What’s your favorite traditional pattern?

The GEC #76, Serpentine Gunstock Jack is my favorite pattern.
Mine is currently @glennbad for new covers, so I'll post an older picture...

The Krack-a-Jack version is my all-time-grail knife. Never see one for sale though. (hint hint, I know a couple of you have them) :)

I too am a huge fan of the GEC 76 and the gunstock pattern in general. Good luck on that Krack-a-Jack....

I found the standard Northfield edition after a few years of searching and it’s almost the same, sans shield and etch. Oddly, the Primitive Bone it’s shown with it here has become my favorite.

fd90f5.jpg

Another Root Beer Float?! Now one of 24 I guess.
ot3nrt.jpg

Older GEC stag really is good. Other stag 76’s I’ve seen are just as good.
1071bmq.jpg

The Western Outlaw moose version is great as well. That etch is fantastic!
mmwc0.jpg

I have several more of the 76’s and am still on the hunt as well, if anyone wants to part with one.

Other than that, I really like the larger cigar patterns and the older GEC 78 clips are great. Those have bear trap springs...

The 77 spear Northfields are among my favorites as well.

I suppose it depends on which way the wind blows each day!

Man, after seeing your guy's 76's, I had to have one myself. My quest led me to this example:
R8WcfoD.jpg

l9vS1Ez.jpg

m83B5GI.jpg

I love the size of the 76 and it fits so well in the hand!

Beautiful knives draggat! In time I’ll acquire more too.

Thanks! It took me about 4 years to track these down. It was all by accident really.... found them all within weeks of each other. They pop up on the exchange every once in a while. Good luck! It can be frustrating, but the hunt is a big part of the fun!

I have one #76, probably my all-time favorite knife pattern from frame to blade choices. Mine is currently waiting in line at Glenn's shop for a re-handle. Can't wait to get it back.

Hello, I just thought this thread could spark an interesting discussion. I haven’t posted in this section much, but I am becoming less interested in modern folders and more interested in traditionals. Anyway, I like the sowbelly pattern. Unless I am mistaken, not many companies make them. The only cutlery manufacturers I know of that make the sowbelly are Hen N Rooster, Case, Schatt and Morgan, and Rough Rider. I would like to have one made by GEC but I didn’t see one in their lineup.

Well, since this thread has popped back up, I'm curious if the OP has picked up a traditional yet and if so, whatchya think?

I still have many, many "standard" patterns to try but of the several I have so far I first very much like the Case Mini Copperlock. I'm a big fan of back locks anyway but this particular design is likely my favorite and one of my favorite pocket knife designs regardless of the family tree. And I have some fine Spyderco examples that I'd been very protective of over the years but this beats all of those. It's a great size, not too big, not too small. Looks great and performs just as well.

For slip joints, I have to first say that I tend to prefer two-bladed models. I really like being able to sharpen one blade in a certain manner, and then the other in a different manner. For example, I like the master blade to just come off a 300 grit diamond, get a light stropping and done. A good aggressive edge that works well for many diverse tasks and is easy to maintain. The secondary blade I like to take at least to a black Arkansas and then strop. The more refined edge is great for push cutting for things such as cardboard. It's about more than just having different blade shapes and sizes but also the flexibility to tune them to your preferences. Right now I'm loving the Mini Trapper and Canoe patterns but I honestly haven't found one yet I didn't like. no matter how many blades, size, etc, these are just great knives and so fun to get involved with!

Thanks! It took me about 4 years to track these down. It was all by accident really.... found them all within weeks of each other. They pop up on the exchange every once in a while. Good luck! It can be frustrating, but the hunt is a big part of the fun!

Funny how that goes. I looked for a nice schrade walden 856 for years then I got three really nice ones within a few months of each other.

Well, since this thread has popped back up, I'm curious if the OP has picked up a traditional yet and if so, whatchya think?

I still have many, many "standard" patterns to try but of the several I have so far I first very much like the Case Mini Copperlock. I'm a big fan of back locks anyway but this particular design is likely my favorite and one of my favorite pocket knife designs regardless of the family tree. And I have some fine Spyderco examples that I'd been very protective of over the years but this beats all of those. It's a great size, not too big, not too small. Looks great and performs just as well.

For slip joints, I have to first say that I tend to prefer two-bladed models. I really like being able to sharpen one blade in a certain manner, and then the other in a different manner. For example, I like the master blade to just come off a 300 grit diamond, get a light stropping and done. A good aggressive edge that works well for many diverse tasks and is easy to maintain. The secondary blade I like to take at least to a black Arkansas and then strop. The more refined edge is great for push cutting for things such as cardboard. It's about more than just having different blade shapes and sizes but also the flexibility to tune them to your preferences. Right now I'm loving the Mini Trapper and Canoe patterns but I honestly haven't found one yet I didn't like. no matter how many blades, size, etc, these are just great knives and so fun to get involved with!
I have actually had a few since I started this thread. I received a couple as Christmas gifts. A stag handled Casexx sodbuster and a large Casexx trapper with red handles. The other day I bought a yellow delrin Rough Rider sow belly with carbon steel blades. I would post pics but I haven’t figured out how to do it on my phone.

I have actually had a few since I started this thread. I received a couple as Christmas gifts. A stag handled Casexx sodbuster and a large Casexx trapper with red handles. The other day I bought a yellow delrin Rough Rider sow belly with carbon steel blades. I would post pics but I haven’t figured out how to do it on my phone.

That's great. Hope you're enjoying them!

Isn’t that the truth. I was trying for over a year to get my hands on a Grinling always showing to the sale post a minute late. Then within a month or two I had acquired 3 Grinling’s. As far as the hunt goes it definitely makes these knives more enjoyable. Not that the knives aren’t beautiful pieces of craftsmanship already, but when it takes you forever to track them down acquire them it makes you appreciate them even more!

Back