What’s your favorite traditional pattern?

Gary, I'd feel the same if I had that knife :cool: Or even one with a Spear...:thumbsup:

Regards, Will

Great posts!

This question comes up now and then. I'll answer the same way I have the last few years.
My favorite pattern is the Trapper.
My favorite Trapper was made by John Lloyd, who makes wonderful knives at fair prices. This one is on the slim side.
What has kept it in my pocket 90% of the time since I received it is:
1. This Trapper is 4" and is perfect size for my carry and use.
2. Stag is my favorite cover material and these covers are just wonderful. I love the shadow pattern, and the slim shield.
3. The blade is a CPM-154 clip blade which is my favorite blade and steel. I find the clip blade works for me in most of my daily knife use.
4. Walk and talk is great! Pull is a 5 in my estimation. I should be able to open this knife when my fingers get older and don't work as well.
If I lost this knife I'd have another made as close to this one as possible.
I know this knife gets posted a lot but I spend a lot of time here and I like what I like!

TfXmrbp.jpg
Post away...I want it every time I see it ;):)

Nice!!!! What’s the blade steel?

It's D2, Reese doesn't use it as much as other steels nowadays. D2 has fallen out of favor with a lot of folks (I love the steel for a user), but it keeps a nice toothy edge. He heat treats to a 62.5 hardness so it takes a diamond plate (I use a Coarse DMT Diasharp 325 mesh) to touch it up.

Last edited:
I don't know about pattern specifically, but I definitely have a favorite style. Give me a pen/double-end jack any day of the week, and will be a happy man.

Earlier I posted that I had a favorite for each Work , Sunday , and Feel Good .
For Work is an old Tylors Eye Witness with Sheepfoot and Pen blades

For Sunday is a Northfield 77 Barlow in Desert Ironwood and For Feel Good is a Northfield 43 in Stag

Harry

I cant say I have a favorite pattern. I know I gravitate to single spring knives and switch out single blade and opposite end Jack's. The two other constants, the frame has to curve and one blade needs to be straight!

I prefer smalls for EDC, so that's more important than a particular pattern. I'm partial to the Toothpick, Barlow, and Peanut patterns, but I guess my favorite would be the equal end types, like the Eisenhower. Something about their symmetry is very pleasing.

Back