What’s your favorite traditional pattern?

What's my favourite? It's really tough, probably Pen types, single-spring 2 blades. I tend towards single blades as well but I do admire multis even if I carry them less these days. Facetious answer: my favourite knife? The next one :D:cool:

Dirt Traps right?! :D ;) :thumbsup:

"Favorite" would be tough pic. Finding myself partial to 2 blade single springs lately.

These have been my most carried for the last few months. Looking forward to adding a 301 in elk and stainless pretty soon.

kd2CQAz.jpg

Lately I've fallen in love with the Case 3" Texas Toothpick. When folded there are no tang sticking out just smoothness. It just disappears in your pocket, just leaving a wrinkle like footprint on the outside of your jeans.

TYUA4Xw.jpg

As a bonus I've just learned that, at least here in the EU, if you happen to have forgotten this into your pocket when you are about to get checked in for a air travel, most likely they won't take this as it is under 6 cm(2,36") in blade lenght and is not a lockable blade. Despite of the rules in your home country as international aviation rules will apply.

The Case CV blade steel is easy to sharpen/profile and holds on to the edge for a fair amount of time.

UyaQbOR.jpg

I have two favorite patterns and swing back and forth between which I'll be carrying. The first is the copperhead at 3-3/4" long and resembling a small folding hunter, the second equal end frames varying from 3-3/8" to 4" length cattle knife or scout knife. There's a third "pattern" of knives that I love, the Bob Loveless style; in pocket knives I only have 2 but they are big favorites of mine. Both of those are Boker W.C.Davis Hunter II models. One is a lockback while the other is a slipjoint. The olive green slipjoint sees the most use. I like it more for some reason, like we all just seem to be attracted to something for reasons unknown! Stag copperhead and brown bone cattle knives stay my constant favorites.

I'm actually not that picky about frame patterns, but I absolutely love split-back whittler configurations. The combination of a stout main blade with two small secondaries for detail work seems to be the perfect balance in multiblade folders (for me;)).

IMG_20180606_155617.jpg

~Chip

Last edited:
I like Canoes. I only have two so far, but I will acquire more. Mua-Ha-Ha.
I also like canoes. I think I currently have 52 of various sizes, configurations, and makers.
But my first knife when I was a kid was a Colonial Forest-Master, and I'm still VERY fond of scout/camper/utility patterns, especially Alox SAKs.
I also am quite taken with sowbelly stockman knives. I have "only" 6 at the moment, but I don't think I've ever seen one I didn't admire.

- GT

I would say my favorite pattern would have to be a stockman. Doesn’t have to be a large one as an Old Timer 340T was my main carry for years. I find the three blades cover just about anything I need it to do for cutting tasks. After that would be a 2 or 3 layer Swiss Army knife. Anything more I find too large for pocket carry.

My favorite has varied over the years. Currently I don't really have single favorite, but I am usually content with a 1 or 2 blade Jack, or a 3-blade Stockman in my pocket. Though I carry a SAK Cadet or Pioneer most of the time, so I guess just based on recent time-in-pocket it would be the camper/scout pattern.

Great posts!

This question comes up now and then. I'll answer the same way I have the last few years.
My favorite pattern is the Trapper.
My favorite Trapper was made by John Lloyd, who makes wonderful knives at fair prices. This one is on the slim side.
What has kept it in my pocket 90% of the time since I received it is:
1. This Trapper is 4" and is perfect size for my carry and use.
2. Stag is my favorite cover material and these covers are just wonderful. I love the shadow pattern, and the slim shield.
3. The blade is a CPM-154 clip blade which is my favorite blade and steel. I find the clip blade works for me in most of my daily knife use.
4. Walk and talk is great! Pull is a 5 in my estimation. I should be able to open this knife when my fingers get older and don't work as well.
If I lost this knife I'd have another made as close to this one as possible.
I know this knife gets posted a lot but I spend a lot of time here and I like what I like!

TfXmrbp.jpg

Back