holster for a S&W 2" J-frame. It was handstitched using Ritza Tiger thread.

i-sFZXbvq.jpg
This is a really nice looking holster. Well done.
Very nice. Horsehide is an excellent leather for such an application. Are you worried about dye transfer at all? It has bit me even after a couple of years.

Fantastic work my friend!
Thank you, Dave. You folks at Horsewright have been pumping out some incredibly beautiful leatherwork as well.

Sidebar: Does horsehide not like to take dye?

Sweet......Neat loop on that other one...😉..........Fine job sir......I love it...... THANK YOU MUCH!!!!
Thank you, J. May it be with you for a long time! 😁

SM1rR1N.jpeg

Finished this wallet last night and took a pic today. It has total of four pockets as pictured. This was my first work with two layers at the back so that you have to think the folding.. and it worked! It has some cosmetic flaws overall but pretty darn happy about the result!

SM1rR1N.jpeg

Finished this wallet last night and took a pic today. It has total of four pockets as pictured. This was my first work with two layers at the back so that you have to think the folding.. and it worked! It has some cosmetic flaws overall but pretty darn happy about the result!
Very nice work! I dig it!

This is a really nice looking holster. Well done.

Thank you, Dave. You folks at Horsewright have been pumping out some incredibly beautiful leatherwork as well.

Sidebar: Does horsehide not like to take dye?
Thank you sir.

On the horsehide its not the horsehide. It accepts dye well, well kinda different but its a different leather. I worry about dye transfer from any kind of leather. I've seen it enough times that I do worry about it. So say a purse strap on a white blouse on a hot summers day. Or a pocket holster in the pocket of a pair of khakis on that same hot summer's day. Even belt linings. Seen it.

So dye transfer is the #2 reason I don't dye leather. If I have a customer that wants a black holster I'll get black, tannery done, drummed dyed leather. Its available by the foot from a couple places both Wicket and Craig and Herman Oak. Same with other colors.

#1 reason that I don't dye leather anymore is that dyed leather does not have the lifespan that undyed leather has. It just doesn't. I have numerous customers that live and work in some of the harshest places on the planet. I'll get a knife or two back from the same outfit and they want new sheaths. Now all the old ones look like they've been tied to a rope and drug by a truck down a gravel rode for miles and miles. Invariably, the dyed sheaths were cracked and the non dyed sheaths were not. They might of been ridden hard and put away wet but the leather was not cracked. After seeing this enough times to get it through even my head I quit dyeing leather. Now I'll still get beat up and abused sheaths back in for a new one but the leather is not cracked. Once leather cracks there is no fixing it. I've even been bribed (by a retired judge), with a bottle of expensive Single Malt Scotch to make a dyed black sheath. Have to hang my head, but it worked and he paid for the sheath too. He wanted a black sheath for when he was dressed up. Well known here locally I won't normally dye leather.

Beat up, used and abused, abraded and torn. But not cracked:

zvZbjax.jpg

y8fqVHO.jpg

Last edited:
SM1rR1N.jpeg

I too am digging it! Ain't said that in a while.

Back