What’s your preferred folder size

Wondering what size of FOLDER is most popular. I’ve never seen an official size metric so I used some logical (but maybe not very defendable) measurement ranges and associated size categories to them.

What size do you prefer?

Size:

2.50” - 3.25” = Small
3.30” - 4.00” = Medium
4.00” + = Large

My favorites are definitely smalls, I love a number of mediums but most of my favorite folders tend to be smalls.

Guess I'm in the small camp. Live in MA but spend a lot of time in RI, which has a 3" limit.

A 3 1/4” is the smallest I can use and up to a 3 7/8” for deep pocket carry. Anything larger than that it’s clipped to my pocket. I also carry a large vantage that’s 4 3/8” clipped to my pocket and sometimes a Buck 110 slim pro with a pocket clip at 4 7/8”. So I have a big spread in size usage. Lol. I will admit that while at home taking it easy I mostly have a 303 cadet at 3.25” in my pocket.

I prefer "Smalls" relative to your definition. I consider them to be medium sized knives however. Small is when you get down below 2.5" blade length with moderns. I tried larger moderns but I just didn't feel comfortable using them around other people. 95% of what I cut with a pocket knife now is with a Vic Small Tinker (3.3" closed length). It fits in my watch pocket in my jeans. So, it doesn't get all banged up with all the other pocket debris and still cuts nicely in my world.

I'd say the sweet spot for me is on the larger side of medium at 3.5-4". That being said I do like large folders as well when they're done right, and I daily carry a SE Dragonfly so I appreciate small folders too...Once again, I find the answer to which knife I prefer being, well... all the knives :rolleyes:

3"-3.25" (blade) with a clip. A little smaller if it's flopping around in the pocket.

It depends on what you're measuring. With "modern folders", the common assumption would be blade length. With traditionals, it seems to be closed/handle length.
There's a weird 0.05" gap between the top of small & bottom of medium... but usually people just reference their favorite range without classifying.
I've become tolerant of 3.25" bladed modern folders, though; so I'm a solid medium in your poll. I've got a couple at 3", or just under; and, while I might like the knives, I consider most of them at least somewhat awkward to handle/use due to their size.

I prefer medium+, about 3.6" to 3.75" blades. Of the knives I carry regularly- PM2 is the smallest and Military is the largest.

I prefer medium size.

75% of my folders fall into the medium range.

20% - small

5% - large

One small and one medium for me.

Based upon your standard I prefer small and medium.

Almost everything I have in folders are 3 inch to three and a half inches. Many are 3.25 inches.

I have a few that are shorter but 3 to 3.5 inches seem to be my preference.

I carried a 2.5 inch Vic Cadet for a month. I never want anything smaller than that. I don’t see how anyone can use super small stuff.
That’s anything under 2 1/2 inches in my book.

Back