Whacha Been Up To......

Another consideration is the wear and tear on exposed threads, being on the outside it will present the threads to damage and possible breakage in a situation where the person is against things. One reason that some people will use a groover to have the thread sit down below the surface to avoid wear. I don’t do that myself as I pull the thread tight enough
G2

My experience suggests that that would be an extreme and uncomfortable situation. In the event that the cord ever did get torn (though it would not likely unravel more than a few holes - tie a knot and the lesta would not leave the knife blade exposed) the cool thing is that anyone could repair with some 3mm paracord. Kevlar cord would not be excessive. :)

Decided to make SHEATH #2 for a puukko I have been trying to sell. I think SHEATH #1 was a bit too radical for most people. I like both of these.
The x-cross stitched front seams are - I think - are pretty cool. Apparently my 2¢ is only worth 1¢ :oops:

Anyway I PRESENT - what I've been up to during the weekend : this next iteration of a sheath for my greenheart puukko.

View attachment 2494290

View attachment 2494291

Less of a conventional puukko sheath but a more standard belt sheath with a bit of uncommon. ;)

View attachment 2494292

This was the SHEATH #1 that received a somewhat underwhelmed response. :( What is wrong with it??? 🤔

View attachment 2494295
T
Nice job on these🙂👍

I like the one with the blue green cord 👍 That’s a lot of work , I use flat needles when I do this what a PIA lol

Exactly, it’s unlikely to happen but something to consider, especially if the person is a contractor. I had a horizontal sheath that a fellow wore everyday at a his job in a hardware/wood store and he rubbed against shop equipment often enough that he actually wore through the exposed side of the sheath! Just flat out wore a hole into the leather! I was very surprised!
The threads were not touched because the forming of the sheath was out farther than the stitch line
But that took a couple years to make the hole, sheath still held the knife though
😇
G2

Recents:

PXeFSCP.jpg

rsWMKbx.jpg

This scabbard was out of Wicket and Craig chestnut saddle leather not my usual russet. Water Buffalo overlay holster for a 5" 1911.

CLglt1Q.jpg

Nichole has been busy too finishing off two more Win Carriers Both are made from water buffalo:

q0Y6IR7.jpg

uUliHxW.jpg

Magnet closure and padded dividers in the interior:

m2i56h2.jpg

7CrEcWe.jpg

YROd4jy.jpg

They call it black water buffalo but its a grey to my eyes:

bHLk1S9.jpg

j3HGW7O.jpg

Qi2hoPK.jpg

Took the same pattern and is running with it as a prototype:

hEiQDMq.jpg

You guys are always inspiring to see your work, well done guys!

This one is another of my horizontal adapters. The knife is a Civivi Stormridge fixed blade with Nitro-V steel, quite slim bladed and handled but works well. It came with one of those kydex mount thingy but I never cared for them that much, a bit bulky.

While this looks simple, well I guess it is simple ;) but for a small fiddly thing it takes a bit of time to make/fitup to make it work properly and still look good. The bottom fastens onto the sheath via a set of hardware and above those are the base of the snaps, the leather then wraps around the sheath, folds back down onto itself and snaps in place. This style draws your belt closer to the sheath when you snap it down, and you can easily unsnap and remove the sheath from your belt quickly without having to take your belt off.

Blade is about 4" long and the adapter is about 2 3/8" wide
Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

Rides comfortably above my right front pocket so you can sit down with it on and bend without it poking you. Makes it easy to draw the knife and returning the knife I slide my fingers down to the tip of the blade to guide it in...safely ;)

Have a great Wednesday folks!
G2

Last edited:
another go at a lined sheath here- some nice veg tan deer skin. The throat overlays are a first for me, so they're not perfect by any means. A good jumping off point, though, I'll do it again next time I have something going on that calls for it.

still need to build a belt attachment

hyMAUhV.jpg

I'm thinking of making a leather collar for my Gränsfors axe. Any tips on how to make pattern for the collar so that the leather goes around the shape of the head? Wrap paper around and trace?
Yep I've heard of folks using padded mailers instead of paper to make patterns as it is thicker like leather (so it doesn't throw your measurements off) but will still bend well like paper.

hyMAUhV.jpg

I'm thinking of making a leather collar for my Gränsfors axe. Any tips on how to make pattern for the collar so that the leather goes around the shape of the head? Wrap paper around and trace?

Dave is spot on, that's one way to figure out how to wrap leather around before you start cutting leather, saves some time material and headaches.

A few years back I was drafted to make an axe sheath for my daughter's father in law, fortunately for him he was a nice enough guy that I took on the project. Photobucket has decimated many photos since they did what they did, but I was able to dig those images up and saved them into my flickr account and replaced the images in this thread that might give you some ideas.

Small axe holster

So take a peek in there for some ideas, he still uses it to this day, very handy
G2

Been super busy around here:. Nichole not only got all our taxes ready for the CPA but whipped out these two in between times:

The brown one went to a fellow BF member that is on the road a lot.

FpTQLyd.jpg

I finished off some sheaths for some outside knives:

PgRFWAA.jpg

iqra3sg.jpg

psT5MeF.jpg

SHNFnei.jpg

Set of steak knives for my Sister In Law:

oZChouv.jpg

qXhkU4d.jpg

Other knives and sheaths:

U4d1RhM.jpg

lH8EO49.jpg

This one had a pair of spur straps to go with it:

Eo5B3rI.jpg

H8zVYG1.jpg

oS1h9VX.jpg

JUsdpYW.jpg

nyVxyHJ.jpg

Lots more knives and belts. Lots of belts. Finished off that group of twelve:

86OmNZc.jpg

wkwRPIP.jpg

qHPSz4C.jpg

Two more after. The first also for a fellow BF member.

6M3cOoc.jpg

XW5qSjl.jpg

And a Loop Holster for an auction to benefit the Boy Scouts down in Bakersfield:

JtaK0UW.jpg

Lil busy what ya been up to?

Last edited:
Been sup[er busy around here:. Nichole not only got all our taxes ready for the CPA but whipped out these two in between times:

The brown one went to a fellow BF member that is on the road a lot.

FpTQLyd.jpg

I finished off some sheaths for some outside knives:

PgRFWAA.jpg

iqra3sg.jpg

psT5MeF.jpg

SHNFnei.jpg

Set of steak knives for my Sister In Law:

oZChouv.jpg

qXhkU4d.jpg

Other knives and sheaths:

U4d1RhM.jpg

lH8EO49.jpg

This one had a pair of spur straps to go with it:

Eo5B3rI.jpg

H8zVYG1.jpg

oS1h9VX.jpg

JUsdpYW.jpg

nyVxyHJ.jpg

Lots more knives and belts. Lots of belts. Finished off that group of twelve:

86OmNZc.jpg

wkwRPIP.jpg

qHPSz4C.jpg

Two more after. The first also for a fellow BF member.

6M3cOoc.jpg

XW5qSjl.jpg

And a Loop Holster for an auction to benefit the Boy Scouts down in Bakersfield:

JtaK0UW.jpg

Lil busy what ya been up to?

Fine work !!!!!👍👍👍

Screwed up two sheaths for this knife before finally getting it right on the third try. Made the same mistake twice in a row by not making the inside of the welt wide enough for the little heel/guard thing. (What do you call that thing?) Pretty happy with how it turned out in the end.
DFFOkWF.jpg

RFCmLTZ.jpg

Back